• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 TrukTruk OFFLINE  

TrukTruk
  • Member No: 72802
  • 13 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted October 04, 2015 - 10:45 PM

Picked up a loverly 48" sno-thro for my gt19 over the weekend. Got it hooked up and running like a byoot but seem to be missing some items here and there. So:

-Can anyone provide a picture of the limiting post/arm setup that bolt to the front frame? Id like to get an idea of the dimensions and possibly make the setup myself instead of purchasing one.

-Also would like a more detailed look of the counter balance kit installed if someone might provide it. I have the locking tabs, arms and springs and a rusty coffee can full of hardware. Mine is PN 731021 and can find nothing on the web about it. 

-Dealing with the hydro-lever creeping back to neutral as I put along, noticed the lever itself will not allow me to push it fully forward, will come within 3/4" of the end of the slot. This normal?

-My steering/yoke seem to be just sloppy as joe can be. Will rebuilding that area be a giant PITA like I assume it will be? looked like all the front PTO gizmos have to come off as well.

all for now and thanks in advance.

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,533 posts

Posted October 05, 2015 - 05:59 AM

Try downloading the Manuals from our Manuals Section. Good Luck, Rick

#3 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,616 Thanks
  • 7,662 posts

Posted October 05, 2015 - 06:26 AM

Answers in no particular order;

No, sorry can't help, no, mmmmmaybe!

#4 Billy M ONLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 349 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted October 05, 2015 - 08:00 AM

The short & sweet on a few of your questions...

*Adjust your friction plates to keep the lever in place.  See manual.

*Expose and clean/lube all moving parts in your hydro linkage to get full travel (hydro unit and lever assembly).  I do this about every other year.

*Front PTO will need disassembled to remove/rebuild your front end.  PITA grade will depend on your skills and tools used.

Good luck!

#5 1964Deere OFFLINE  

1964Deere

• Member No: 1547
  • 248 Thanks
  • 289 posts

Posted October 05, 2015 - 08:03 AM

On the 3/4" on the hydrostat lever. That is normal..at least for the few machines I have/have run.

And as far as the steering slop, Ariens has one of the easiest steering slop adjusters from that time period as it is actually easy to get to,! Loosen the jam nut, and then tighten your jam bolt to get the desired tension you want with a screwdriver!

As far as the other two parts of your question I can't help you. But if someone does send you dimensions of the chute handle bracket, let me know as I don't have one either.

#6 Curtis1480 OFFLINE  

Curtis1480
  • Member No: 69912
  • 19 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted October 05, 2015 - 11:52 AM

I can get some dims on the limiting strap tonight when i get home. The location of the stud in the frame is detailed in the manual for the sno thro, you will need to drill a hole in the chassis in a specific location.  I have the PDF on my computer at home I will get the link posted on here tonight. (check the manuals section on this forum it may be there) I ran my snow thro without the limiting strap for a few years untill it resulted in exploding my blowers drive shaft when the blower angled down enough in a ditch to disengage the slip joint on the shaft, also bent my pto shaft and blew up the cast iron pully (an expensive mistake).

Not sure where your steering slop is coming from but the slop in my steering was at the center pivot on the axle where the pto shaft goes through the hollow pivot pin, there are a couple bronze bushings there that i replaced when i repaired the other damage. You do not need to mess with the PTO unit itself just the lower pto shaft. After removing the two belts, two bearings and a few retaining clips support the weight of the tractor with a jack and the pin should and pto shaft should slide out allowing you to raise the jack up more and beat the bushings out. I will say however, that replacing the bushings did not eliminate all of the slop. 

#7 TrukTruk OFFLINE  

TrukTruk
  • 13 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted October 05, 2015 - 12:19 PM

Thanks for the replys fellas.

Really would like the rough dimensions of the limiting strap/post to avoid exactly what happened to Curtis. I know my tractor does not have the post installed on it already looking at the schematics. (Items 114/115 here https://www.partstre...ve/sno-thro-48/)

Looking like Ill just have to ramshackle the counterbalance kit on. The hardware that came with is in no way whats in the manual.

Looks like the front end rebuild will be sooner than expected. considerable play when I push the front axle from front-to-back.

But if someone does send you dimensions of the chute handle bracket, let me know as I don't have one either.

Since we denizens of the internet are a great helpful bunch here ya go

5OYc8v1.jpg

secured with two lag-bolts in broached holes in the steering column support. Eyeballs measured ~30 degree bend

Edited by TrukTruk, October 05, 2015 - 12:21 PM.

#8 TrukTruk OFFLINE  

TrukTruk
  • 13 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted October 05, 2015 - 12:35 PM

AND upon further inspection this counter-balance kit I have is not for my model. Looks like its made for something that has a slick frame rail, my GT19 has a bunch of weldments sticking out to support the motor. Picture provided for clarity and bonus points if someone can tell me what series this will fit.

lZft0xv.jpg

#9 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,531 Thanks
  • 3,919 posts

Posted October 05, 2015 - 12:51 PM

The 731 model number should be for 931series tractor. Could be for S series.

#10 Billy M ONLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 349 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted October 05, 2015 - 01:49 PM

AND upon further inspection this counter-balance kit I have is not for my model. Looks like its made for something that has a slick frame rail, my GT19 has a bunch of weldments sticking out to support the motor. Picture provided for clarity and bonus points if someone can tell me what series this will fit.

The tractors with the M/KT series engines do have gussets that stick out of the side of the frame.  There is no place to install the rear latch/pawl for the arms to lock in to.  I haven't seen one of that type frame with the balance kit installed.  You would have to do some "engineering" to make it work.  I don't know if Ariens made a balance kit for that style of frame or not.

#11 Curtis1480 OFFLINE  

Curtis1480
  • 19 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted October 05, 2015 - 07:29 PM

The limiter strap is made from 3/16" thick stock.

So I thought I remembered the pdf detailing drilling a hole in the frame for a stud but apparently there is a bracket that attaches to the front rock shaft pillow block. I guess ill have to make one before snow flies. Hopefully someone else on here can give us some dimensions on that.

Attached Thumbnails

• 077.JPG
  • 078.JPG

Attached Files

Edited by Curtis1480, October 05, 2015 - 08:00 PM.

• TrukTruk said thank you

#12 Curtis1480 OFFLINE  

Curtis1480
  • 19 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 09:41 AM

TrukTruk, have you made any progress with getting your sno thrower set up? im still looking for info on the limiter post. I will probably just order one in a few weeks if I cant come up with some dimensions. ill get u the info to make your own when I do.

#13 TrukTruk OFFLINE  

TrukTruk
  • 13 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 12:00 PM

TrukTruk, have you made any progress with getting your sno thrower set up? im still looking for info on the limiter post. I will probably just order one in a few weeks if I cant come up with some dimensions. ill get u the info to make your own when I do.

Been searching high and low and coming up with nothing. Would love a fellow member to just throw up a picture of theirs installed or Im in the same boat as far as having to order one.

Ill bet there is quite a few blower-less tractors out their with that post bolted to it, seems like one of those items youd leave on and forget about when the tractor/blower are sold off.

Edited by TrukTruk, October 25, 2015 - 12:02 PM.

#14 TrukTruk OFFLINE  

TrukTruk
  • 13 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 03:37 AM

Found a picture of the white buffalo on Ebay. Asked the seller if he could provide dimensions

IeLHXH8.jpg

#15 Curtis1480 OFFLINE  

Curtis1480
  • 19 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 11:03 AM

Figures! I just ordered one last night.