#1 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 15, 2010 - 05:34 AM

Well,it looks like this wind and rain storm has missed us up here in Nova Scotia,or maybe it has been delayed.It was supposed to hit here last night.How is everyone else making out ?I see some of you got hit pretty hard.

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted March 15, 2010 - 05:45 AM

Not really much of a storm here. Just Lots of Rain:mecry:
  • NUTNDUN said thank you

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 15, 2010 - 06:11 AM

It has been raining here nonstop for the last three days. Can only hope it makes for extra seat time on the tractors when it comes time to start mowing.

#4 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 15, 2010 - 06:54 AM

It was a wet week and we had a little thunder/lightning, one morning, but no storms in my part of Illinois. Tornado season is right around the corner though.

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 15, 2010 - 07:23 AM

Bill56,
Do you get quite a few tornados where you live ? That is something we don't get here.

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 15, 2010 - 12:07 PM

I don't know if I could handle worrying about tornados. Being in north east IL you don't get them around there that often do ya?

#7 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,564 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted March 15, 2010 - 01:27 PM

We got hail & driving rains Sat morning. Tornado area here. About 10yrs ago, one hit a dairy about 12 miles from here. Live cows were walking around with 2x4's sticking from their sides! Literally! Many dead of course, and his milk parlor was GONE, plus all his other buildings gone or destroyed beyond repair. His silo was knocked down, plus his grain bins were blown 2 miles away and corn scattered over miles. His house is near, but somehow was almost totally untouched. Lots of other homes were destroyed as well near the dairy. He rebuilt the dairy, but didn't stay in business long after. I think it all took a toll on him, so he sold out, but kept his home there.
The same storm hit a small older community about 6 miles further away from the dairy. Older wood sided homes. I found clapboards, canceled checks, etc from those houses in my fields some 18 to 20 miles they traveled in the air to settle down here. Only one man was killed which was a miracle.

#8 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 15, 2010 - 05:56 PM

Compared to say, Oklahoma, Kansas, or other states in "Tornado Alley" , no, we don't get them as often. But they are very common here, and very violent. I've been fortunate to never have been hit by one personally, but have had some close calls. On August 28, 1980 Plainfield, Illinois had one of the worst tornado's ever recorded, in Illinois History. It's a town about 30 minutes from me. The tornado was on the ground for 16.4 miles! 27 people were killed, 350 injured and more than $140 million in property damage. There were four individual tornadoes spinning around one main storm. The Plainfield high school was destroyed. Miraculously classes weren't due to start until the next day!
Hopefully, the weather people have learned something. The tornado touched down just before 3:30 PM, and at 3:51 PM, after the death and destruction was over, the National Weather Service issued it's first tornado warning of the day. Prior to that announcement, only a severe thunderstorm warning was in place.
It hit my mom's cousin's place dead on. I went out there, the day after the tornado, and couldn't believe the destruction. I started crying like a baby. I guess, because I was so glad they weren't hurt, and because of all the destruction that was done. Fortunately, they weren't home at the time. Although severely damaged, their old farmhouse survived, but the barn and outbuildings were destroyed. They had to put long lag bolts in, from the outside of the house, to pull the rim joists back into the floor joists, because they had been pushed out by the wind.
I think the worst "material damage," that a tornado does, is to the trees. The ones that aren't blown over, stand there like an eerie statue. Their leaves are completely gone and have been replaced by parts of peoples houses and personal possessions from, God only knows, how many miles away.

#9 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted March 15, 2010 - 06:08 PM

Compared to say, Oklahoma, Kansas, or other states in "Tornado Alley" , no, we don't get them as often. But they are very common here, and very violent. I've been fortunate to never have been hit by one personally, but have had some close calls. On August 28, 1980 Plainfield, Illinois had one of the worst tornado's ever recorded, in Illinois History. It's a town about 30 minutes from me. The tornado was on the ground for 16.4 miles! 27 people were killed, 350 injured and more than $140 million in property damage. There were four individual tornadoes spinning around one main storm. The Plainfield high school was destroyed. Miraculously classes weren't due to start until the next day!
Hopefully, the weather people have learned something. The tornado touched down just before 3:30 PM, and at 3:51 PM, after the death and destruction was over, the National Weather Service issued it's first tornado warning of the day. Prior to that announcement, only a severe thunderstorm warning was in place.
It hit my mom's cousin's place dead on. I went out there, the day after the tornado, and couldn't believe the destruction. I started crying like a baby. I guess, because I was so glad they weren't hurt, and because of all the destruction that was done. Fortunately, they weren't home at the time. Although severely damaged, their old farmhouse survived, but the barn and outbuildings were destroyed. They had to put long lag bolts in, from the outside of the house, to pull the rim joists back into the floor joists, because they had been pushed out by the wind.
I think the worst "material damage," that a tornado does, is to the trees. The ones that aren't blown over, stand there like an eerie statue. Their leaves are completely gone and have been replaced by parts of peoples houses and personal possessions from, God only knows, how many miles away.

Good to hear you and your family were unharmed.
It definietly could have been much worse.....

#10 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,564 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted March 15, 2010 - 08:02 PM

The worst ever in Ky was on April 3rd, 1974. Meade County Ky, got hit hard. 30 people died in & near Brandenburg by an F5 tornado. This series of tornadoes covered several states. Louisville got hit also, but not sure of number of deaths there. It was a bad series of tornadoes for sure. Hope I never have to face one of them.

#11 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 15, 2010 - 10:52 PM

The worst ever in Ky was on April 3rd, 1974. Meade County Ky, got hit hard. 30 people died in & near Brandenburg by an F5 tornado. This series of tornadoes covered several states. Louisville got hit also, but not sure of number of deaths there. It was a bad series of tornadoes for sure. Hope I never have to face one of them.

That same series of storms hit Tulsa Oklahoma just about the same time, we've had so many F4, and F5 tornados recorded here, it's a wonder were not in another state by now. We had one a mile wide on the ground for over 25 miles and wipped out most of the Southeastern suburbs of OKC and raged all the way up the turnpike to Tulsa. Midwest city was just slabs, no sticks, no trees, wiped clean as a babies bottom. We don't lose many lives, it's real hard to kill an Okie, that why so many end up as astronauts, lol.