• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ODN OFFLINE  

ODN
  • Member No: 75258
  • 18 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted October 10, 2015 - 03:50 PM

I'm a new member here with a '72 Massey Ferguson MF-14.  It has a 3 point hitch, mower deck, dozer blade, and a garden plough (not the 550 Rototiller).  Overall, it's in good shape for 43 years old, but I need to do some work on the hydraulic mower deck lift assembly, because the deck hangs crooked (lower on the left side) when it's raised, and so I can only cut evenly with the deck set all the way down.  I'm also dragging the left mower deck wheel on the ground all the time, because the left side barely raises, where as the right side comes all the way up.

I checked all the connecting arms - everything is in order.  I took the cover plates off between the seat and the instrument panel, and the issue is that the the left arm assembly on the mower lift shaft is positioned lower than the right arm assembly, which explains the problem, I think.  I read a 2013 post by Moosetales, and he had removed the shaft from the frame and freed the two arm assemblies, so I removed the square-head bolts and applied some WD-40, but no amount of anything is encouraging these two arm assemblies to loosen up.  Tried 3-in-1 oil, too.  The shaft will move easily within the bushings on both ends, but the two arm assemblies are frozen tight to the shaft, so this prevents the shaft from moving enough to allow it to slip out of the frame so that I can free the arm assemblies. 

Any ideas on how to free these arm assemblies?  If I can free the left one, I won't need to remove the shaft or the mower lift assembly - I can simply adjust the position of the left arm assembly and secure it with the set bolt.  I've tried tapping the arm assemblies with a hammer, tried knocking the shaft through with a hammer - you name it.  Nothing is budging and inch.  Only thing I haven't tried is heating it with a torch - not sure that's wise?

On the parts diagram attached, the parts I'm referring to are numbered 2 and 4, and the shaft is numbered 1.

Spent a day on this with no luck, so I appreciate any suggestions!

Attached Thumbnails

• mower lift arm assembly.JPG

Edited by ODN, October 10, 2015 - 03:53 PM.

#2 limebuzz ONLINE  

limebuzz

• Member No: 795
  • 861 Thanks
  • 876 posts

Posted October 10, 2015 - 04:43 PM

Nice to see another Ontarian aboard. Nice looking tractor. Sorry I can't help, never worked on one myself. But,i'm sure you don't need those wheel weights. Lol,so iwill gladly take them off your hands 

• ODN said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted October 10, 2015 - 04:51 PM

Get some Acetone and mix it 50% with ATF! that may help loosen the LH side for you, WD40 does nothing about loosening rusted parts!

• ODN said thank you

#4 ODN OFFLINE  

ODN
  • 18 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted October 10, 2015 - 05:40 PM

Thanks guys!  Will try acetone and ATF and see how I fare. 

As for the wheel weights, LB, I've taken them off to clean them up - won't be parting with those any time soon.  :smilewink:

• limebuzz said thank you

#5 limebuzz ONLINE  

limebuzz

• Member No: 795
  • 861 Thanks
  • 876 posts

Posted October 10, 2015 - 05:58 PM

Good luck getting it figured out. I hear they are great work horses. 

• ODN said thank you

#6 ODN OFFLINE  

ODN
  • 18 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted October 12, 2015 - 06:48 AM

I'll post an update, hopefully good news.  Did the Thanksgiving thing yesterday, so the garage was off limits.

My father-in-law had a '72 MF-12 with the "hydra speed" transmission.  He lived on about 6 acres outside of Sault Ste. Marie, and he worked that tractor - grass cutting, snow clearing, wood hauling, even used it to launch and pull up his boat in spring and fall.  He passed suddenly in 2003, and my mother-in-law passed in 2004.  I don't know what the family did with the tractor - I think it went with the sale of the house, but I know better than to ask.

Anyway, that was my first meeting with the MF garden tractor series, and I was hooked.  This 14 is even more impressive with its shaft drive, so I'm looking forward to restoring it fully and keeping it running.  I thought about buying a new sub-compact, even considered a new Cub XT3 (shaft drive, cast iron transmission), but in the end, I really just wanted to completely restore one of these old Masseys.  When I've finished, I'll post the before, during, and after photos.  My garage isn't heated (yet :smilewink: ), so I won't likely get much done before next summer.

• DH1, limebuzz and KennyP have said thanks

#7 pianotuner OFFLINE  

pianotuner

• Member No: 7799
  • 55 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted October 12, 2015 - 11:26 AM

PB Blaster is much better!  It's good to 1,800  degrees.  That and a torch as ofter as you can.

#8 ODN OFFLINE  

ODN
  • 18 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted October 12, 2015 - 03:06 PM

Got my mower lift system working respectfully, although I have a few tweaks to make.  Now, I've got a bigger problem - new post coming!

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Edited by ODN, October 12, 2015 - 03:17 PM.