4 replies to this topic

#1 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,461 Thanks
  • 2,527 posts

Posted October 10, 2015 - 04:59 PM

So I saw this on youtube, and thought I'd give it a try. Not sure if I like the results yet or not. I know there are a couple of techniques out there to use, but I tried the simple way. Bucket of water, three different paint shades (JD Green, JD Yellow, and Sabre Silver), and a hair dryer. A little messy, but I think with a little more practice, I might get it down. 

As you can see, the pto shield was just one that I grabbed off of one of my tractors, so it wasn't stripped, primed, and finished coated. I think if it was however, the results might have been a little better. I also used warm water in the bucket, which I think was too warm as the paint had a hard time separating from each other. The other thing I don't like about this method is, you really can't wet sand the part afterwards, due to only applying a single layer of paint. From my research, you basically dip your part then clear coat. As you can see in the picture, the results aren't smooth at all, and with no way of being able to wet sand to smooth it out, a clear coat finish won't make it look any better. 

I'm also trying a different technique on one of my spare hoods. A friend of customizes cars, and ran a couple of ideas past me, that sound rather simple and neat. I pulled out the old hood, but didn't do any prep work to it. Just painting over the original finish. I starting laying down the base coats, along with the speckles, so hopefully tomorrow I can start on the customizing of the finish coats. Again, something different, and not sure how it will turn out or if I'll even like the finished product, but I have to try it just for curiosity sake. 

Edited by johndeereelfman, October 10, 2015 - 05:00 PM.

• Alc, KennyP and jd.rasentrac have said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,602 Thanks
  • 38,985 posts

Posted October 10, 2015 - 05:18 PM

The dash on my Alice was a decal of sorts. The used an epoxy primer, then a base coat. Then a dip in warmed water with the 'decal' laying on top. A clear coat over the finished product. Way different than what you are trying to do.

• Alc and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#3 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,379 Thanks
  • 3,958 posts

Posted October 11, 2015 - 12:11 AM

#4 karl OFFLINE  

• Member No: 38218
  • 923 Thanks
  • 698 posts

Posted October 11, 2015 - 07:30 AM

Looks like "duck pond" camo!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,415 Thanks
  • 4,880 posts

Posted October 14, 2015 - 07:20 AM

I've been watching those videos on hydro dipping also, some look good, not sure about others.