wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 09:24 PM

Plan for the Cub Cadet 102 just changed, going to be used for plowing furrows. So I will be mounting the 26x10.50-12 tires that are on the Caterpillar onto the 102. The 102 has a 12 hp Kohler and 25" diameter tires already, and I have always wanted it to go slower and stop. The internal brake will need to be freed the hard way... And I figure if I have to remove the transaxle and open the front, I could spend $130-150 (with shipping) and install the 20% Underdrive reduction gears to bring the 102's speed to just below stock, seeing as how the current 25" tires are about 14% overdrive and 26" tires will take it to 17% overdrive. So I need some advise from the pulling crowd, and tips when yanking these things open to swap the gears?
  • Dieselcubmike and grattone have said thanks

#2 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 09:44 PM

Your stock gearing should be 13,19,26 gearing in the transmission. Im not very knowledgeable with those size tires. Its very easy to change the over driver. Once you open the front case, its just one bolt that holds it on. Now if you were going to a bigger a bigger over driver you would have to grind out a little bit on the inside of the case. Now I've never used a under driver but 20% under drive should slow you down by 2 gears. If you really wanted and had the funds you can change your gears out and run something like, 13,15,17 or something like that if you wanted but you'd have a very expensive plow days transmission lol.  

• Alc and wvbuzzmaster have said thanks

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 10:02 PM

Not being a wise guy... Wouldn't it be better to just shift down?
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#4 wvbuzzmaster ONLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 10:05 PM

Not being a wise guy... Wouldn't it be better to just shift down?

Alan, everything is happening way too fast to suit me in first gear lol. And reverse isn't very consoling either LOL.

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, September 30, 2015 - 10:05 PM.

#5 wvbuzzmaster ONLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 10:11 PM

Your stock gearing should be 13,19,26 gearing in the transmission. Im not very knowledgeable with those size tires. Its very easy to change the over driver. Once you open the front case, its just one bolt that holds it on. Now if you were going to a bigger a bigger over driver you would have to grind out a little bit on the inside of the case. Now I've never used a under driver but 20% under drive should slow you down by 2 gears. If you really wanted and had the funds you can change your gears out and run something like, 13,15,17 or something like that if you wanted but you'd have a very expensive plow days transmission lol.

Thanks for the insight. I wondered about grinding, figured it was a risk with good reward. Of course would not want to get that grinding wrong. The 26" tall tire is what I'm focused on getting to, with lesser speed. I think I have only used third gear once since I bought the tractor, and that was to see that it worked. Seldom ever touch second gear. I usually stick to first and reverse with a quick clutching foot to calculate "coast to stop distance". Sounds like loosing two high gears and gaining two lower gears will work great for me.

#6 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 10:22 PM

The only time you would grind would be to add an over driver in which case i think if you use a 33% you would have to grind the case. So if your really wanting to run low gears then you have to end up spending some money to purchase all your lower gear clusters then. I think 13,15,17 would work fine though coming from me thats really slow lol. 

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,608 posts

Posted October 01, 2015 - 05:15 AM

Did CC make some kind of " add-on " creeper gear ?  Isn't that what you were looking for a year ago different tractor ?

#8 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 62066
  • 983 Thanks
  • 443 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 08:09 PM

Casey if my memory serves me right the CC 70,71,72 & 73 all had the under drive you are seeking if your not gonna do a creeper gear. IH went with the reduction due to the little K161 power plant.