7 replies to this topic

#1 RustyTub OFFLINE  

RustyTub

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2702
  • 25 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted April 14, 2011 - 07:15 PM

My main hobby is the automotive field, I am a lead tech/manager for a VW/Audi Shop. I love building High Horsepower motors for the old Aircooled Vws. I do all my own machine work and custom head building. I have a mill, Lathe, TIG welder, Plasma Cutter, and numerous other machining tools. Here are a few pics I have available I have tons more on my laptop of a Turbo Charged Bug I built last year that runs in the high 11's as a full bodied bug with full interior.

As much as I like building the complete car I really enjoy building the cylinder heads I have a flow bench and everything I need at home to build a cylinder head.

Here are a few of the mild engine build pics I have.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
I will add more pics when I get to my laptop and pull up the pics of the Big builds and I have some vids of the Dyno sessions.

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 14, 2011 - 07:56 PM

My main hobby is the automotive field, I am a lead tech/manager for a VW/Audi Shop. I love building High Horsepower motors for the old Aircooled Vws. I do all my own machine work and custom head building. I have a mill, Lathe, TIG welder, Plasma Cutter, and numerous other machining tools. Here are a few pics I have available I have tons more on my laptop of a Turbo Charged Bug I built last year that runs in the high 11's as a full bodied bug with full interior.

As much as I like building the complete car I really enjoy building the cylinder heads I have a flow bench and everything I need at home to build a cylinder head.

Here are a few of the mild engine build pics I have.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
I will add more pics when I get to my laptop and pull up the pics of the Big builds and I have some vids of the Dyno sessions.

Very nice, I love any type or brand of engine, especially when they are built :thumbs:

#3 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,626 Thanks
  • 3,919 posts

Posted April 14, 2011 - 08:16 PM

Thats what my '74 Thing needs!!! It is bone stock right down to the factory dish top - low compression pistons and the 34PICT3 carb. I don't know how VW sold any of these "Things" with such lackluster performance. This one wouldn't pull a Model T over a corn cob!
:bash:

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 15, 2011 - 06:47 AM

This one wouldn't pull a Model T over a corn cob!

I love that terminology :D :thumbs:

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 15, 2011 - 06:47 AM

I would love to see some videos of the dyno time and the turbo setups :D

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 15, 2011 - 06:56 AM

Yes, I like that kind of stuff too.

#7 RustyTub OFFLINE  

RustyTub

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2702
  • 25 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted April 15, 2011 - 02:38 PM

I will get some Vids posted in the next week or so, It kind of sucks right now I have 6 sets of cylinder heads to finish and 3 engines to build right now. When all I can think about is tinkering with my new GT.

Any way, on the bench right now is a 2332cc motor for a sandrail the goal is 200HP gonna be running her on the ragged edge to accomplish those goals. I also have my personal engine in the works right now a 2387cc that is going to by turbo charged (have not ruled out a twin turbo setup to reduced lag) but this will make 300+hp at the flywheel. all that power for my 65 VW beetle. man I really need to transfer photos off my old laptop to my new machine!

Thank you for the kind words have a great day!!!!

#8 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1337
  • 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted April 15, 2011 - 03:08 PM

Very cool! My first car was a Beatle...1970. I bought it for $300 when I was 14. Drove it around in my dad's field for a year or two and then I worked on it to get it ready when I got my license. It had the obligatory Hurst shifter with the reverse lock out, deep sump oil pan, header exhaust, just basic stuff. I tried to use dual VW bus carbs but they didn't work out. My Jr. High science teacher bought a parts car (he was a VW mechanic when he went through college) and it came with a Holley carb brand new in the box under the back seat. I ran that for a while. It was an awesome car! It would burn out forever in reverse! I used to leave two narrow strips on every paved back road around our school! Plus, I took the ratchet stop out of the e-brake for those bootlegger turns on dirt roads. I had a blast with the thing. Rainy wet pavement was the scariest surface I drove it on though; that thing just didn't stick when it was wet...