#1 lumberzac OFFLINE  

lumberzac
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 76072
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted October 08, 2015 - 04:41 PM

Hey folks,

Im zac and im in oklahoma. Right now im making all my money building stuff out of pallet wood, and im saving up money to run power to my building to start making a woodshop for myself. While im working on that, i want to start thinking about next spring. Right now i have my garden kind of in a bad spot between the house and a carport. Not a whole lot of room to work in, and only around 6x12'. Im moving it to a better spot, and itll be something like twice as big.

Doing all this weeding and that sort of thing all by hand sucks, so i want a little tractor that can run a tiller, pull a cart, etc. I really like the mid sixties AC B10s and 12s and Landlords. Those seem a little hard to find, any tips there? Im not real picky on brand or anything, but i just love the way tractors with the little light buckets look. Any similar styles more common?

Thanks for the help,
Zac
  • Alc said thank you

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,366 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted October 08, 2015 - 05:41 PM

:wave: Welcome to the forum, neighbor! Brands seem to run in areas. I don't see many of the early AC's around here, mostly 70's & 80's. Just depends what's easy for you to find implements for!

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,748 Thanks
  • 7,519 posts

Posted October 08, 2015 - 06:45 PM

Welcome to GTT. You will probably be limited to what is in your area. Craigs List is popular for finding GTs but also check the bulletin board at your local supermarket and any free weekly papers in the area. With patience, you may find a decent machine for a very good price. Let friends and relatives know that you are looking for a tractor. It is surprising what is hiding in the backs of barns. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, October 08, 2015 - 06:47 PM.

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,444 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted October 08, 2015 - 07:08 PM

Welcome to GTTalk Zac ! I'm like you with the Allis Chalmers B tractors , have one that's going to be for my wife someday , good luck on your tractor hunting !

#5 lumberzac OFFLINE  

lumberzac
  • GTt Junior
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted October 08, 2015 - 07:33 PM

Thanks guys. How much would you say would be a good price for an easy resto? I really wouldnt want to do serious work, but i dont mind getting a motor running, replacing belts/filters or cosmetic work.

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,366 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted October 08, 2015 - 07:37 PM

Prices vary some due to location. What may be cheap in one area, may be overpriced elsewhere.

#7 lumberzac OFFLINE  

lumberzac
  • GTt Junior
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted October 08, 2015 - 07:56 PM

Alrighty. I appreciate the advice. Sometime before spring hopefully ill find something decent and ill let you guys know.

Thanks again,
Zac

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,218 Thanks
  • 28,589 posts

Posted October 08, 2015 - 08:10 PM

:welcometogttalk:
Someone mentioned implements. It may be a good idea to look at your local Craigslist to get an idea what is the most common, then look for the perfect tractor.

As for pricing, almost all of us have found great deals. Some are free to cheap, some were a deal because we wanted it and the price we paid!was!worth it.

I have bought several tractors for 50... But one of my best deals was my Suburban 12. Paid 250 for it. Dependable workhorse and it came with a mower deck and snow blade. Have spent the last 4 yrs getting a few goodies for her and a few others I've picked up.

Expect to end up with more in the attachments than the tractor.

#9 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 764 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted October 08, 2015 - 09:27 PM

I agree with the others. I have an Allis Big ten that needs work that was given to me from my wife's grandpa. Its a cool machine and runs well, but parts and attachments are hard to come by in my area. I find whole units going for $250 to $750 and all seem to need something.  So search craigslist and see what tractor brand seem common in your area, or even search for a tractor with several attachments already. I'd stick with an older machine as they seem to be simple to fix and can generally take a good beating.  When you do finally go to look at them, most will need noticeable work right off the bat. If a tractor needs a tune up, carb rebuild, belts, tires, battery, etc. you can be into $200 to $300 for repairs. So take everything into consideration and make a fair offer. Usually people will deal, and everyone will make out well.  Oh yea, then save for more, because you can't have just 1 GT....  welcome to the forum!!

• MH81 and John Arsenault have said thanks

#10 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 3,988 posts

Posted October 09, 2015 - 02:47 AM

#11 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted October 09, 2015 - 08:32 AM

#12 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted October 11, 2015 - 09:49 AM

Welcome!

Can't agree more that it seems to be a regional/local thing as to what (if anything) is in your area! I lived in Florida for a while, and the pickin's were sparse and expensive - mostly deere and 2 wheel gravelys, few implements. Here in Tennessee, its better, but still nothing like up in the North East!

Another way to look at it though is once you get what you want, you can keep it running anywhere you are! If you are planning to drive to visit relatives/business trip/vacation/etc, check craigslist where you are going for deals a couple weeks before hand and while there. We travel in a pickup truck, and I have brought "treasures" home from vacations more than once! It helps expand your "tractor search range". IF you have a suitable tow vehicle, you can always rent a uhaul trailer one-way to get something home if you are willing o spend the $$ for THAT particular one...

One thing that you will find, and that attracts many people to GT's is that there are many different styles of GT. Hydro/manual transmission, mechanical/electric pto, belt/shaft drive, lift systems, etc! It's a fun hobby to just see what is out there and how problems have been handled over the years by different manufacturers!

But like somebody said, careful! its really hard to just have ONE............

• John Arsenault said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: garden, shed