• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted November 08, 2015 - 11:35 AM

I would like to get a set. Can you PM the cost?

Cucumber Clunker is a great looking tractor.

#62 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted November 12, 2015 - 01:41 PM

The dash on this tractor is cracked and missing most of the flange around the top. Using JB Weld and pieces of Lexan, I reinforced the broken bottom mounting holes and filled in a missing piece on the top. The many cracks were gouged out on both sides with a Dremel and round nose carbide bit. JB Weld to fill them in. Bondo putty is used to fill in the small defects after sanding.

I am not sure how to add material to the thinner sides and create a new flange. The metal brace is on the inside so there is not room to add much thickness. I have some fiberglass fabric that may be enough to build up on the inside and then mold with resin and body filler.

I received word from the gentleman in Alberta that his reproduction dash tower is complete and mounted to his tractor. I will be getting my dash back for this tractor in December along with one reproduction dash. I have not gotten any information if he will make his reproduction units available for sale. Hopefully he will post on the forum.

Attached Thumbnails

• Image 01.jpg
  • Image 02.jpg
  • Image 03.jpg
  • Image 04.jpg

• Alc and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#63 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 10:20 AM

Painted and mounted the fender braces that GLgrumpy sent. I like them. Thanks for the suggestion and offer GL.

Attached Thumbnails

• Image 01.jpg

• limebuzz, KennyP, Rock farmer and 3 others have said thanks

#64 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 03:49 PM

The motion control lever was nearly worn through from both sides of the guide bracket. Used the torch and some filler rod to build it up and then ground and sanded it to shape. The 1/4" pivot hole was worn oblong so I brazed the hole full and drilled a new hole.

The tension spring is broken/missing to keep the lever in the neutral slot. As seen in another thread, I used the wood block and o-ring method to create the tension needed. 3 or 4  1" X 3/4  o-rings works good.

Enjoying another project of yours. Brings back a lot of memories of my own & following your other project religiously.  Glad to see the o ring method is working for you too. I have so much catching up to do on this forum.

• VTXrider and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#65 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 04:10 PM

I agree with Kenny on letting the MMO work for you for awhile. Mine would smoke for a few minutes on start up then slightly while running. I used about three gas tanks before I noticed a difference. Now I just get a puff of blue smoke upon start up. I also as Kenny mentioned put some in the gas as well.

My right fender sagged a bunch too...I guess that's caused by drivers leaning on that fender. I did some prying & got it back level but like you I think it needs additional support...thanks to Grumpy. When I done my rebuild I used aluminum rivets where the fenders meet the side panels. I have had two brake so I will be replacing them with steel rivets. :thumbs:

• KennyP, VTXrider and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#66 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 06:39 PM

Hi, guys, looking good on the dash fix. I now have a Power King dash, similar stuff, similar breaking at all the mount holes and edges. Guess I'll be trying something to fix, sure isn't any better or newer ones out there.  Glad those fender braces worked, I like them on mine. Odd, how such a simple thing can make big difference isn't it.  I suppose a guy could bend some of those up and sell if one wanted.  I see these often at swaps, someone always tearing up a D series Horse it seems. Think that is how I got mine.

• VTXrider and Sawdust have said thanks

#67 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 04:40 PM

Spent the day finishing the tractor. Found a small cup of ambition somewhere. :beer:

The dash was the last thing that needed to be completed. I used the spare dash that I received back from the fellow in Canada. Still have to finish repairing the dash that came with this machine. This will have the 3pt hitch installed from the new acquisition I made recently of another 1973 990.

Attached Thumbnails

• Image 01.jpg
  • Image 02.jpg
  • Image 03.jpg
  • Image 04.jpg

• DH1, KennyP, sacsr and 1 other said thanks

#68 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,395 Thanks
  • 39,658 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 05:10 PM

That is a sweet looking tractor! Great job!

• VTXrider said thank you

#69 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 07:45 PM

I want a red one now. Looks nice glad you got it together to join the others.

#70 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 09:15 PM

Great documentation of your rebuild! Thanks for posting it. The tractor looks good and ready to work!