• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Paulgo OFFLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted October 05, 2015 - 04:01 PM

What is the best way to lubricate those old block and pin u-joints? Do you just pour motor oil over them? Thanks in advance, Paul.

• CanadianHobbyFarmer said thank you

#2 backyardtinker OFFLINE  

backyardtinker
  • Member No: 73578
  • 249 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted October 05, 2015 - 05:57 PM

What is the best way to lubricate those old block and pin u-joints? Do you just pour motor oil over them? Thanks in advance, Paul.

So it's a u-joint with no grease fitting is what you're saying? If so, should be factory pre-lubed and sealed. and the best thing I could recommend is spraying with a good pennetrating oil, though most manufacturers of non- greasable sealed parts suggest not lubing them. It's your call.

• Paulgo said thank you

#3 Tbrooks OFFLINE  

Tbrooks
  • Member No: 61764
  • 405 Thanks
  • 292 posts

Posted October 05, 2015 - 07:55 PM

So it's a u-joint with no grease fitting is what you're saying? If so, should be factory pre-lubed and sealed. and the best thing I could recommend is spraying with a good pennetrating oil, though most manufacturers of non- greasable sealed parts suggest not lubing them. It's your call.

be careful with the penitrating oil. If it a sealed, permanently lubricated bearing you will not need to do anything. If you spray a sealed bearing with penatrating oil you will dilute the grease and cause premature failure of the bearing. Please take pics of your u joint in question and we possibly can better advise you.
  • Gtractor, Paulgo and CanadianHobbyFarmer have said thanks

#4 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,592 Thanks
  • 3,905 posts

Posted October 05, 2015 - 08:15 PM

Penetrating oil tends to turn to glue after about a week.  Definately not made for long-term lubrication, or lubrication in any form.  Its just a release agent.  In applications where a spray grease is needed use a "chain and cable lube" or garage door lubricant type that is made for long term use.

• sodisr and Paulgo have said thanks

#5 backyardtinker OFFLINE  

backyardtinker
  • Member No: 73578
  • 249 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted October 05, 2015 - 09:39 PM

I know this subject can be contentious and I don't mean to be. I should have specified however. I know some folks will take issue with this product, but in my experience if it is used on the right stuff and fairly often, it does act as a pretty decent lubricant. I prefer WD40 for some of these tasks. In the case of a u joint with needle bearings, if it is really old and has no grease fitting I would bet the grease is already solidified and not acting as a lubricant anyway. In that case, I don't believe a product like WD40 or this stuff  http://www.fluid-film.com/

would hurt, being used on needle bearings or other non nylon/ plastic type bushings, I'm pretty sure you would be safe. They say using a spray lube on nylon type sealed bushings can attract and hold fine particles which will accelerate wear of the soft plastic bushings to which there may be some truth, but I have encountered more problems leaving those things dry long term than I have seen by occasionally lubing them with WD. The only draw back to the Fluid Film product is that it has an awful smell. Just one man's opinion.

• Gtractor and Paulgo have said thanks

#6 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,142 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted October 06, 2015 - 07:29 AM

Doe it once and do it right and replace the U-joint.  Won't have to worry about it again.  Just make sure the new joint has a grease zerk.

#7 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted October 06, 2015 - 08:51 AM

Penetrating oil tends to turn to glue after about a week.  Definately not made for long-term lubrication, or lubrication in any form.  Its just a release agent.  In applications where a spray grease is needed use a "chain and cable lube" or garage door lubricant type that is made for long term use.

Iv'e seen that happen at work.. Not the W-D but other spray lubes and penetrants...

#8 Paulgo OFFLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted October 06, 2015 - 08:53 AM

Doe it once and do it right and replace the U-joint.  Won't have to worry about it again.  Just make sure the new joint has a grease zerk.

I don't run junk parts on my tractors. I also don't replace things that aren't visibly worn. These 40+ year old u-joints, with the square blocks and 5/8" peened caps, aren't rebuildable. If I can lengthen their lifespan, then I will.