• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#16 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted October 16, 2015 - 04:15 PM

Ordered more parts. Hydro filter, air filter, PTO v-belts and headlamps.

The rear yoke on the drive shaft is worn and the shaft wobbles a little in the hole, with the roll pin removed.

Shimmed the pinion gear on the steering and replace the sector gear with one in better condition. The sector shaft wobbles from being worn oblong. Not too bad at about 1/12 turn of the steering wheel, better than it was.

Edited by VTXrider, October 16, 2015 - 04:40 PM.

• holdenboy1960 said thank you

#17 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted October 19, 2015 - 05:24 PM

Received parts today and installed the head gasket, hydro filter and air filter. Checked the 4411 bulbs with a battery and they will do nicely. $8 each free shipping on Ebay.

One front wheel was replace in the past with a 3/4" hub by removing the sleeve. Made a 1" sleeve and brazed it on. I have a pair of wheels that have to be cleaned and painted. After that, new tires. All of my extra tires are junk.

The front mounting bracket was bent and allowed the axle to move back and forth. Heated it with rosebud torch tip and beat it back. The axle is less sloppy now. I have thrust bearings coming from McMaster Carr for the spindles.

Attached Thumbnails

• Image 01.jpg
  • Image 02.jpg
  • Image 03.jpg

Edited by VTXrider, October 19, 2015 - 05:55 PM.

• olcowhand, DH1, Rock farmer and 1 other said thanks

#18 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted October 20, 2015 - 03:07 PM

Removed the tire from the front rim and both are ready for cleaning and paint. (Wheels are not my favorite to prep).

Parking brake disc caliper was frozen and needed the push pins freed up. Reassembled with lithium grease and installed it on the transaxle. There is a bolt head behind the disc that rubs when the pads wear. Ground the head to give space for future wear.

Installed the thrust bearings on the spindles. Cleaned the axle and pivot bolt. Greased liberally and installed, along with the steering linkage.

Attached Thumbnails

• Image 01.jpg
  • Image 02.jpg
  • Image 03.jpg

• olcowhand, Rock farmer and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#19 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted October 21, 2015 - 11:24 AM

Cleaned and painted the front wheels.

The starter generator was next up for repair. It rubbed inside when rotated but still worked. Easy dis-assembly and the problem was obvious. End bushing was worn.

I took two S/G to a local auto electric shop. This place is like an old time 40s or 50s hole in the wall repair shop. I set them on the counter and without looking the guy says new bushing on your GM Delco. He did not have one but removed the good one from my broken end plate and pressed it in the good one. A set of brushes and good to go.

He said he will look for an end plate in his "archives" and if he finds one, I will get a bushing and brushes for it and have a good second S/G.

Attached Thumbnails

• Image 04.jpg
  • Image 01.jpg
  • Image 02.jpg
  • Image 03.jpg

• olcowhand, Alc, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#20 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted October 22, 2015 - 04:45 PM

Painted most of the engine parts and mounted it. Installed the S/G and tested it. Cranks the engine over nicely.

Dropped off the front wheels for tires. I baked the wheels in the oven this morning, 200 deg for one hour to harden the paint.

Also dropped to rear wheels off to remove the tires. These are the newer style offset center rims that can be reversed to widen or narrow the width. Not sure what to put on them, ags would be nice. Not many choices for a 15" rim.

Attached Thumbnails

• Image 01.jpg
  • Image 02.jpg

• olcowhand and DH1 have said thanks

#21 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,696 Thanks
  • 8,890 posts

Posted October 22, 2015 - 06:09 PM

Not sure what to put on them, ags would be nice. Not many choices for a 15" rim.

Mahindra's smallest tractors are using a 15" rear rim now. I think they may be too wide, though. I thought they looked like 29x12x15's? But the placed I stopped had a half dozen or so, and had a mix of turfs, R1's, and R4's. The turfs were Carlisles, the ag and industrials were Titans.
  • VTXrider said thank you

#22 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 06:09 AM

Looking good. :thumbs:

#23 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 11:51 AM

Mahindra's smallest tractors are using a 15" rear rim now. I think they may be too wide, though. I thought they looked like 29x12x15's? But the placed I stopped had a half dozen or so, and had a mix of turfs, R1's, and R4's. The turfs were Carlisles, the ag and industrials were Titans.

The Mahindra looks like skid steer tires. Carlisle has a turf tire that may fit. http://www.millertir...multi-trac-c-s/

• holdenboy1960 said thank you

#24 mrmr56 OFFLINE  

mrmr56
  • Member No: 62092
  • 202 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 01:05 PM

post-415-0-12603000-1437260527_thumb.jpg I used some 7:60 x 15 implement tires on my 990. They leave about 1" clearance the fender and the top of the tire. So far, I have been happy with them. I also have another set of new ones sitting in the storage building. It seems like my stubby fingers hit the order key twice. I would sell them for $150.00 plus freight. Photo courtesy of larrybl. Thanks Larry.

• VTXrider, Sawdust and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#25 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 01:26 PM

How tall are those 7:60 X 15's?

#26 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 02:33 PM

Carlisle has a turf tire that may fit. http://www.millertir...multi-trac-c-s/

Unless you really like Miller Tire, you might want to shop around a bit.  My usual internet source for tires has those for $50 less per tire. PM for more info.

They also have the same tire in an 8.50" width if you want to go narrower instead of wider than stock.  Those are $136 (+ shipping) each.

Really nice work on this project so far.  You might have to slow down on it though or it'll be finished before winter even starts.  :smilewink:

Edited by Canawler, October 23, 2015 - 02:35 PM.

• VTXrider, Sawdust and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#27 mrmr56 OFFLINE  

mrmr56
  • Member No: 62092
  • 202 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 02:48 PM

Kenny, these measure 29 inches mounted and I did use tubes in mine. The original Carlisle tires that came on this machine would spin with not much dirt in the box blade. The traction was much improved with these even though I haven't worked it much since the tires were replaced.

#28 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 04:01 PM

Unless you really like Miller Tire, you might want to shop around a bit.  My usual internet source for tires has those for $50 less per tire. PM for more info.

They also have the same tire in an 8.50" width if you want to go narrower instead of wider than stock.  Those are $136 (+ shipping) each.

Really nice work on this project so far.  You might have to slow down on it though or it'll be finished before winter even starts.  :smilewink:

I used Miller just to show the tire I was talking about. I would buy locally.

Thanks for the info on the tires.

The fronts are mounted and look good. All new bushings and there is no play on the spindles. The rear rims are in great condition.

I have a built in wait time for continuing this winter. The person in Canada I mentioned, is working on the dash tower molds and return of my dash for this tractor is going to be a while. :thumbs:

I want to get it powered up and running. About all I need for that is the drive shaft installed, which needs some work.

Attached Thumbnails

• Image 01.jpg
  • Image 02.jpg

Edited by VTXrider, October 23, 2015 - 04:03 PM.

• DH1, Alc, backwoods and 1 other said thanks

#29 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • Member No: 62113
  • 1,470 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 05:55 AM

your project is looking good so far , keep flowing the updates plz 

#30 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 08:40 AM

Had overnight grandpa time with my only grandson, Micah. He is 4 and likes "greasy tractors".

Attached Thumbnails

• Image 01.jpg
  • Image 02.jpg

Edited by VTXrider, October 25, 2015 - 08:43 AM.

• DH1 and Alc have said thanks