#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,659 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted October 01, 2015 - 01:48 PM

Seems kinda like SLOWED down around here lately. Guess most are finished with summer projects? Fall shortening the workshop days?  Guess now we get the "Winterizing" posts going for either storage or blade/blower set-ups going on. I'll be done in garage about end of October. Pack it all in tight and leave till spring. I DID get out there some last winter, have heat, but usually no space. Been a little more space this last year. You can't do much painting in winter, maybe some small parts if I run heat. Now with many of my tractors being mostly complete, not as much to work on anyway. Now they are done, and just take up space setting around. Selling always comes to mind......then.....NAHHH! Can't do that! I end up buying parts and stuff I don't need on epay all winter, heh!

• Gtractor, wvbuzzmaster, KennyP and 6 others have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted October 01, 2015 - 02:06 PM

I'm in panic mode trying to get a few more things done before snow... And then there's the wood I should've hauled in already that isn't.
  • NUTNDUN, Gtractor, wvbuzzmaster and 7 others have said thanks

#3 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted October 01, 2015 - 02:19 PM

Not quite panic mode, but lots to do before the white stuff. The list keeps growing; with very little being crossed off.

• NUTNDUN, Gtractor, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,201 posts

Posted October 01, 2015 - 03:07 PM

I've just started packing all the 'Summer' tractors away and started making room for the ones that get the blades and blowers on them, just packed away my reels today and from now till the last cut of the season I'm back to mowing with the regular 3 bladed decks as there's too many leaves and sticks falling to use the reels this time of year, just got all the restored machines drained and packed for winter, they wont fire again until about mid to late may :(

Plan to get the blades and blowers on in the next week or so as I hate hitching up stuff when its anything below 50 degrees!

This summer just flew right by me!

• NUTNDUN, Gtractor, MH81 and 8 others have said thanks

#5 MolonLabe OFFLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• Member No: 59683
  • 411 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted October 01, 2015 - 04:23 PM

Still trying to close out the garden here, the tomatoes and peppers are holding things up. Then on to cutting and tilling, leaf sweeping.... etc. Mount the snow blade and make sure a couple of the workers are ready for the white stuff while the rest go to bed for the winter, the list goes on and on. I dread it and look forward to it at the same time, at least I can plow myself out if need be along with a few of the neighbors.

• NUTNDUN, Gtractor, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#6 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,611 Thanks
  • 3,911 posts

Posted October 01, 2015 - 04:43 PM

I been testing antifreeze in vehicles and tractors today.  All went well except the one tractor I already knew was straight water. 

The 1919 Midwest Utilitor has water only in it so that'll be an easy fix.

Poured some antifreeze in the on-demand sprayer tank.  Now I just need to take the 12V jumper box out there to power the pump and circulate some of the green goo into the pump. 

Sometime soon I have to go the the local museum and check 3 trucks to make sure they are OK.  Then the 6 Moline tractors that I maintain for a widow will be checked but I'm certain they are OK.  Last weekend was their once a year outting and the three that needed topped off I used straight antifreeze so no problems anticipated there.

Way too early to de-mower the tractor and put on blade, chains, weights, and heat houser.  I may have to mow again - although I doubt the yard will need it the pasture has some places that need run over by the brushcutter.   Plus I hope to take in a plow day this fall if things go well enough. 

Bought about a dozen more garden tractors this year and have to find a way to get them inside somewhere for the season.  The guy that runs his cattle on this place puts his tractor in the big shed for the winter so I'll be losing 1/3 of that shed here real quick.  That really puts me in a bind this year. 

House only has 32 inch doors   :(

Edited by Gtractor, October 01, 2015 - 07:03 PM.

• NUTNDUN, Bolens 1000, grnspot110 and 8 others have said thanks

#7 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted October 01, 2015 - 05:17 PM

Have the garden cleared off for the most part.  One pile of cuc vines and left overs to haul off yet.  Put a load of goat manure over the garden then plow it in yet.  Need to mow at least one more time yet and possibly two.  Have the blade on the G16 so may just leave it on for the winter.  Will drop the deck off the G14 and put the snow caster on it.  Change over to the ag tires full of fluid and put the chains on it also.  have the wood to get cut, split and in the shed yet.  Put it on a tandem trailer and pull it up to the house when the wood supply need restocked.  Got the fireplace flu cleaned today.  Will clean the inside out and motor the fire brick cracks in the morning.  Worked on putting a different motor on the last RAM I got last summer.  Picked up the motor yesterday.  3 hp Briggs.  Have the nose piece and top cover to put on yet.  Wont use the original tank as the Briggs has it's own gas tank and the carb is part of the tank system so can't change it over.  Ton of things to get done yet but usually have a decent October to do them in.  Started to pick the high apples today.  Will get them all picked in the next few days.  Then get the cider press out and run a bunch of cider.  Had to much rain so often I could not keep them sprayed for the bugs like should have been done.  Have a lot of cedar trees around os get that red cedar rust all over the apples.  Don't hurt anything, just makes them look dirty.  Never know it in the cider this winter.

• NUTNDUN, KennyP, Bmerf and 2 others have said thanks

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,669 posts

Posted October 01, 2015 - 05:30 PM

No 'getting ready for winter' here as yet. But, having much cooler weather.

b

• NUTNDUN, MH81, Bmerf and 1 other said thanks

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 01, 2015 - 06:06 PM

This is our extremely busy season at work right now and with the wife not working I have been soaking up as many hours as I can. Lots of projects to do and post about, just no time to work on them at the moment.

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, Bmerf and 2 others have said thanks

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted October 01, 2015 - 07:20 PM

I been testing antifreeze in vehicles and tractors today.   

That's a job I need to do soon.  First I need a new tester......putting that on my "to do list". 

• Gtractor, grnspot110, Bmerf and 1 other said thanks

#11 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,850 Thanks
  • 3,193 posts

Posted October 01, 2015 - 09:19 PM

Here's a start on my "to do" list:
Water in all the fruit trees
Cut the grass one more time and get Little John cleaned up and put away.
Finish digging spuds, carrots and beets, work garden and clean up Little Red, the Honda tiller and put it away.
Check the heated watering bowls and rebuild the shields so the bull can't push them off the platform.
Fix the corral gate.
Wean calves and haul the shippers to market.
Butcher the last four sheep, cut and wrap.
Rebuild heifer pen.
Haul and stack more wood.
Move some grain from the old bin to the feed bin.
Check sewer outlet.
Get the J.D.4040 winterised and fix the auger on the snow blower.
Order winter fuel.

Of course some of this is more important than the rest---- will it all get done?1 not a chance, but I can always dream. Maybe it'll be an open fall
  • olcowhand, MH81, Bmerf and 2 others have said thanks

#12 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted October 01, 2015 - 09:47 PM

I have a similar problem Kris. I bought a few tractors that ended up being nice additions this year, as well as several Springfields and I want them indoors, and I started with no indoors left. The great debate right now is take up a buddy's offer to store a few (6-10) in his building out back... Very tempting lol, just have to haul these things a distance of one hour each way... Ugh. Only problem is I can't decide which six... I keep thinking non runners, but then how would I fix them, but I have very few runners LOL. Sale comes to mind but who wants to collect half my Springfield collection! Lol

Meanwhile I have a few projects im trying to finish off.

Seriously, who wants to buy a pile of parts Springfields.... Only way to make complete ones....
  • Gtractor and Bmerf have said thanks

#13 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted October 02, 2015 - 06:52 AM

Not real busy with mowers at work, a few early fall service jobs, and the occasional broken belt ect.  But we are in full "snow" mode getting our plow trucks ready for the coming season.  I am rebuilding the 8'6" BOSS straight blade that goes on the shops 1 ton and I need to change the fluid in my old Western on my own truck. MIke

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,669 posts

Posted October 02, 2015 - 07:03 AM

GL, if your real bored, you can read my thread here! I'm up to page 18!

#15 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted October 03, 2015 - 05:31 PM

Well the tiller is off the end of summer maintenance is completed now to get the snow plows on the 300 an cub 70. The 110 will get parked till spring out of the way (back of the garage) also have to get the cub running again.