Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

David Bradley - Half Track snow machine .

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MGP59DB ONLINE  

MGP59DB
  • Member No: 66960
  • 1,040 Thanks
  • 525 posts

Posted October 05, 2015 - 06:40 PM

This is an idea me and my uncle were both thinking about independently and then got together and realized we were both thinking the same thing .

8b28a1206da26852404fe3b82c4a619c.jpg

It is not original , but something like this only a kit that can be added to our DB suburbans .

Not wanting to invest a lot of money . We are looking into what we could make the track from with minimal cost. The Idler axle wouldn't be too hard to do .  I am looking into old snowmobiles - the Skis would be an easy modification . And possibly use a modified track .

It would be great to just bolt on those ATV track set ups - But just can't see spending $5K for a pair of those to go on a $200 tractor .

Don't be surprised if you see one of these next winter. I just think it would be fun to try to do and cool also.

It would be bolt on and not really mess with anything on the tractors . The axle brakes would be condusive to the operation . 

Any thoughts on this ?

Seems like the wheel base on this tractor would work .

Done1.jpg

• Gtractor, Traill95, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#2 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted October 05, 2015 - 06:52 PM

I've seen some Cub Cadet half track projects. Here's a GT half track with skis that moves along pretty good.

• limebuzz, Alc, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#3 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted October 05, 2015 - 07:51 PM

someone here did that cub cadet right ? pretty sure I saw it one time.  you could find a used set of rubber tracks from a small backhoe and modify them, may just be easier to make something.  think about 3" flat belts on either side and small pieces of channel iron riveted across then to make the cleats.  kind of neat idea, I want to see it done.

Pete

• MGP59DB said thank you

#4 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,631 Thanks
  • 3,922 posts

Posted October 05, 2015 - 08:18 PM

Old hay balers have lots of belts that could be cut to desired length/width.  Maybe find one on its way to a scrap yard?

• boyscout862 and MGP59DB have said thanks

#5 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 1,002 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted October 05, 2015 - 08:20 PM

While in the navy a friend made tracks by cutting semi tires into 3 inch strips and bolting the to a set of wire ropes he then just built an idler and had a set up similar to a thyokol spryte. As I recall he put them on a stretched four wheeler and the tracks worked great but the machine caught fire and was only ridden like ten minutes.
  • boyscout862 and MGP59DB have said thanks

#6 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted October 05, 2015 - 09:08 PM

I would leave your original tractor as-is and look for another machine to do the tracks on. Your DB is beautiful as is.

My 2c

• Alc, Lauber1, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#7 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • Member No: 18979
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted October 06, 2015 - 07:34 AM

Hi,

There was a company named "Tractor Trax" that built kits for Power Kings and Cub Cadets during the '60's.

Look at the LGT mag that has articles on it. I believe it was published in mid 2014 ish and there is some you tube stuff also.

Chuck

• MGP59DB said thank you

#8 cpg OFFLINE  

cpg
  • Member No: 57994
  • 244 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted October 06, 2015 - 07:53 AM

I agree with just copying the Ferguson track design you have a picture of. Find some heavy rubber from old baler belts or conveyor belt and run some steel between it with carriage bolts. Shouldn't have to do that many cleats for a little GT. Skis just find some off an old beater snowmobile and weld on some plate and tubing to fit your spindle.

• MGP59DB said thank you

#9 MGP59DB ONLINE  

MGP59DB
  • Member No: 66960
  • 1,040 Thanks
  • 525 posts

Posted October 06, 2015 - 04:04 PM

I would leave your original tractor as-is and look for another machine to do the tracks on. Your DB is beautiful as is.

My 2c

Thanks - It is nice :D  Between me and my uncle we have 3 of them now - so it makes sense to do this to one of them - If I do it to mine it will not be changed in any way , this will have to be a bolt on kit using existing fasteners . No cutting anything up - But I think My uncle would lend his new machine to this , Since it needs tires anyway and the front rims are wrong . He has some stuff sitting around we can use . I will keep this posted as we get it going - I am really wanting to try this out .

I know we can work out the tracks . It is a matter of doing it cheap - I have a line on old snow machines for parts.

#10 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,575 Thanks
  • 3,957 posts

Posted October 06, 2015 - 04:32 PM

Mattracks has a unique mounting system. You could check it out for ideas.