#31 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted October 13, 2015 - 11:06 AM

I've used regular Rustoleum thinned down and shot from a paint gun. Turned out fairly nice, but the black faded after a couple years with a gray tint to it because I did not clear coat.

I have a friend with a trailer shop that takes trade ins. he said they use the Rustoleum thinned just a tad with the white sponge rollers to refurbish the used trailers. He says it levels nicely and you have less waste with the roller and gets better coverage over spraying.

I have read very few positive reviews on the TSC Magic brand of paint, most are negatives.

• Alc and ENafziger have said thanks

#32 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted October 14, 2015 - 07:10 PM

I read on the web that at ACE Hardware they will colormatch their Rust Stop paint . If that's so I could mix my yellow for the outside areas and use the ACE paint for the undersides and air duct tubes ect . Next question in ACE Rust Stop any good ?

#33 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 06:46 PM

Mixed the orange into the yellow paint i had then put a little on a paper plate and went to  ACE  Hardware, they told me they don't color match enamel but they have have tint base in gl sizes  so I think the wrong person was there . Anyway I bought a gallon of JD yellow in their Rust Stop brand . I mixed some of the orange to get the color I was after , it took about 3/4 gl to paint what you see . I will use my old paint for the under sides of the hood grill , air ducts ect . and the ACE brand for what's shown outside of the hood & fenders  .DSCN1947.JPG DSCN1948.JPG DSCN1949.JPG

Edited by Alc, October 25, 2015 - 06:48 PM.

• MH81, KennyP, Cvans and 3 others have said thanks

#34 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 06:57 PM

I like it!

• Alc said thank you

#35 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,334 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 07:19 PM

That's a nice color and a nice paint job too.
  • Alc said thank you

#36 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 07:19 AM

Old girl is looking pretty good, giving her some more life!

• Alc said thank you

#37 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 08:50 AM

Wow!  She's looking nice!  Well worth the effort!

• Alc said thank you

#38 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 10:58 PM

Lookin' good, Al !!  :thumbs:

• Alc said thank you

#39 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted June 24, 2016 - 05:37 AM

Will all good intentions I was planning on spraying the parts I removed inside the garage over the winter ,,,, that didn't happen , thought it would have been a pita to cover everything in the garage  from  sanding ,  overspray ect and the final hammer was both of my wifes cars would have to have stayed outside . Figured OK, wait until spring , it was such a crappy one and then with all the other spring chores  that it took until now to get everything sanding , primed and painted . But it turns out the ACE Hardware paint faded so before I start assembling it I'm going to use the NAPA paint hoping it hold up better . That too needed some orange paint to match but I think I have it very close so I'll do the hood , fenders cowl , and other parts that you can see easily and if there's enough paint everything  . With advise of a fried who did body work , he said to put a coat of NAPA over a recently painted part to see if there was any issues , both are enamel and used the same thinner , I used a brush on a bracket so it's thinker then I would have sprayed . This morning I looked and it was OK , If all is well then tomorrow will shoot the whole thing again and start the job of putting everything back together in the next few weeks

• olcowhand, MH81, Bruce Dorsi and 2 others have said thanks

#40 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,334 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted June 24, 2016 - 11:03 AM

I would wish you God Speed but, considering your current time expenditure on this, it would feel blasphemous somehow...
:poke:

Glad you're making headway again, hope it goes well Al
  • Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#41 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted June 24, 2016 - 11:27 AM

I would wish you God Speed but, considering your current time expenditure on this, it would feel blasphemous somehow...
:poke:

Glad you're making headway again, hope it goes well Al

He might need a little help along the way, Alan!

#42 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 05:49 AM

Made a little more progress , new seals installed in the p/s cylinders . most of the tin work back . new choke cable , . Last night worked on the ignition switch and wiring . Should have done that before putting the cowl on because there was a  8 plug connector buried that the feed to the ignition switch with corroded off :wallbanging:  and the dash doesn't seem to work even after repairing the power feed :wallbanging:

• MH81, Bruce Dorsi, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#43 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 10:48 AM

Paint that doesn't hold up is a real disappointment. Every time I look at our Fordson and see how quickly the TSC paint went downhill I feel bad. Such a nice tractor and I did that to it  :wallbanging:

You tractor is coming along real nice. Your going to be happy when your done. 

#44 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted October 08, 2016 - 05:46 AM

Made a little more headway this week . Adjusted the valves , set the timing and filled the p/s, I was a little concerned that the steering was locked tight I set the new steering wheel on and couldn't turn it because I worked on the p/s cylinders I knew the linkage , kingpins ect wasn't the problem but in the steering shaft or gears them selves . Didn't want to break the wheel or strip the splines I put the nut on with some washers , sprayed some PB blaster down the shaft ,it did break free but I think it should be better . Maybe more use will help . I brakes needed to be looked at , when I moved it last year closer the garage I was on a slight grade pointing towards the house and went to stop it to back up there wasn't any brakes ! Had to drop the loader to stop . Rasied it up with outriggers and ran it with the tires off the ground to see if I could clean the rust off the drums that way . The more I did it the better they got , after adjusting them they don't seem too bad . When I bought this tractor the fellow had mounted the backhoe but didn't have the hydraulics hooked to it . What I did was install a simple push/pull valve between the loader pump and valve it has one in port and two out ports . You push it in the the flows goes to the loader valve ,when pulled it sends the oil back to the backhoe . the backhoe return line back to the tank ( loader frame ) just got a tee Anyway the push/pull valve was so hard to move I had to tap it with a hammer to move it . Again PB blaster and working it back and forth freed it up like new . The exhaust pipe to muffler should be here soon ,then I can finish putting the hood back on . Getting closer !
  • Bruce Dorsi, KennyP and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#45 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted October 08, 2016 - 05:49 AM

You might even get to use it before next summer!

• Alc said thank you