Jump to content

Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

case 646 Parking Brake

  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Case-Closed OFFLINE  

  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 13397
  • 225 Thanks
  • 123 posts
  • Location: Helena, Montana

Posted October 02, 2015 - 08:06 PM

My parking brake has been going from useless to totally useless over the past months and I just bought the new lining material from Salem power. Does anyone have a set of instructions on how to do this with as little foul language as possible. I would also like to know what the best glue for the job is as I only want to do this once. Thanks for all your excellent advice in advance.



#2 cmn135 OFFLINE  

  • Member
  • Member No: 56682
  • 34 Thanks
  • 54 posts
  • Location: S.E. Connecticut

Posted October 02, 2015 - 08:37 PM

I have a 444 so I'm not sure if it's entirely the same process but I just did mine recently. There were a few retaining bolts and cotter pins holding the brake band in place. Once I removed those the band came right off. My liner was in such bad shape it came off fairly easily with a scraper. Then I used a wire wheel with a drill to take off any remnants and glue. I used contact cement to mount mine back on. From what I read that works the best. To ensure it kept form I glued the lining in and then mounted the brake band back on and engaged the brake so it dried in the proper shape.

Edited by cmn135, October 02, 2015 - 08:38 PM.

  • Cat385B said thank you



    God Bless Those Who Served

  • Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,713 Thanks
  • 28,354 posts
  • Location: N. W. PA

Posted October 03, 2015 - 03:19 AM

While not a Case, I did one for the Sears. After prepping and applying JB Weld, I clamped the band around a piece of pipe that was the same OD as the brake drum. After drying, I installed and it works great. I have heard about a couple of guys who had issues with this or that glue, but I don't think they clamped it around a brake drum or something of similar size.

#4 Case-Closed OFFLINE  

  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 13397
  • 225 Thanks
  • 123 posts
  • Location: Helena, Montana

Posted October 03, 2015 - 11:31 PM

I managed to replace the brake lining but had to remove the fenders and  the fuel tank to get good access to the brake drum. I ended up using a contact cement made by Permatex to attach the new lining to the band. Once the fuel tank is out of the way the rest is a snap. The band with its new lining will remain clamped overnight to ensure a good bond between the two. Thanks for the advice on this little project.

IMG_1042.JPG IMG_1044.JPG

Edited by Case-Closed, October 03, 2015 - 11:43 PM.

  • MH81 and cmn135 have said thanks