• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 318User OFFLINE  

318User
  • Member No: 54653
  • 7 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted October 08, 2015 - 10:11 PM

I bought a 318 about two months ago off craigslist. Has a 50" deck and nothing else, only paid 350! When I first got the tractor it ran good. Sometimes when I would turn the key, the starter would just click....had to cycle the key a few times and it would kick over, after a few mows I gave it a bath hand now it won't start. When I turn the key the dash lights come on as they should, but when I try and turn the key to start....nothing. I've checked the neutral safety switch and seat switch....they seem to be fine. Pto is in the off position...am I missing something here? Only other issues with the tractor are a oil leak, leaky power steering cylinder & the tolerances on the front clutch need to be adjusted. The pto doesn't always want to engage the clutch immediately. I feel like I got the tractor at a steal, ideas are welcome glad I have found the board...here's a pic of the unit because everyone likes pics.

Sean

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

#2 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,446 Thanks
  • 3,995 posts

Posted October 09, 2015 - 02:49 AM

I hope, you've checked the battery, too.

#3 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted October 09, 2015 - 05:36 AM

By chance when you washed it did an electrical connection come off ?

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted October 09, 2015 - 06:21 AM

Check the battery voltage first. If it is bad try charging it. If the voltage doesn't come up replace the battery. If it is okay then check that electricity is getting to the starter. If it isn't, you need to clean and check all of the wire connections in the starting circuit. Then the starter solenoid. If electricity gets to the starter but it doesn't turn you will need to repair the starter.

There is a troubleshooting guide in the Kohler Manual that you can download. Good Luck, Rick

#5 318User OFFLINE  

318User
  • 7 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted October 09, 2015 - 07:09 AM

Battery is almost new, no issues there. If I jump the relay going to the starter... It turns over, will not fire though. It's almost as if the safety circuit has a break somewhere not allowing spark to the engine or the required 12v to the solenoid.

Edited by 318User, October 09, 2015 - 07:09 AM.

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,495 Thanks
  • 39,728 posts

Posted October 09, 2015 - 07:17 AM

Check your Pm's at the top of the page. I'll be sending you something.

#7 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted October 09, 2015 - 08:31 AM

Battery is almost new, no issues there. If I jump the relay going to the starter... It turns over, will not fire though. It's almost as if the safety circuit has a break somewhere not allowing spark to the engine or the required 12v to the solenoid.

Does it have an fuel shut off at the carb?  Turns over when you jump the solenoid but will not not fire.  Is that fuel solenoid opening, or are you not getting spark?     Washing your equipment off is ok but be careful where to shoot that water.  I never open the hood to wash mine off.  Enough water can get where I don't want it with it closed let alone drenching everything with water.

#8 318User OFFLINE  

318User
  • 7 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted October 09, 2015 - 09:08 AM

I agree with the washing thing and I did open the hood to do it. It's been about 3 weeks since I did it though I would imagine that it would be dried up by now..

#9 pidjones OFFLINE  

pidjones
  • Member No: 76750
  • 56 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 08:41 PM

Key switches are kinda well known for getting crudded up. You symptoms are classic. Might be able to resurect with spray cleaner. Even the evil WD40 can help displace moisture some.

#10 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted October 28, 2015 - 01:52 PM

Now mine has done a no start twice i noticed the pto stwich was bumped or the drive lever wasnt completely in the netural postion either of these will cause it too

#11 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted October 28, 2015 - 02:47 PM

One thing on a 318 at least the P218 Onan powered ones is there is an ignition box on them that can fail and cause this.  My dad did the same thing with his a few years after he bought it.  Used it one day and then washed it and it wouldn't start.  Called the Deere dealer and they came and put a new ignition box on it and it's worked ever since.