#1 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6989
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted October 09, 2015 - 12:21 PM

I have a Troy Built Horse from around the 80's. It has a Tecumseh 6 or 7hp motor on it. It has been a pain in the arse every since I got it.  Hard starting, not starting at all, having to run it with the choke on, just a typical Tecumseh. The other night when I was tilling the garden for fall it just all of a sudden started belching white smoke. I assume something bad happened and I don't want to put any more money in that motor. Does anyone know if you can put a Briggs on it and if so what is the Briggs model. I asked my local Troy Built dealer and they said no and you can't get a replacement Tecumseh. They wanted to sell me a new tiller. 

#2 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted October 09, 2015 - 12:45 PM

Yeah that would work. Alot of the newer versions càme that way. A 7 or 8 hp Kohler would also work and was also a factory option on them.
  • DanP said thank you

#3 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,298 Thanks
  • 2,332 posts

Posted October 09, 2015 - 01:09 PM

People put Briggs and Harbor freight engines on them all the time.Later models had Factory equipped Briggs and Kohler magnum engines.If you have problems finding an engine with the same bolt spacing you can always make an adapter plate.

Pull your engine and measure the bolt spacing on the block and crankshaft diameter and length.

Personally I would put a new 6.5 or 8hp honda clone on it.There cheap and parts will be available for them for a long time.OR do what this gentleman did.

• DanP said thank you

#4 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,943 posts

Posted October 09, 2015 - 01:29 PM

The Predator 6.5 from Harbor freight is a popular swap. I think the only difference is you have to get metric mounting bolts and a metric center bolt for pulleys. Don't quote me on that, but it is pretty straight forward.

My old Tecumseh 6 is getting tired, but it still fires after 1 or 2 pulls, not bad for a motor from 1976.

• DanP said thank you

#5 TimW OFFLINE  

TimW
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10778
  • 367 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted October 09, 2015 - 09:49 PM

I agree with the Harbor Freight motor swap and have done several.  One problem I ran into was one style of the front bumpers, or maybe all front bumpers, would not clear the side of the overhead valve motor without some decent modification.  A bunch, if not most, of the 6-8 hp horizontals of the era all have about the same bolt pattern.  You just need to be sure you have the right diameter keyed shaft for the pulley, no taper or threaded shafts.

• DanP said thank you

#6 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 975 posts

Posted October 09, 2015 - 10:28 PM

the 6 1/2 HP HF will work. Besides the aforementioned bolts you'll also need to put a 3/4" flat washer behind the pulley on the crankshaft to maintain pulley alignment.

Mike

• DanP said thank you

#7 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6989
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 08:02 AM

How about a Kohler engine. I saw one for $199.00 I don't know much about the new Kohler engines but the older ones were bullet proof.

#8 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,943 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 08:40 AM

Some of the 78  and up models came with Kohler so they might work if they have correct shaft size and bolt pattern.

#9 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,629 Thanks
  • 7,671 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 09:10 AM

"A better question might be why do you have that dealer?"

• dlang94 said thank you

#10 det12187 ONLINE  

det12187
  • Member No: 75145
  • 22 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 09:22 AM

Replaced Tecumseh motor on an old Simplicity snow blower with a predator 6.5, works great great! Starts on

first or second pull and required no addaptions everything lined right up.

#11 dlang94 OFFLINE  

dlang94
  • Member No: 63471
  • 227 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 09:24 AM

My horse (1980) has a 8hp briggs, so a briggs could easily be mounted on. The only thing I've seen about a replacement motor is if it weighs less you might need to add some weight. I wouldn't trust that dealership.

#12 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 09:46 AM

I would suggest an older B&S or kohler , like mentioned above they used those in the later models and should fit with little modifications.

"A better question might be why do you have that dealer?"

Have to stick up for the dealer on this one, Tecumseh ceased all engine production January 2014 so it is very possible all the engines have left the warehouses and none are available.........