45 replies to this topic

#16 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted October 16, 2015 - 03:17 PM

Thank you. Can do the calves go up only when the engine is running and pumping?

Also here is a pic of the wiring - is the red wire on the left my negative? And the white going into the harness the positive? I believe it is according to the diagrams but don't wanna try it the wrong way.

Sometimes the valves will stay stuck down until the engine is started and the pressure pops them back up.  

As for the cables, the red is the positive and the white is the negative.  If you follow the white down to the engine it should have a large ring terminal attached to the rear bolt on the cast generator mounting bracket.  From there it goes up the front side of the harness and should have a smaller ring terminal that is grounded under the voltage regulator bracket. 

• Manfjourde said thank you

#17 Manfjourde OFFLINE  

Manfjourde
  • Member No: 74288
  • 78 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted October 16, 2015 - 04:11 PM

Glad I asked, thanks. The manual shows it differently but I'll just follow down to the motor and that should be the negative? I'd like to try to fire it up tonight.

#18 Manfjourde OFFLINE  

Manfjourde
  • 78 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted October 16, 2015 - 04:26 PM

Here is the white. Is this the negative on the engine?

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

#19 Manfjourde OFFLINE  

Manfjourde
  • 78 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted October 16, 2015 - 06:32 PM

Well I connected it and turned the key and nothing. When I push in on the break is is clickety almost like notches - not smooth.

When I push the lighter button the starter spins and I get puffs of air from the exhaust. Any initial thoughts on nothing when I turn the key or what I should do?

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

#20 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted October 17, 2015 - 07:40 AM

Here is the white. Is this the negative on the engine?

That's the one.

#21 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted October 17, 2015 - 07:48 AM

Well I connected it and turned the key and nothing. When I push in on the break is is clickety almost like notches - not smooth.

When I push the lighter button the starter spins and I get puffs of air from the exhaust. Any initial thoughts on nothing when I turn the key or what I should do?

This is going to be a really stupid question but.....  Did you put a belt on the starter between this post and your last one?  Just curious as I don't see it in the last post and the engine obviously will not turn without it on.

As for the starter not spinning when the key is turned and then spinning when the button is pushed.  Someone has hacked up the wiring on it and I would guess made the key nothing more than a switch for the power to the coil.  They then added a push button in the lighter hole and wired that to energize the solenoid.  If it works and they did a clean installation there is nothing wrong with that as that is how the earlier cub cadets were built.  Just a matter of if you want it to be original or not I guess.

#22 Manfjourde OFFLINE  

Manfjourde
  • 78 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted October 17, 2015 - 09:14 AM

This is going to be a really stupid question but.....  Did you put a belt on the starter between this post and your last one?  Just curious as I don't see it in the last post and the engine obviously will not turn without it on.

As for the starter not spinning when the key is turned and then spinning when the button is pushed.  Someone has hacked up the wiring on it and I would guess made the key nothing more than a switch for the power to the coil.  They then added a push button in the lighter hole and wired that to energize the solenoid.  If it works and they did a clean installation there is nothing wrong with that as that is how the earlier cub cadets were built.  Just a matter of if you want it to be original or not I guess.

Lol - I did install the belt but after I took that pic.

I tried a combo of turning the key and pushing the button thinking it was what you said but nothing. How can I test the coil to see if it's putting out a spark? I can get the rotation at the flywheel but I am not sure if there is a spark. Sorry if these questions are noob and redundant but I am a noob at this.
  • IHCubGuy said thank you

#23 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted October 17, 2015 - 10:11 PM

So you have the engine cranking but no fire correct?  If that is the case it is either a no spark or no fuel issue.  Quickest way to test the coil is to turn the key on and put a test light on the coil at the wire coming from the switch.  If it lights the coil has power.  Then pull the plug and lay it on the head so it can ground and crank it over again.  If it has a GOOD BLUE spark then the coil and thepoints are good and the problem is likely the carb.  If not you have a bad coil or points that need replaced, filed or adjusted or a bad wire between the coil and the points.

• Manfjourde said thank you

#24 Manfjourde OFFLINE  

Manfjourde
  • 78 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted October 21, 2015 - 09:18 PM

Okay I tried the plug and had no spark. I used a test light and the coil and didn't get anything either. What would be my next thing to check?

I'm worried that the wiring is so not stock I'm not sure where to start to figure how to get a hot plug from the key and turn the starter too. Any suggestions on where to start making sure the key ignition it wired to the starter and coil? I'd love to get this running as it was so cheap but if it's gonna be a ton of work I may just sell it and move on. Thoughts?

Also when I put my thumb over the spark plug hole and cranked it there wasn't a ton of pressure on my thumb. Should there be?

#25 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted October 21, 2015 - 09:28 PM

Okay I tried the plug and had no spark. I used a test light and the coil and didn't get anything either. What would be my next thing to check?

I'm worried that the wiring is so not stock I'm not sure where to start to figure how to get a hot plug from the key and turn the starter too. Any suggestions on where to start making sure the key ignition it wired to the starter and coil? I'd love to get this running as it was so cheap but if it's gonna be a ton of work I may just sell it and move on. Thoughts?

Also when I put my thumb over the spark plug hole and cranked it there wasn't a ton of pressure on my thumb. Should there be?

Which side of the coil had no juice to it?  If it was the side coming from the switch then the current is not making it from the battery.  You did say that when you push the button on the dash the engine cranks over correct?

#26 Manfjourde OFFLINE  

Manfjourde
  • 78 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted October 21, 2015 - 10:35 PM

Which side of the coil had no juice to it? If it was the side coming from the switch then the current is not making it from the battery. You did say that when you push the button on the dash the engine cranks over correct?

I tried both sides of the coil and nothing. When I push the button the engine cranks. I've tried multiple combos of pushing the button and turning the key and nothing different. Just engine cranking, no spark.

Edited by Manfjourde, October 22, 2015 - 09:19 AM.

• IHCubGuy said thank you

#27 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted October 22, 2015 - 03:15 PM

I tried both sides of the coil and nothing. When I push the button the engine cranks. I've tried multiple combos of pushing the button and turning the key and nothing different. Just engine cranking, no spark.

Well with the key on and a test light on the coil wire from the switch with no light you got no juice.  So at this point you have a bad switch or a broken or bad wire from the switch to the coil.  What I would do to see if you can get any fire is to run a jumper wire from the battery to the switch side of the coil and then see if you get spark.  You should at that point if the feed to the coil is the only problem.  If that works and you get it to fire and there is no other foreseeable problems then at that point I would figure out if the switch is bad or not and get a new one if it is and also get a new wiring harness as well.

#28 Manfjourde OFFLINE  

Manfjourde
  • 78 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted October 31, 2015 - 05:43 PM

I think I have sad news, when I took the plug out today and looked into the cylinder the piston didn't move at all when I powered the starter. Does it have any hope other than a rebuild?

I am thinking of selling it anyhow since I found a 1964 JD 110 that I've been wanting and got it so the Cub will definitely go to the back burner.

Also, how much would these wheel weights be worth? I was going to sell them anyhow but now that the engine needs more help than I expected I'd rather sell them.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_10261.JPG

#29 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted October 31, 2015 - 06:04 PM

Not a good sign when the piston doesn't move! Nice weights!

#30 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 280 Thanks
  • 269 posts

Posted November 03, 2015 - 08:24 PM

Turn the engine over by hand and see if the piston moves, if it doesn't you can get your money back and then some by parting it out. Sounds like you may have the green fever anyway.