8 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,493 posts

Posted October 06, 2015 - 07:39 PM

Time to get the apples before they hit the ground.  Picked a bunch of them a couple days ago and got them washed up and ready for the cider press.

Apples-1.JPG   

This morning I got things rounded up an was ready to start the process about 9 AM.  With my help sort of slow recovering from a total hip replacement I had to go it alone this year.   But it went good even though on the slow side.  Had to grind two baskets full, then press them out and go again. Apples-2.JPG   Apples-3..JPG    Apples-4.JPG   Apples-5.JPG   

Got the apples all ground and pressed by noon so took a break for lunch.  Came back out to go after it again and had been invaded by honey bees.  A honey guy has a bunch of hives about 1/4 mile West of us and his bees found the sweet smell of the apple juice.  Apples-6.JPG      Apples-7.JPG

It took right at 3/4 of a 5 gal. pail or whole apples to fill a basket of ground apples.  The press I have has one cast iron cutter wheel about 5" diameter with two cutter knives across its width which is about 6".  This chops the apples up real course and drops them between two cast iron grinder drums with many rows of iron dimples about 1/8" protruding from the drums.  This grinds the apples up much finer for the press.  A basket of ground Red Delicious apples will produce about 5 quarts of juice.

The end results after being strained twice and hot water bath for 10 mins. Apples-8.JPG

Apples-9.JPG   

I got 22 quarts and 1 pint of processed cider.  Plus I have 3 gallons and 8 - 2 liter jugs of unprocessed apple juice.  4 of those 2 liter jugs are in the freezer to a make hard cider or apple jack.  Everything will freeze except the alcohol and that is some good tasting stuff.  We have about 8 quarts of cider left from last year.  Does that ever taste good on a cold snowy evening with the fireplace going and a cup of hot cider with a cinnamon stick.  Good country living at it's best.

Edited by chieffan, October 06, 2015 - 07:44 PM.

• Gtractor, MH81, grnspot110 and 6 others have said thanks

#2 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted October 06, 2015 - 08:01 PM

I have a cider press here that I want to get up and running some day, this summer was not long enough.  How do you make the hard cider? just freeze it and take out the alcohol ?  then what ?  details would be awesome.  Looks like you have a great setup there.

Pete

EDIT-----  why the hot water bath ? is that a way of pasteurizing?

Edited by petrj6, October 06, 2015 - 08:02 PM.

• oldedeeres and chieffan have said thanks

#3 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted October 06, 2015 - 08:32 PM

Would like to find a cider press, cheap.  Got three full size trees One Yellow, one Red Delicious, and Jonathan and two new Snows.

chieffan - you can bring it up to State Center.

That is a good heavy duty wagon you got.

• chieffan said thank you

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,493 posts

Posted October 07, 2015 - 01:45 AM

I have a cider press here that I want to get up and running some day, this summer was not long enough.  How do you make the hard cider? just freeze it and take out the alcohol ?  then what ?  details would be awesome.  Looks like you have a great setup there.

Pete

EDIT-----  why the hot water bath ? is that a way of pasteurizing?

One can freeze apple cider and later thaw it and have regular cider.   Freezing cider and using just the none- frozen part is actually Apple Jack.  Hard Cider is a fermentation process of apple cider.  When I made mine I start with fresh apple juice in a gallon small neck jug.  I got a plug from Herters many years ago that is rubber and fits tight in the top of the jug.  It has a hole in it for a 1/4" copper tubing. Add about 3 or 4 packets of dry fresh yeast to the jug and shake it up good to dissolve the yeast.  Put the plug in the jug and insert the 1/4" copper tube which has been bent in about a U shape.  Put the other end of the tube in a glass of water.  Keep the water level above the end of the tube.  Cover with a dark cloth to keep the light out.  As the fermentation starts you will hear a bubble ever once in a while as the pressure is released from the jug.  When the bubbling stops your Hard Cider is done.  chill and use.  There are several other variations found on the internet.

We hot water bath the cider we want to keep as this is a form of pasteurization.  It will keep indefinitely this way.  Raw cider in a fridge will keep only a few weeks.

• KennyP, oldedeeres and petrj6 have said thanks

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,493 posts

Posted October 07, 2015 - 01:54 AM

Would like to find a cider press, cheap.  Got three full size trees One Yellow, one Red Delicious, and Jonathan and two new Snows.

chieffan - you can bring it up to State Center.

That is a good heavy duty wagon you got.

Most of the old cider presses you find any more are not cheap.  To many people want them for decoration.  Any you happen to find will most likely need rebuilt.  Finding a saw mill to cut the oak the right size or close will be tough also.  The SPF wood we get today is to soft to stand up to the rigors of a cider press.  If you can find some fir, that will work also.

That wagon is a home built job that started as an Allis Chalmers GT.  Worked out real good and only upset it a few times from top heavy loads as the wheels are close together.  I have another made from a Sears GT with a large furnace fan on it.  Want to build another out of an old Bolens frame with a dump box.  That is a work in progress as rebuilding the 1476 has priority now. 

• grnspot110, lyall, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#6 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted October 07, 2015 - 06:13 PM

you can still buy cider press new, they aren't even to horribly expensive. http://pleasanthillg...erm=cider press   this is just one example.  there are lots of other places.  I got mine for $250 but it needs allot of work.

Pete

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 07, 2015 - 09:56 PM

Nice to see you got a nice crop of apples.
I planted 4 semi-dwarf trees 5 yrs ago and two more the next year.
This year one tree had so many apples I had to cull some to save the limbs.
Had nice apples left, but when I went to pick them every apple was gone?
My only explanation is the darn deer got them? I understand they can reach about 8 ft high on their hind legs.
  • oldedeeres said thank you

#8 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,856 Thanks
  • 3,193 posts

Posted October 08, 2015 - 12:29 AM

Deer can reach that high, and racoons will climb right to the top of an apple tree. I have seen both coyotes and foxes picking up the windfalls under my plum and apple trees as well.

#9 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,544 Thanks
  • 3,929 posts

Posted October 08, 2015 - 05:12 AM

We just got some fresh pressed cider last night. Just can't beat fresh cider.