• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 coinman66 OFFLINE  

coinman66
  • Member No: 72594
  • 163 Thanks
  • 273 posts

Posted October 04, 2015 - 09:46 AM

What can I expect to pay someone to sandblast a Cub Cadet 71? Also I've heard u shouldn't blast the tin areas due to warping. What media is recommended?
Thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted October 04, 2015 - 09:52 AM

Prices can vary all over the region, normally to blast a complete tractor all parts stripped down would be about $400-$600

If the guy knows what he's doing you shouldnt have to worry about any damage to your parts unless the stuff is very rusty and will then show pinholes when hes done....

• Alc, boyscout862 and Marty'70 have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,532 posts

Posted October 04, 2015 - 10:06 AM

There is different blasting sands for different steels too. My neighbor 25 years ago, was restoring a 1955 Harley and wanted me to blast his tank. I was nervous about it because it was the bike he got when he was 15. We were almost 40 at the time. I went to my supplier and he sold me a special fine blasting sand and threw in some torn bags because it was a good cause. Now soda blasting is popular and safer. 

You might want to look at buying the equipment and doing it yourself if you have a safe area to do it. I go way out in the backyard and use canvass on the ground and over sawhorses to catch the sand. I use a good respirator and only shoot when it is windy. Good Luck, Rick

#4 Little Irish Men OFFLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 661 Thanks
  • 385 posts

Posted October 04, 2015 - 10:28 AM

I pay $ 300.00 for my bolens  1050  to be sand blasted , frame and all the tin and mower deck  and have it primer . But i was told that they might have used the wrong primer.

Patrick.

• Alc said thank you

#5 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,875 Thanks
  • 2,791 posts

Posted October 04, 2015 - 10:35 AM

The doctor and boyscout are right on in their advise I like soda for medium

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,648 Thanks
  • 6,464 posts

Posted October 04, 2015 - 10:48 AM

I tear completely down. Frames and big parts that don't fit MY cabinet I take to a stripper. They put in an oven to soften stuff up and then blast residue off. Not sure what they use, but it is REAL clean when done. If cost is a factor, just take the frame and axle say to a stripper and do a little at a time. You must Paint right away, or it rusts fast. Prime at least will hold for a few days till finish coat, but even prime can rust thru if you wait too long. This place usually does a frame for about $75. Not cheap, but good job. I've had them do tin too, no warping, they do car bodies and parts and know what they are doing. I blast in my cabinet all the time, about every piece of the tractor. Have no issues of damage. Depending on rust, there can be pitting that comes clean, but is still there in metal. some guys skim fill those before painting, I Don't, just leave as is and paint. Kind of like a "new" Patina on the tractor, heh!

A cabinet is a great tool to have in shop, but you need good presser, have to replace many items on cabinet like window covers and tips and gloves as they wear if used a lot and that becomes PIA at times. SO, extra cost there too.

#7 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,133 posts

Posted October 04, 2015 - 11:06 AM

most of the local guys no longer do sandblasting around me and those that do are very expensive. last quote I got was about 400. basically it's the hazard fees of getting rid of the waste.
  • Alc said thank you

#8 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted October 04, 2015 - 12:03 PM

You should do it yourself. My cost to do a tractor at home would be $30 CDN..Thats 100lb bag of fine sand and i sweep up the sand and run it through the blast pot 5 times. There is not much to a GT. All in pieces it would only take a few hours if that. Having place to sandblast where you can recover sand is imperative. The in-laws garage is quite suitable, or your vacationing neighbours garage. I use a portable shelter with poly on floor.

I have never warped any tin. That's very high pressure, large nozzle. A pro should not if he is diligent and recognizing that he is not blast 1/2" steel plate..

Edited by Jazz, October 04, 2015 - 01:49 PM.

• dodge trucker said thank you

#9 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted October 04, 2015 - 02:41 PM

My son had his Original (Cub) done a few years ago, cost $250. I usually do my own, but thought we'd try it out, having it done. Dropped it off one day, guy called the next day and was anxious for me to come and get it, he didn't want it hanging around there to rust I guess.  Nice guy, father/son operation, on US rt 6 a few miles west of Morris IL.

I just had a Swisher trailmower done (different place closer to home)  Deck and all the guards, covers etc; I paid $75.

#10 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted October 04, 2015 - 02:56 PM

$400 sounds about good, I do my own work and use glass bead as the media.  it does a really nice job and if you use it one time on the real nasty stuff you can re-use it two or three more times on the nicer parts you want to have a better finish.  only goes thru two or three times before it is broke down to the point of not being useful.  Look for a locale welding and painting place sometimes they will do it for cheaper just to keep the guys busy.

Pete

#11 MGP59DB ONLINE  

MGP59DB
  • Member No: 66960
  • 990 Thanks
  • 506 posts

Posted October 04, 2015 - 05:24 PM

Around here - they were asking around $50 to do 4 rims alone . So I went to my uncle and he let me use his sandblaster for Free -  $50 in sand and we did 2 full machines :D plus 7 attachments

#12 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted October 06, 2015 - 06:04 PM

This is great info. Just what I need for thursday when the insurance man comes over to look at all my damaged and rust garden tractor stuff.  I did get a qoute once to get the Main parts of a gt powder coated rather than painted. The guy qouted me $400 with 4 wheels. But thats bringing all parts to him ready to be coated.

#13 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted October 06, 2015 - 09:35 PM

When I painted my 107 this spring it cost me $100 to do the frame and fender pan.  The rest of it was small enough to get in my blast cabinet and I did it myself.