• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Banjo123 OFFLINE  

Banjo123
  • Member No: 74514
  • 17 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted October 07, 2015 - 06:32 PM

my 1965 23d had gas in the oil. I've never turned off the fuel valve before. I'm assuming that's the problem. Do you think I've ruined my engine?

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,388 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted October 07, 2015 - 06:34 PM

Have you ran it much with the gas in there?

#3 Tim Bergfeld OFFLINE  

Tim Bergfeld
  • Member No: 60783
  • 218 Thanks
  • 449 posts

Posted October 07, 2015 - 06:35 PM

It has been my experience gas in the oil comes from it getting past the rings. And it happens when it is running the compression forces it past the piston rings into the crankcase.

#4 Tim Bergfeld OFFLINE  

Tim Bergfeld
  • Member No: 60783
  • 218 Thanks
  • 449 posts

Posted October 07, 2015 - 06:37 PM

Is your float stuck dumping gas into the cylinder/cylinders

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted October 07, 2015 - 06:41 PM

Depends if you ran it a long period of time like that.....

#6 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted October 07, 2015 - 06:46 PM

How much gas are we talking? A litle will evaporate when it is running. A lot can thin it enough that it can do damage. That would go back to Kenny's question of how long it has run. The next question is how did it get there? With the updraft carb on a 23D it would have to be pretty full to get in through the intake. There is a drain hole in the bottom of the airhorn so you should have noticed it. Have you flooded it bad where it wouldn't start? Does it have a fuel pump? If it does, that would be my first guess as to how it got in there, especially if its real flooded. Otherwise, I wouldn't think you could flood it that bad through the carb.

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, Alc and 1 other said thanks

#7 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,473 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted October 07, 2015 - 08:15 PM

I had this problem years ago on a Briggs engine. Fueled up and went into the house to eat. Luckily I left the hood up and later when getting on the tractor I noticed the fuel level in the tank had dropped. Checked the oil level and it was way over full and it smelled like gas. 

Sticking float needle was the cause. 

• boyscout862 said thank you

#8 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted October 07, 2015 - 09:31 PM

Kohler engines have fuel pump gasket right to the crankcase and when diaphragm goes bad, the gas goes in that way. Briggs usually have Vacumn pumps up high if ANY that have line to case too for vac to run it. not sure bad seals can allow gas that way or not?? Would think pump wouldn't run at all to move gas if that happened. Seems all the old Updraft Briggs carbs leak when older. I have to shut gas off on my Speedex's with those all the time or have quite a puddle under it. As noted above, is long way up the intake to dump in engine, seems odd to be able to do that. BUT, the crankcase DOES have that big rubber tube from case vent to the air cleaner tube side and maybe gets pulled in from there? Many times the extra gas does settle over by intake tube and maybe it could pull in?  Not much help am I?  Next!

• Alc said thank you

#9 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted October 07, 2015 - 09:47 PM

my 1965 23d had gas in the oil. I've never turned off the fuel valve before. I'm assuming that's the problem. Do you think I've ruined my engine?

I'd change the oil and start shutting off the fuel valve when you park it.  Keep checking the oil see if that fixed it.  If it's been running for 50 years maybe it didn't get hurt too bad....

• MH81 said thank you

#10 Banjo123 OFFLINE  

Banjo123
  • 17 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted October 08, 2015 - 02:03 AM

Hm. Thanks guys. I really don't know how long it's run that way. It just worried me ..

#11 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted October 08, 2015 - 02:30 AM

Change your oil and shut the gas off when ever you park the engine, gas is getting past your needle and seat , this can happen when you haul tractors too, we haul alot to shows and we shut them off when loaded and turn 'em back on to unload. The bouncing lets gas get past the needle and seat. Don't have the problem with fuel pump engines where the gas tank is lower than the carb.

#12 karl OFFLINE  

karl
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,032 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted October 08, 2015 - 03:37 AM

That's why the last engine I did rings in had such a clean crank case!

#13 Banjo123 OFFLINE  

Banjo123
  • 17 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted October 08, 2015 - 10:05 AM

Should I take any Precautions to see if I hurt the engine? And also I never fill my gas tank all the way up so I would think it would be hard for gas to back up through the manifold. Maybe I'm wrong here? I was noticing what Doug t said above and it made me think..

Edited by Banjo123, October 09, 2015 - 01:24 PM.