Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Cleaned up and serviced the Baird Beaver tractor.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,465 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted October 01, 2015 - 02:07 PM

With the tractor running good now, I took the time to replace a few things and clean and service the tractor. I replaced the drive belts, muffler, choke cable, springs in the drag link,front wheel bushings, and changed out the engine and rear end oil. This tractor sat for a very long time, so the old grease was hardened up on and in everything. The springs in the adjustable drag link were broken, so the steering couldn't be adjusted properly. I found a spring in a jar in the shed and made two replacement springs out of it. I cleaned the old grease out of the rear hubs, all of the steering components, and from the clutch assembly. I changed out the engine oil with SAE 30w and put 85w-140w in the rear. Below is a picture of the correct drive belts. When installing the long belt from the clutch to the rear end, the engine has to be moved on the frame rails to get the correct tension on the belt. I had to move my engine ahead about 1/4" to get the correct tension. The short belt from the clutch to the engine is very simple to adjust,just loosen the bolt on the cast belt guard and move the linkage up or down until the clutch pedal snaps into the forward position. Too tight, and it will be too hard to snap the pedal back to neutral, too loose, and the belt will slip. It took me two tries to get it just right. The original kill switch didn't work, so I disassembled it, cleaned the contacts, and it works fine now. These little tractors are built very well and very easy to work on.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20151001_135056-1.jpg
  • 20151001_135200-1.jpg
  • 20150930_180648-1.jpg
  • 20151001_143816-1.jpg

• NUTNDUN, DougT, Gtractor and 7 others have said thanks

#2 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 937 Thanks
  • 685 posts

Posted October 01, 2015 - 02:55 PM

Fine looking machine. Sounds like some time well spent.

• classic said thank you

#3 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,894 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted October 01, 2015 - 04:11 PM

Very cool Jim

• classic said thank you

#4 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted October 01, 2015 - 07:37 PM

after seeing one of these in person I was surprised how small and narrow they are. they look bigger in photos. I had a chance to buy one of these awhile back. yes I am still kicking myself....

Edited by jabelman, October 01, 2015 - 07:38 PM.

• classic said thank you

#5 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,465 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted October 01, 2015 - 07:51 PM

From what I read, the man who designed the Beaver tractor had narrow paths on his property. It is a small machine, but heavy for it's size. There was a dual wheel option and front wheel weights could also be bought with the tractor. I'm on the hunt for a pair of those wheel weights. I took the tractor for a ride through the woods this afternoon, and front weights would really help out with steering traction. Here is one with the dual wheel option.

Attached Thumbnails

• smallajzanbeaver01.png

Edited by classic, October 01, 2015 - 07:52 PM.

• David Brown said thank you