• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Manfjourde OFFLINE  

Manfjourde
  • Member No: 74288
  • 78 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted October 07, 2015 - 12:47 AM

Does anyone know the correct ratio of hardener to paint? I called Valspar and the guy was not helpful at all.

Also I am having trouble getting Naphtha. I did find some of the sunny side Naphtha at a local store - can anyone chime in if it works well to thin? Does the Valspar tractor paint need thinning?
  • chieffan said thank you

#2 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 988 Thanks
  • 672 posts

Posted October 07, 2015 - 01:17 AM

No I would not recommend thinning with naptha. Use paint thinner you should be able to get some at any paint supply, home depot, Lowes, ace just to name a few. As far as hardener, why are you using a hardening agent? Paint with thinner should be good, implement paint should set fine without it. I only use a hardener if for some reason I need to lay multiple layers of paint in quick succession, such as with high end auto paints with mettalic. This is only because I wouldn't want the mettalic to run together or pool.
  • limebuzz, Alc and chieffan have said thanks

#3 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted October 07, 2015 - 01:31 AM

i have only used naphtha as a thinner when a satin/semi flat finish is desired. Otherwise use paint thinner recommended on product label
  • Alc and chieffan have said thanks

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted October 07, 2015 - 02:58 AM

Some paints may use Xylol or Xylene as the Case/IH ones do. No other thinners will cut it to clean up, cept maybe Laquer thinner. I was told Case paint was made by Valspar, don't really know. SO, make sure it isn't that type. If using paint guns, then YES, must be thinned. Would think label has that mix ratio. Lots of fine print on cans now days, most just safety junk, so look hard for a USE info area, heh!

#5 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted October 07, 2015 - 05:03 AM

Last time I used Valspar I had to get their own brand thinner and hardener, first coat I would just paint with thinner then second and third coat use hardener.  what type of thinner you use depends on the finish you want. paint thinner is a slower evaporating thinner, naptha and xylene will evaporate faster.  I believe that the Valspar stuff just needs thinner or mineral spirits (same thing)

Pete

#6 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,736 Thanks
  • 8,912 posts

Posted October 07, 2015 - 06:12 AM

I usually use Valspar. I use the Naptha to thin, and hardener.

8:1:1
  • Alc, chris m, chieffan and 1 other said thanks

#7 Manfjourde OFFLINE  

Manfjourde
  • Member No: 74288
  • 78 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted October 07, 2015 - 08:17 AM

Im using hardener with it because the people who have done so have had good results and I need to wrap the painting up before it gets any colder.

I'm usin a cheap harbor freight purple gun but it lays down quite nice.

I checked the label and it says to thin with naphtha if spraying and mineral spirits if rolling. I wanted to see if the sunny side brand would suffice and if not what others have used as a substitute.
  • Alc said thank you

#8 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,736 Thanks
  • 8,912 posts

Posted October 07, 2015 - 11:28 AM

I use the same exact gun, and am very happy with it also.
  • Alc said thank you

#9 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted October 07, 2015 - 12:20 PM

I too use the VALSPAR equipment enamel. The place where I get it has 2 lines, one is just called Valspar tractor and equipment enamel the other they call "restoration series". I don't know the difference.
Recently they started to carry the Rustoleum equipment enamel, too. I think they dropped the resto series.

Anyway, I just had a retired neighbor spray my Swisher trailmower that I had just sandblasted. He likes acetone as a thinner with the Valspar paint and hàrdener, even in the primer, we used the same series of primer as we did paint.
  • Alc said thank you

#10 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,307 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted October 07, 2015 - 10:00 PM

I always use acetone as a thinner and it works well for me. Never tried Valspar. I almost always buy Rustoleum paints. I've found Flood Penetrol unthinned and sprayed on as a primer bonds well w/ bare steel and paint bonds well to it. It also helps form a really shiny finish. 

Mike

#11 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,500 Thanks
  • 3,386 posts

Posted October 08, 2015 - 06:16 AM

I usually use automotive, single stage urethane, it's like ceramic when it dries. I've used auto type synthetic enamls and single stage acrylic enamel with hardener. Never did base coat/clear coat on a tractor, though several of my old cars have it.

#12 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted October 08, 2015 - 08:20 AM

I use the Vansickle stuff. They say to use the VM&P naptha with that. I tried mineral spirits the first time I painted with it and it turned out like crap. It also says not to reduce, but if you need to, not more than 10%. I cut it 5% and it works fine.

The key is the gun settings. Dont go by what the paint can or gun manual tells you to do. Think of the paint gun as a carburetor, If you run lean you will get a dull dry finish. If you run rich, you will get orange peel or sags. Play with the settings to get a good pattern. You may need to trim back the needle to put in less paint to match the air flow and you may need to increase the air pressure WAY beyond what is recommended from the gun manufacturer.

Here is a few more tips I have learned the hard way.... Stir the hell out of the paint to get all of the solids suspended every time you load the gun..... If you are painting a large project ( truck/ farm tractor) Keep the lid closed on the paint can while you are shooting. The thinner will evaporate while you are painting, making each batch just a little bit thicker

I have not used the hardener. I think Vansickle is 1pt/ gal.

It also helps to have a paint inspector

paint inspector

• Alc, dodge trucker and Manfjourde have said thanks

#13 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted October 09, 2015 - 06:24 PM

Vansickle? Is that something only available locally in a small market? Never heard of it.

#14 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 988 Thanks
  • 672 posts

Posted October 09, 2015 - 09:11 PM

I only recommend paint thinner because he has said he is new to the gun and paint selection. Naptha tends to leave behind chemicals which may unintentionally change the paint and may change the adherence qualities in the cooler months he is painting in. Each painter has to come up with their own methods but for training I always like to keep it as simple as possible, this is only my experience. I guess the best advice I can give is keep it simple while learning as this will allow you more Lee way for mistakes that WILL happen! As far as hardener goes if your paint requires it then add but only the recommended amount. If the paint does not call for it then stay away while learning as you will get longer cure times with which to tweak any small errors. Have fun painting is only as confusing as we make it for you (just kidding).
  • Manfjourde said thank you

#15 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,736 Thanks
  • 8,912 posts

Posted October 10, 2015 - 07:25 AM

Vansickle? Is that something only available locally in a small market? Never heard of it.

shopping.jpg