#1 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,737 Thanks
  • 1,731 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 10:05 PM

Well, my Georgia boots junk out on me, I was not impressed with them anyway, they barely lasted a year and I always expect at least 2 years out of my boots. So I started on the boot search, I found another pair of Georgia's that looked nice so I went ahead and ordered them (cost $150). I ordered them from working person store and they took well over a week to come because they were drop shipped. They finally arrived and they had a real cheap look to them. First thing I noticed was the insole was not removable which I don't like at all, second thing was they had some weird leather stitching on the back of them which rubbed my heel as soon as it slipped on. So I sent those back and thought I would throw a little more money in and bought a pair of Thorogood boots that cost $215 for the pair. They got great reviews and looked really nice so I thought I'd give them a try. They came a few days ago and when I took them out of the box WOW. They looked real nice, BUT I noticed the tong is stitched clear to the top of the ankle???. I stuck my foot in there and there was no way my foot would even make it half way down those boots???, finally got the boot back off, then I stuck my hand down in it. The boot was so small and narrow inside (ordered a size 12 EE) that my hand couldn't fit in far enough to touch the toe of the boot  :mad2:. So I packed them back up and sent them back. This time I started looking Amazon, we have the 2 day free shipping and I am needing a pair of boots (my job consist of me standing in a lot of water and that's no fun with leaky boots). This time I found some Danner boots and they were $270 (OUCH) but luckily they were on sale and cost $215 which was the same as the Thorogood. 

I got the Danner's today and they are a very nice boot, they fit perfect, no rubbing or anything out of the ordinary.

http://www.amazon.co...er Boots Quarry

What kind of boots do you wear and do you have good luck with them???

I half to have water proof with a safety toe, these Danner's have a alloy toe which is new to me, I normally get steel toe.

Attached Thumbnails

• Boots 004.jpg

Edited by BTS, September 29, 2015 - 10:08 PM.

• Alc, MFDAC, tiretrx and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Jack OFFLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 10:34 PM

These are what I have been wearing for the last 10 years or so. I have been very happy with them.

http://www.rockyboots.com/

Edited by Jack, September 29, 2015 - 10:35 PM.

• Alc and BTS have said thanks

#3 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 11:42 PM

I have worn Rocky Boots for about 15 years.  I currently have three pair.  They are waterproof, goretex, but last week, at camp, I helped the neighbor take his boat out for the season and I stepped into the  water.  Later that day, I felt a bit of leakage.  Not much, but the boots must be well over 6 years old or so.  

None of my Rocky's are steel or composite toed.  I like that feature.  Never heard of an alloy toe, but it must be better than nothing.  Steel shank and steel toe are the way to go.

• Alc, hamman, Jack and 1 other said thanks

#4 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 11:46 PM

Mine are Red Wings.

http://www.redwingsh...inch-boot-brown

Let me say that I have always put my shoes through h"ll. Worked construction for years (concrete demolition and replacement); always bought what ever was on sale, knowing they would just maybe last 1 season.

Now, different job and walk on hard concrete floors between 8 and 12 miles minimum a day. No exaggeration! Wore a pedometer once for a week; one day was over 14 miles. (Now, I don't want to know.) They say a good pair of shoes should last 300-400 miles; For me this < 3 months. To help save the feet; I use Dr. Scholl's Custom Fit Orthotic Inserts and Massaging Gel Insoles. First pair of Red Wings lasted over 2 years. And were still water proof: as in standing in 2-3 inches of water for over 2 1/2 hours, any deeper than 4 inches and water will leak in around the tongue.

Then tried the Georgia Boots; liked the first pair, easy to break in and very comfortable. Found out they were discontinuing the style; so order 2 additional pairs. Quite a bit cheaper at half the cost and first pair held up fairly well. Second and third pair not so much. Lost water proofing ability < 5 months. Not quite a year before soles were shot, feet hurt, and couldn't wear them. (Three pairs in a little over 2 years) To be fair, for the average person they are a good boot.

Back to the Red Wings. Pair I have now is a little over a year old. No discomfort, and other than some scrapes on the toes, look like brand new. They are worn everywhere.

Edited by Bmerf, September 29, 2015 - 11:48 PM.

• Alc, tiretrx, WrenchinOnIt and 1 other said thanks

#5 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 12:02 AM

Mason Wellingtons. Getting too old for laces so all my shoes slip on. I've had good luck with their shoes and boots over the years. 

Redwings before those with good results.

• BTS said thank you

#6 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,448 Thanks
  • 3,996 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 12:40 AM

Most time of the day I wear safety boots as you can see on a construction yard. They are comfortable and solid. And I wear this type of shoes for 40 years, nearly every day.

• MFDAC, tiretrx, Dieselcubmike and 4 others have said thanks

#7 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 01:15 AM

When I first started working outside at my previous job I quickly found out that having a good boot is essential. I used caterpillar boots and they lasted about a year walking on slopes in the rain,snow,sleet, etc etc. The bottom of the sole slide right off the bottom of the boot. While walking through tall wet grass and working in rain regardless if it says waterproof or not its going to leak in through the laces. I ended up spending 175$ at my local rural king on a pair of muck boots which I've heard a ot of good about. I got the steel toe Xcool boots. Goes up to your knees and with no laces you can go from mud to water, snow to monsoon without ever being wet. Only downside is you sweet in them very quickly so have a good pair of socks. They're a little on the heavy side too but I've been outside and all over the place with them in every single weather environment and they have yet to even look worked yet. Definitely would highly recommended these boots.

• BTS said thank you

#8 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 04:24 AM

2 years ago I bought a pair of Red Wing boots. They leaked from day 1...not deep water, only 1/4" of water on the floor.

I bought them from the "Shoe truck" that came to my work place.

I called them and they said to "send them in and we will evaluate them". I said, send me new boots to wear and I will send in the leakers. Needless to say I wore the boots for 2 years with a leaky right sole.

Now I replaced them with another pair of Red Wings (different seller) and I'll be damn if the right boots leaks too! I will just live with I guess as I can't afford $150 boots every month!

• Dieselcubmike and BTS have said thanks

#9 Diesel1050 ONLINE  

Diesel1050

Diesel Nut!

• Member No: 69580
  • 348 Thanks
  • 396 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 05:19 AM

Carolinas. Theyre waterproof, dirt proof, oil proof, and bulletproof! Steel toe and insulated too!. I wear them all day in the winter when out plowing and they keep my feet nice and toasty! They also arent too warm in the summer.
  • BTS said thank you

#10 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,511 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 05:32 AM

I have wore Wolverine for the last 15 years.  Moved to the acreage and started a lot of outside work then.  Most pairs will last at least 2 years.  The pair I replaced last spring had a seam come apart around the heal.  Had it sewed but didn't do it right so made her do it over.  Now the sole let go on the outside of the left shoe.  Need to get that fixed again and will have 2 pair to switch back and forth.  Never had a need for steel toed shoes.  Winter I wear a heavier sock and rubber  2 buckle overshoes, or my insulated Northern rubber boots.  Rocky is a great brand for any type of shoe.  Wore them for years but no place to buy them now around close.

• BTS said thank you

#11 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 06:48 AM

Carolina for me too, one of the few I've found that I can wear.   With a size 14EE foot, it's not easy to find good shoes!

• BTS said thank you

#12 kellerman88 OFFLINE  

kellerman88
  • Member No: 69470
  • 137 Thanks
  • 75 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 07:09 AM

https://www.lacrossefootwear.com/

Or 

http://www.sorel.com/ 

My Sorels are turning 5 this year. I really only wear them for deer hunting however. 

• BTS said thank you

#13 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,806 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 07:35 AM

Local place called Ocean State Job Lot gets in military surplus(or factory over runs) once in a while. I bought nice desert boots on sale(veterans got 25% off) for $19.00. They have lasted 4 years so far. Boots only used to last 6 months on the road work I was doing. The sharp rock would slice through the soles of the boots. These desert are also surprisingly comfortable, much better than the jungle boots of 45 years ago which were pretty comfortable. They have vents in the arches so, they are not water proof. Shop around. Good Luck, Rick
  • BTS and michael.kitko have said thanks

#14 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 08:59 AM

Best boot I ever had were Rocky Patrol boots. ( they are now 33 years old. Leather is still good soles are shot) Gortex lined with vibram low groove soles. Wore them on duty for nearly 12 years. Resoled 4 times. Next best were the Wolverine work boots with no steel or composite toe. Soles wore out within a year. Wolverine would not repair or replace. Taking both pair to a resole  / repair shop next week to have them done again. My feet can't take steel toes boots.

Great post like seeing what others like in a good work or sport boot.  Thanks                                                                                                               Roger

• boyscout862 and BTS have said thanks

#15 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 938 Thanks
  • 686 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 09:33 AM

Loyal to Red Wing. I abuse them, and they last. I only buy the Red Wings made in the USA though. I don't know about the foreign mades. Before Red Wings, I wore Lehighs, and for the money I had no real complaints.

• WrenchinOnIt and BTS have said thanks