Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone ever work on a control valve like this ?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted October 08, 2015 - 05:33 AM

Now that I got my Ford tractor running one issue I need to address is the main backhoe cylinder drifts down fast , . I was going to raise it off the ground support it with a jack , cap the lines then see if it still drifted , I replaced the chevron piston seals in the outrigger cylinders years ago , if I remember the seals on these are some soft type of leather maybe ? So more then likely that will be the problem but last week found the owners manual for the Pippin hoe and shows a control valve with check balls in it , Would that be for " load check " and if they were damaged could that cause the boom drift ? On the hoe swing system it uses 2 single acting cylinders and there I know the control valve leaked internally , the hoe would drift side to side which ever side was down hill . My cure for that was a double check valve that worked fine for that problem . I could do the same on the boom control if it's in the valve if needed .

Attached Thumbnails

• valve.jpg

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted October 08, 2015 - 06:27 AM

Do you notice any less lift or down power?
Bad orings?
  • WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted October 08, 2015 - 07:35 AM

Do you notice any less lift or down power?
Bad orings?          

It wasn't too bad when I used it years ago but now just drifts pretty quick , enough it would be a pita to use for more the digging a stump ,I have to put a chain around the boom to the frame if I want to move the tractor at all because it drifts so quick .

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,414 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted October 08, 2015 - 07:38 AM

It wasn't too bad when I used it years ago but now just drifts pretty quick , enough it would be a pita to use for more the digging a stump ,I have to put a chain around the boom to the frame if I want to move the tractor at all because it drifts so quick .

If there is leather seals in that cylinder, they may need soaking in oil to get them to work again. Might have dried out from non-use.

• Alc said thank you

#5 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted October 08, 2015 - 08:59 PM

Just a thought, but you may be correct the check valves are what prevent cylinders from loosing fluid in undesirable dirrections. The seals may also pose a problem but if you were to cap the lines while in a desired location, and the cylinder did not move the seals in said cylinder are not bad! My opinion would be to eliminate the ability for fluid to move in either direction and see what happens first. Valves should be an easy fix(check valves that is).
  • Alc said thank you

#6 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,169 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted October 09, 2015 - 05:15 AM

On the hoe swing system it uses 2 single acting cylinders and there I know the control valve leaked internally , the hoe would drift side to side which ever side was down hill . My cure for that was a double check valve that worked fine for that problem .

Al: 

I'm having a hard time trying to figure this out.

Please explain where the check valves were installed.

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted October 09, 2015 - 05:18 AM

My thoughts the same Eric , check the cylinder first  . I will need to replace the seals on the top of the valve where the spools come through , again never saw a control valve that uses what looks like a shaft seals , all I've ever worked on have O-ring just down from the outer portion of the valve . What's nice about this if the valve just needs those seals I should be able to remove them without putting the spools out

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted October 09, 2015 - 05:24 AM

Bruce , I'm not even sure those are a type of check but at the end of the spools there's what looks to be an extra part of the spool with springs , maybe they are there just to " self center " ?  But looks like they have ports in them too .

#9 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,169 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted October 09, 2015 - 06:11 AM

Bruce , I'm not even sure those are a type of check but at the end of the spools there's what looks to be an extra part of the spool with springs , maybe they are there just to " self center " ?  But looks like they have ports in them too .

Al, I was questioning the check valves which you installed in the swing circuit.

I can't help with your question about your control valve, but sludge from sitting a long time could be holding a check ball off its seat.  .....Rust is doubtful if the valve was filled with oil.

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted October 09, 2015 - 07:30 AM

If it drifts that fast you can hear if it's bypassing the piston seals with an engine stethoscope or even just a stick held against cylinder and your ear. The right cylinder on my hilift crawler drifts and if I lift it and shut off the engine I can hear the bypassing oil just standing close. It also has leathery seals.
  • Alc said thank you

#11 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted October 09, 2015 - 07:35 AM

If it drifts that fast you can hear if it's bypassing the piston seals with an engine stethoscope or even just a stick held against cylinder and your ear. The right cylinder on my hilift crawler drifts and if I lift it and shut off the engine I can hear the bypassing oil just standing close. It also has leathery seals.          

That's a  great idea !!!  , Yea it's drifting really fast

Bruce it could be rust , there might be enough moisture in the oil to freeze ?  The steel line blew open while it was sitting :( .

#12 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted October 09, 2015 - 11:08 AM

Bruce here's the type of external duel pilot operated  check valve I installed on the swing cylinders , each one is a single acting cylinder with one hose attached . It locks the hydraulic fluid in the cylinder until there is pressure to lift the check ball .

Attached Thumbnails

• double check valve.jpg

Edited by Alc, October 09, 2015 - 11:08 AM.

• Bruce Dorsi said thank you

#13 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted October 09, 2015 - 11:30 AM

Some of these control valves do not have O-rings in them. They rely on a precision fit of the piston into the body for a seal. A little scratch and things won't hold their position anymore. Rust can be a real problem also.

• Alc said thank you

#14 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted October 09, 2015 - 05:38 PM

With your new post About the system being compromised at some point I was just thinking that air in the system can cause drift and spongy controls. Have you tried to do a good bleed and possibly a flush of your hydraulic system?

#15 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted October 09, 2015 - 08:02 PM

Eric it was doing it before , from the time I got it but it got worse and worse now at the point where even my laziness reach has reached the limit lol