#1 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 06:19 PM

Went over to the shop today and lets just say it wasn't worth it. When I first pulled up and climbed out of the pickup, I somehow hit my cell phone (LG 4G smart phone) out of my shirt pocket and it did a back drop onto the sand drive way. I had a hard plastic cover over the screen and a case around the rest of the phone. Somehow even with the tempered screen cover, it managed to crack the screen in several places. It is still working but I can't hardy "click" on the icons that the crack is on. I then headed into the shed, fired up the torch ( :firejumper: ) and made one cut on a piece of box steel, then ran out of oxygen so I couldn't work on my projects anyway.

I guess I would of been a lot better just to stay home :ah_shoot:

• NUTNDUN, Gtractor, MH81 and 8 others have said thanks

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 06:31 PM

It's never a good feeling when a phone takes a tumble. I have had that experience once and hope to never have it again. They are not cheap anymore. It sucks too when what you planned on working on you can't finish either because of the wrong parts, not the right tools or something goes wrong with the tools.

• Traill95, BTS and propane1 have said thanks

#3 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,628 Thanks
  • 3,919 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 06:34 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=ZAAKPJEq1Ew

:wave: 

• NUTNDUN and BTS have said thanks

#4 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 06:47 PM

I had a large insect land on my hand as I was talking on my phone several months ago and instinctively flung it across the garage floor,I now have a new phone.

• NUTNDUN, boyscout862, BTS and 1 other said thanks

#5 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 06:50 PM

Not as expensive, but this guy dropped his new Stanley from here. 

Attached Thumbnails

• attachment.jpg
  • attachment1.jpg
  • attachment2.jpg
  • attachment3.jpg
  • attachment4.jpg

• NUTNDUN, Cvans, BTS and 1 other said thanks

#6 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,115 Thanks
  • 3,205 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 07:33 PM

I allways run out of fuel or gas for the welders on the weekend, just after noon time, then every thing is closed until Monday !!!@$)@@)&"&(;(@$$&). Noel
  • MH81 and BTS have said thanks

#7 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,684 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 08:08 PM

Can the phone be repaired? Maybe they need to be warranteed.

• BTS said thank you

#8 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 08:23 PM

$50 deductible on most phones on isurance, AND, if the screen is broken, $200 automaic charge. Verizon wants you to update,yet if you have broken phone not done on contract, it will cost you $200 to trade broken screen one in. Wife has that, still working, but not able to trade up.

• BTS said thank you

#9 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 08:43 PM

I've replaced screens on iPhones. It's not difficult but you need good eyes. Google it. If it can be done somebody has made a video of it. I picked up my new screen off Amazon.
  • BTS said thank you

#10 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 09:12 PM

$50 deductible on most phones on isurance, AND, if the screen is broken, $200 automaic charge. Verizon wants you to update,yet if you have broken phone not done on contract, it will cost you $200 to trade broken screen one in. Wife has that, still working, but not able to trade up.

The Verizon offered insurance decutible is 99 to 199. Doesn't matter if you ran it over with your truck or if you lost it. Detucible is based on the cost of the device. There is no automatic 200 dollars because you broke the screen. It just depends on the device.

My wife broke her Samsung s6 last month it was 149.99. Cracked screen. My mother in law broke her iPhone 6 plus cracked screen and it was 199.99. When I cracked the screen on my Samsung galaxy 5 it was 99.

Verizon just isn't going to give you a phone for free because it broke from being dropped. Considering if you went out and purchased the phone out right it would rack you more than 200. A friend of mine was dumb and didn't get insurance cost him 600 to replace his iphone. It was only a few days old.

I'm not saying it all isn't a racket in its own way, but the new smart phones are pretty pricey and well if you got one you gotta pay when you break it.

http://www.verizonwi...ction-overview/

Edited by toomanytoys84, September 29, 2015 - 09:26 PM.

#11 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 09:15 PM

I talked to my brother today, he said he can fix it, he has a solder reworker for heating the screen since it is glued on, he also has a (i-fix it kit) tool kit that has all of the super small screwdrivers, picks and all kinds of tools to take this little tiny stuff apart. He is good at working on stuff like this, he had to do some soldering on my i-phone 4S and it turned out just fine. The screen will only cost me $30 which doesn't seem to bad at all. Hopefully he can get it fixed up. Right now the phone isn't working right, it keeps "clicking" stuff under it's own power. I have it laying on the table now and it keeps turning it's self on???. Anyway, hopefully we can get it patched back together.

• propane1 said thank you

#12 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 09:24 PM

I talked to my brother today, he said he can fix it, he has a solder reworker for heating the screen since it is glued on, he also has a (i-fix it kit) tool kit that has all of the super small screwdrivers, picks and all kinds of tools to take this little tiny stuff apart. He is good at working on stuff like this, he had to do some soldering on my i-phone 4S and it turned out just fine. The screen will only cost me $30 which doesn't seem to bad at all. Hopefully he can get it fixed up. Right now the phone isn't working right, it keeps "clicking" stuff under it's own power. I have it laying on the table now and it keeps turning it's self on???. Anyway, hopefully we can get it patched back together.

Did you order replacement glass?

The display is layered. Glass, digitizer then the "screen". Usually a cracked glass is an easy fix for those that are capable.

I tried to replace a glass once. Got the glass. Tool kit and a YouTube video. Never again. My eyes aren't sharp enough nor my fingers dexterous enough for that. I had a mess. Did learn a lot though then I made my insurance claim.
  • BTS said thank you

#13 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 09:25 PM

Thanks all, this phone is on a contract, It's not a very old phone, it will be 1 year this December, but this phone is now considered a "old model" since LG has a new version of it out, so I guess I could upgrade it, but I don't really have the money to spend on a phone. Right now I'm looking at aluminum phone case, the screw on around the phone with a glass screen cover. They suppose to be very strong so I guess I will find out.

#14 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 09:32 PM

Not as expensive, but this guy dropped his new Stanley from here. 

OUCH, that could kill someone below!.  :anvil_drop:
A friend of mine dropped his old touch screen phone off the top of a grain silo (he worked for the co-op), when it fell it hit every ladder rung on the way down (approx a 60' drop). With every hit on the ladder pieces went flying, he climbed down and it ended up just knocking off the back cover, battery, sim card ect. He put it all back together and it worked fine (besides a crack across the screen of course).

I don't half to worry about dropping my phone or anything off of something like that because I won't go no higher then 5' off the ground :oh_shucks:

Edited by BTS, September 29, 2015 - 09:33 PM.

• KC9KAS and propane1 have said thanks

#15 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 10:15 PM

Did you order replacement glass?

The display is layered. Glass, digitizer then the "screen". Usually a cracked glass is an easy fix for those that are capable.

I tried to replace a glass once. Got the glass. Tool kit and a YouTube video. Never again. My eyes aren't sharp enough nor my fingers dexterous enough for that. I had a mess. Did learn a lot though then I made my insurance claim.

He is going to pull it apart before he orders the glass, he said he can remove the glass from the LCD and if that ends up not working, the glass with the LCD attached cost $60, so if he can't remove the glass then he will just order the glass with the LCD attached.

I hope he knows what he's talking about :biting_nails:

• propane1 said thank you