Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Anything special to look for on the Massey 1655 / 1855?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 15, 2010 - 10:31 AM

I figured I would ask now before I make the phone call tonight but is there anything in particular I need to look out for on the 1655's and 1855's? I guess mainly with the driveline and mower deck because the motor is no big deal for me to check out.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted March 15, 2010 - 10:47 AM

Yep, mainly the splined shafts & couplers. But the couplers are available on ebay for just $20 plus shipping. Used to the only supplier wanted $60+ for each coupler!! Mower deck pulleys are VERY expensive, BUT one fella did a redo on his & it uses std V belts & pulleys, so you could always redo these if you got the package. He just extended the mid-front of deck to kick the center blade forward like most tri-blade decks are.

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 15, 2010 - 10:52 AM

I'd like to be able to help you George,I had an 1655 for 28 years with almost no problems what so ever.Of coarse the drive & PTO belts do wear out,and I had the drive pulleys wear to the point that I had to replace them.I liked that one so much,That I now have another one.Also , the mower deck pulleys wear out too.

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 15, 2010 - 11:13 AM

I can tell I will really like it, just hope everything works out. That is a lot of ducks to try to get lined up to be able to get out there and get em. I will like the size of them as well and won't feel cramped at all and the hydro is perfect for blowing snow, plowing and mowing. I would have to find a snow blower then too.

#5 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted March 15, 2010 - 07:01 PM

Just to let you know it was me who changed his deck on the 1655 so that it takes regular v-belts now.I had to modify the deck somewhat but now its a simple regular v belt change when the belts go.Haven't had one go now for 3 yrs.Of course the pullleys are also just regular 4" cast iron sheaves.Had to make a special key so it fit on the shaft and pulley.Didn't have to change the way the mower mounts onto the tractor either.I also made the mower deck side discharge rather then rear discharge.I did this modification to my deck 10 years ago and it's working just fine.Have also made a turbo boosted grass catcher for it that drives off the one mower deck pulley as well.I can tell you that it works excellent,kinda copied the design of what the simplicity tractors use.If you ever want to change yours I can give you some advice on what you'll need to do.Larry

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted March 15, 2010 - 07:54 PM

Larry, I couldn't remember who it was, so glad you chimed in. Good to see you posted a separate thread on the subject.