• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 07:38 PM

Looking for cheap weight to add to my tractor for winter.... ON the rear for some added weight for traction.  This will be going on my briney hitch,, on a Bolens 1556  ..

I already have my fat a$$ = 200lb  and 40lb weights on the tires... But last year I just kept spinning my tires in a wet snow.. I'm looking at some rubber tire chains to help... But I noticed the weight of the snowcaster is taking away from the rear traction...

I went to look at maybe some old weight lifting weights ,,, but they want a dollar a pound..  What could I add ,, pound --for pound to add weight to the back end..    I was thinking on the line of something that would have a center hole and put it through the briney hitch hole...  I thought of just filling a 8  or 10 inch tire with cement,, but not sure if that adds a lot of weight ,, compaired to steel,, or lead...

Any thoughts ,,or what have others used..??      sodi

• Coventry Plumber said thank you

#2 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,116 Thanks
  • 3,206 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 08:09 PM

I use old cast iron water trough and fill it with scrap steel. About 175 to 200 lb I get out of that and hang it on the rear. Then figure out a quick attach method. Washer fluid in the tires too, is what's on one of mine. One in picture has loaded tires. 6x12, weight is about 35 lbs each tire. Noel.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• Alc said thank you

#3 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,576 Thanks
  • 3,958 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 08:51 PM

I use a chunk of concrete. Somewhere around 120 pounds.

#4 1oldbuzz OFFLINE  

1oldbuzz
  • Member No: 61298
  • 261 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 12:40 AM

Watch the CL free ads always someone giving away weight sets

or worst case cheap

Last year I found some nice stack weights from a quality weight system (like in a gym)

200 pounds worth for $40

A 5 gallon bucket filled with street sand (free) would also work and the sand barrels will

be coming out soon

• Alc said thank you

#5 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 04:09 AM

Do you have the tires filled?

Windshield washer fluid is about 8.34 pounds a gallon, and "Rim-Guard" (beet juice) is around 11 pounds per gallon.

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 05:21 AM

What ever you decide on as far as weights you might want to do what I do on my PK ,I made a concrete weight little bigger then 1'sq for the 3pt , it's heavy enough for concerns of wearing out or damaging the lift linkage for a winter's worth of use . I then got a small length of chain and bolt to go through , raised the lift arms and chain it in place to the frame .  

• sodisr said thank you

#7 coop OFFLINE  

coop

• Member No: 669
  • 24 Thanks
  • 103 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 06:25 AM

Doughnuts

• propane1 and alec have said thanks

#8 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 09:46 AM

Doughnuts

LOL!

#9 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 12:37 PM

The weight I want will be going on my Briny hitch...  Haven't thought about the hydraulics,, cause the snocaster and the briny hitch will be working at the same time ( up-down )  

#10 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 01:08 PM

Adding that weight to the sleeve hitch may well overload the hydraulics.

I'd look at Rim Guard in the tires instead.

According to the fill chart on their page, 23x10.50-12 tires will take 6.8 gal. which would be 72.8 lbs/tire.

• sodisr said thank you

#11 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 02:14 PM

I run rv antifreeze in my tires and the cast wheel wieghts. I have gbc lumberjack atv tires on back and man are they heavy! No slipping except alittle on ice.  I ran 2 winters and never had a need to put chains on.

#12 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 09:02 PM

Looking for cheap weight to add to my tractor for winter.... ON the rear for some added weight for traction.  This will be going on my briney hitch,, on a Bolens 1556  ..

I already have my fat a$$ = 200lb  and 40lb weights on the tires... But last year I just kept spinning my tires in a wet snow.. I'm looking at some rubber tire chains to help... But I noticed the weight of the snowcaster is taking away from the rear traction...

I went to look at maybe some old weight lifting weights ,,, but they want a dollar a pound..  What could I add ,, pound --for pound to add weight to the back end..    I was thinking on the line of something that would have a center hole and put it through the briney hitch hole...  I thought of just filling a 8  or 10 inch tire with cement,, but not sure if that adds a lot of weight ,, compaired to steel,, or lead...

Any thoughts ,,or what have others used..??      sodi

This is what I did for a Massey. http://gardentractor...hts#entry554498

#13 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,737 Thanks
  • 1,730 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 10:32 PM

I filled my Kubota (20hp Scut) rear tires full of RV antifreeze, it worked great, I also added 2 pairs of wheel weights (one pair on inside, other pair on outside).

I also have cast iron weights on my Bolens HT23 and I'm getting ready to fill the tires with RV antifreeze. There isn't anyone around there that does the Rim Guard so I had to make due with what I had. I'm very impressed with the antifreeze and it was super easy to put in!

Edited by BTS, September 30, 2015 - 10:32 PM.