14 replies to this topic

#1 Marty'70 OFFLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 731 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted October 03, 2015 - 04:56 PM

Found this today while doing a little hotrod research. Thought you guys could use the knowledge. Says to use for screws but I'd imagine could use on smaller nuts and bolts as well.
http://www.how-to-bu...moval-tool.html
  • MH81, Bruce Dorsi, JD DANNELS and 13 others have said thanks

#2 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted October 03, 2015 - 05:49 PM

Having worked on motorcycles since the mid 60's I have one of these. It works the same, but the pneumatic hammer action would be easier on my hand!

image_17210.jpg

6 Bit Impact Screwdriver Set With Case

• JD DANNELS, Marty'70 and backyardtinker have said thanks

#3 Marty'70 OFFLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 731 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted October 03, 2015 - 06:07 PM

^^^^ have one of these too bit I always like new tools to have and try.
  • backyardtinker said thank you

#4 backyardtinker OFFLINE  

backyardtinker
  • Member No: 73578
  • 249 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted October 03, 2015 - 06:16 PM

that sounds pretty neat. Will definately keep it in mind. I have one of the hand impact driver sets and it has worked well for me many times. Also, often enough, just using a screw driver in the same manner as the impact driver works too. Another thing I have done along these lines is to use the air impact hammer with the flat round bit to simply vibrate the afected bolt/nut and/or the threaded hole boss that it might be threaded into and that often shakes things up enough to get things moving.

Edited by backyardtinker, October 03, 2015 - 06:18 PM.

• chieffan said thank you

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,163 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted October 03, 2015 - 06:42 PM

Definitely an improvement over the old impact driver like KC9KAS mentioned above.  the problem I have with those is I never remember which way I need to twist the tool to make the screw turn the right way.

• backyardtinker said thank you

#6 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 988 Thanks
  • 672 posts

Posted October 03, 2015 - 07:18 PM

Seems quite like a hammer drill but a lot more work. In the Navy we used to use the impact tool and hammer variety until a snap on vendor gave us a pneumatic hammer drill, it made taking of P3 engine S panels a lot easier. At 138 screws per panel and 2 panels an engine with 4 engines( my math is horrible ), that makes 1088 I think, and not one screw comes out easy! Praise the snap on man!
  • HDWildBill and Marty'70 have said thanks

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 03, 2015 - 08:18 PM

That would probably work. But even the weedeater aggravates my marginal carpal tunnel.
What I think might be a better idea is one of the cordless impact drivers!

Edited by JD DANNELS, October 03, 2015 - 10:09 PM.

• Marty'70 said thank you

#8 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted October 03, 2015 - 08:36 PM

Don't use a good hardened socket lol.You'll split it out of you do.The cheap softer sockets can take a bit more punishment but they will mushroom out after a while so keep this in mind.

• JD DANNELS and HDWildBill have said thanks

#9 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,163 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted October 03, 2015 - 09:16 PM

One of the most used tools in my shop is my 1/4" impact driver.  I have a 1/4" drive shank in it for my 1/4" drive sockets.  Also have a 1/2" impact with a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter.  Both are battery operated and sure save a bunch on the arthritis hands and so much faster than a ratchet or or gear wrench.

• JD DANNELS said thank you

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 03, 2015 - 10:22 PM

One of the most used tools in my shop is my 1/4" impact driver.  I have a 1/4" drive shank in it for my 1/4" drive sockets.  Also have a 1/2" impact with a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter.  Both are battery operated and sure save a bunch on the arthritis hands and so much faster than a ratchet or or gear wrench.

Thanks that is good to hear. When we had the new air conditioner put in the church parsonage, while the installer was putting in the new A coil. I was putting a patch in the plenum, where we removed the humidifier(duct eater).
I had a couple self tapping screws giving me fits with my cordless drill.
The installer handed me his dewalt impact driver and the same screws went in slick as a whistle.
Ever since it has been at the top of my list of next tool to get.

#11 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,945 posts

Posted October 04, 2015 - 06:48 AM

Thanks that is good to hear. When we had the new air conditioner put in the church parsonage, while the installer was putting in the new A coil. I was putting a patch in the plenum, where we removed the humidifier(duct eater).
I had a couple self tapping screws giving me fits with my cordless drill.
The installer handed me his dewalt impact driver and the same screws went in slick as a whistle.
Ever since it has been at the top of my list of next tool to get.

After a year with an impact, you will wonder how you did without.
  • MH81 and JD DANNELS have said thanks

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted October 04, 2015 - 07:05 AM

After a year with an impact, you will wonder how you did without.

AMEN! With the help of a therapist, I have blocked out previous years of frustration and broken screws. We are working on the few times I was trying to hold it all inline and the bit slipped off the screw and into my hand.
  • JD DANNELS said thank you

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted October 04, 2015 - 07:06 AM

Found this today while doing a little hotrod research. Thought you guys could use the knowledge. Says to use for screws but I'd imagine could use on smaller nuts and bolts as well.
http://www.how-to-bu...moval-tool.html

Looks like a great idea. I think i even have an extra tip for the impact

#14 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted October 04, 2015 - 09:33 AM

I have a 3/8, 1/2 in drive impact drivers, a 1/2 drive Pneumatic impact driver and the old fashion manual impact driver and a Pneumatic hammer drill.  I use each one quite often and have found that each has it's place.  I was pulling a gas tank of a bike a while back and the rear bolt would not budge.  I used the big 1/2" drive impacts on it and ended up breaking the torx tip.  Then tried the old fashion manual one with a new tip and bingo it came out no problem.  Some times the old ways are the best, but don't get me wrong I do love my impact drivers and they get a regular work out.

• JD DANNELS and KennyP have said thanks

#15 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted October 04, 2015 - 09:40 AM

Seems quite like a hammer drill but a lot more work. In the Navy we used to use the impact tool and hammer variety until a snap on vendor gave us a pneumatic hammer drill, it made taking of P3 engine S panels a lot easier. At 138 screws per panel and 2 panels an engine with 4 engines( my math is horrible ), that makes 1088 I think, and not one screw comes out easy! Praise the snap on man!

Hmmm, sounds like the turtle back on an F-4 Phantom.  We used to use this tool that would slide under the screw 2 screws in front of the one that we were trying to take out and it had a speed handle in an oblong slot mid way and then a handle on the other end.  It took two people to work it.  One to put pressure on the handle which held the speed handle and tip in place and the other to turn the speed handle.  I haven't thought about that in decades.