Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Ferguson tractor wood splitter , pictures.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 11:53 AM

Figured out how to make the wood splitter work. It's slow, but splits. Don't know yet if it will split a big piece. Will have to make a stronger bar to hold the three point arms down. Noel

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• hamman, KennyP, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#2 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 12:36 PM

One thing I can see right off is you need a larger return line back to the tractor.  That quick coupler has to much restriction on the return.  Plumb the line in direct.  When not using the spliter, put a plug in the fitting.  Your pressure line at the tractor looks small also.  It may be the only size you can sue though.  Personally I would find a good old 10 hp Briggs motor and pump and make a stand alone unit.  You can still use the 3 point to move it around.  Will have a lot more power, more fuel efficient, probably faster and better set up all around.  My opinion only.  Your machine, build it the way YOU want it.  Good luck.  Rog

• Gtractor, boyscout862, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#3 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 12:45 PM

Thanks , I understand all your points. Just low on the money at the moment. Will try the direct route on the return. Noel.

I do have a cast iron 10 hp Briggs here.

Edited by propane1, September 29, 2015 - 12:50 PM.

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 05:37 PM

Thanks , I understand all your points. Just low on the money at the moment. Will try the direct route on the return. Noel.

I do have a cast iron 10 hp Briggs here.

That is what I use on my spliter.  I use a B belt for a little more bite area.  Now a good pump and your all set.  When I set mine up I set the cylinder to be at the end of it's stroke about 2" from the splitting wedge.  Just as a safety thing.  That old 10 hp Briggs will out work any of the new 15 hp engines.  I put a 15 hp Honda on it for a short time just for the electric start.  The Honda just did not have the get down and dirty guts to do the job.  I could kill it about any time with a knot or crotch split.  Put that wood in right and the Briggs would shove it right on through.  Might twist the 12" H beam it is built on a little but it would not quit.  Good luck.  Rog

• Alc and propane1 have said thanks

#5 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 07:12 PM

Briggs has starter/ generator. So will be able to put a battery some where and hook all the stuff up, in time. Thanks for your help. I tryed the return, but it made no difference really. At least I have something that will split wood now. Did not have anything before, other than me. Noel

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 07:42 PM

I see a problem looming. Sorry
The pressure you put on the splitter will equal the pressure you put on the brace. Something will bend or give, I'm afraid.
Memory being foggy, I remember that there were some improvements you could make to the system ( 1: a valve that locks the 3 point and lets you run a cyl. 2: a way to re plumb so the 3 point is the aux and the splitter is the primary)
I would find a system manual if possible and see if you can avoid the brace
  • propane1 said thank you

#7 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 08:29 PM

I haven't checked the spec's on that tractor but I doubt the pump will put out more than 4 gals. a minute and could be as low as 2 or 3. If it is the lower values I don't think your hoses will be much of an issue. 

If your going to be running that splitter for long periods of time I would keep and eye on your oil temperatures.

• propane1 said thank you