• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 boli51 OFFLINE  

boli51
  • Member No: 47909
  • 37 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted October 08, 2015 - 04:15 PM

Found an old wards plow-trac, I believe it was made by simplicity from how the serial no. reads (87sim5828a) mod. 5969. I have basically done a complete tear down on it. I am in the process of putting it back together but I'm not sure how the ratchet pawls and trip fingers go together and what is there function. It came with the 28" heavy duty tiller which I am also in the process of rebuilding. It's a long process but worth it once I get everything back together. I thought someone out there must have some experience with these. I got another one too but haven" brought it home yet. Will post a few pics.

Attached Thumbnails

• 022.jpg
  • 015.jpg
  • 021.jpg
  • 023.jpg
  • 035.jpg
  • 014.jpg
  • 047.jpg
  • 050.jpg
  • 052.jpg

• DougT, Gtractor, Alc and 4 others have said thanks

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,583 Thanks
  • 3,899 posts

Posted October 08, 2015 - 07:35 PM

Very Nice machine!

The ratchet pawls give you a differential so you can turn, yet allow both drive tires to pull when the pulling gets tough. 

• boli51 said thank you

#3 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted October 08, 2015 - 08:05 PM

Montgomery Ward sold the 5828 from 1953-1956. It is a Simplicity model V first released for the 1954 model year.

Garry

• Gtractor, Alc and boli51 have said thanks

#4 boli51 OFFLINE  

boli51
  • Member No: 47909
  • 37 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted October 08, 2015 - 08:26 PM

Found an old wards plow-trac, I believe it was made by simplicity from how the serial no. reads (87sim5828a) mod. 5969. I have basically done a complete tear down on it. I am in the process of putting it back together but I'm not sure how the ratchet pawls and trip fingers go together and what is there function. It came with the 28" heavy duty tiller which I am also in the process of rebuilding. It's a long process but worth it once I get everything back together. I thought someone out there must have some experience with these. I got another one too but haven" brought it home yet. Will post a few pics.

Very Nice machine!

The ratchet pawls give you a differential so you can turn, yet allow both drive tires to pull when the pulling gets tough. 

Thanks much for this info and if you don't mind I have a couple questions the answers to which will help get this beast back in the garden. 1 do the trip fingers go all the way thru and rest in the notch in the pawl assembly. 2. does the trip finger clamp/collar freewheel around the axle housing sleeve.