• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Manfjourde OFFLINE  

Manfjourde
  • Member No: 74288
  • 78 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted October 10, 2015 - 09:07 AM

Thank you all! I appreciate the tips and help. The paint showed up finally and hope to paint this weekend.

The can says 34 hours between costs but I'm wondering if I should do a light coat and let it flash and then a heavy coat and let the heavy coat sit for 24 hours?

Also how long should I wait before turning parts over and doing the other side?

#17 Manfjourde OFFLINE  

Manfjourde
  • Member No: 74288
  • 78 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted October 10, 2015 - 08:47 PM

Well the wife helped me out and had the kids all day while I was able to paint! I used hardener 8:1 ratio and no thinner. It sprayed a bit thick but it didn't feel like it needed thinning. I did one light coat and let it flash then one other thick one.

For the wheels I did a light coat all around and then heavy except for the side that will face outward. T I will mount them and then use pizza boxes to cover the tires and finish off the outside of the wheel.

The green was significantly thicker than the yellow and I love both colors. I know the Bolens fans will dog me for not going with the right green but price was s factor and I really like the deep green and yellow together.

Thank you all so much! It went great so far!

How long do you think I should wait until I turn the parts over and do the other sides?

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

• Alc said thank you

#18 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted October 11, 2015 - 10:31 AM

I always do soon and just test touch for sticky-ness when I paint. BUT, I found it is best to have old tubing, tool, metal piece or stuff to put under edges that touch your table or board as they DO want to stick down on it, even tho you thought dry enough. Either that or the new paint glues it down maybe?  I usually do the inner side or not so shown first, save the best or showing side for the final coats. Those you can leave around a big longer. Best to wait a few days before assembly, paint is much harder and won't absorb hand marks, oils and such.  I do sometimes scratch something putting it together, makes you mad. 

• Alc said thank you

#19 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,745 Thanks
  • 8,920 posts

Posted October 11, 2015 - 11:55 AM

I flip after 24-36 hours, assemble after one week cure time.

#20 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,287 posts

Posted October 11, 2015 - 10:04 PM

I hang parts with clothes hangers and do them all at once. Once you have painted you need to wait the recommended time. Did the 36 hrs say with or without hardener? I'd think without. You might look on the hardener and see if it has a different time.

• Alc said thank you

#21 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,509 Thanks
  • 3,387 posts

Posted October 12, 2015 - 06:39 AM

Is there a reason you guys use such slow drying paint?