skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 08:22 AM

Well it looks like the need for a larger Tractor is racing to the for- front it seems! My lgt 165 has met his maximum and needs some help from a bigger partner... What to choose.... Newholland? John Deere? ( what am I thinking!) Massy? Some mickey mouse brand? The choices are crazy and prices vary like new England weather!
Dealer support is a must have!! I don't have time to fiddly fart around waiting for parts or service! It needs acab and mmust have 4 wd. Also needs to be able to run haying equipment if ever needed.
Also I need ground clearance!! For row crops.
Is 60 pto hp enough for a possible round baler ?
So far it looks like Kubota may be my rig of choice, as parts and service are pretty close to me. NH is seriously loosing ground in new England ,as dealers drop them ? Why ? Deere is out ... I hate them and everything about them, good or not, I'll eat crow first! Massy/ agco seem to be loosing out as well? As the mahindras, and Brandons, century s are moving in?
This may prove to be a challenge for sure.
  • daytime dave said thank you

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,767 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 08:55 AM

I would not want to be in your situation. I have a low opinion of any of the new stuff and believe the 1973 Ford 2000 and its bigger brothers were the pinacle of tractor production. Maybe you can find two good used Ford 5000s. They would be less than a new tractor. Parts are available and reasonable. Search CL for tractors you like. Good Luck, Rick

Look at this one  http://worcester.cra...5218975191.html

Edited by boyscout862, September 29, 2015 - 09:09 AM.

#3 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 08:57 AM

To be honest, they all make good machines and are all very close in abilities as well as what they offer.  It really comes down to parts availability in your area as you said.  I bought the Massey.  At the time I bought it, the dealer also sold Mahindra which was about $1000 more up front for the base tractor.  The dealer told me that the Mahindra seems to be a good tractor but he couldn't say how it would be in the long run as they were too new to the area at the time.  That's honesty in my book.  The deere dealer didn't care if I was looking to buy or not.  just didn't have the time for me.  The Kubota dealer sat down with me and went over things but he didn't even want to consider my trade.  I found the Kubota far more expensive for less tractor which really surprised me.  The New Holland dealer was never open when I could get there.  I went back for the Massey and never looked back.  I really like it.  It's a SCUT so it wouldn't have the ground clearance that you probably want.  We had a Branson dealer at the time but they have since closed.  There is a TYM dealer somewhere but they don't seem to be catching on either.  Like I said, they are all so close in price and abilities (at least around here) that you really have to go with whoever WANTS your business.  Good luck.

#4 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,309 Thanks
  • 4,660 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 09:26 AM

A beast caught my eye on the way home from the grandkids football game Sunday..  A JD 420 with a monstrous snowblower and the weights and all the goodies for 3K..  The owners were moving to Kentucky..  I'm sure it sold fast..  The thing was a beast!!

I'll never buy a new lawnmower unless it's a push..  

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, September 29, 2015 - 09:28 AM.

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,658 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 04:24 PM

I think Massey has good selection. Fella at work looked at them and he went back to New Holland like he had that was burnt up in a fire.  Think his was 45 hp or so, with loader.  I think those package deals that are offered with tractor, tiller, mower or loader and box blade and such are the best buys.  Some even have a trailer to haul them on in the deals. Those might be smaller than what you want tho, not sure. Case/IH is same as New Holland now, but red. Ones near me look nice, but sure prices aren't that good. I've always favored Kioti brand for the Scut size, but not so sure on dealers in areas. Think they like Kubota are getting into bigger tractors now too, look on web for their site and see.

#6 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,848 Thanks
  • 3,191 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 12:45 AM

Make is up to you, but parts availability and service are the big considerations in my humble opinion. If you're considering a big round baler however, better to be over powered than under. My Olde Deere wouldn't use anything with less than 90 pto hp. for baling.

• skyrydr2 and jpackard56 have said thanks

#7 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 06:27 AM

Never made round bales, only converted them to square bales, and that is a royal pain! Makes way too much dust! Hmmm, 90 pto hp is a bunch for the garden... The tractor size is really going to be set on the beef situation, if I have to raise more of my own then a larger Tractor is a must have, as iI will need something to handle poop with in a larger scale.
Only place i really need to wworry about is the feed lot, they mess that up big time in the winter months. And i hate to see dirty critters !
As for tractors, the Kubota 9960 looks like a nice unit, sized about right for haying, a bit large for gardening though, but it qould relieve the 2120 NH for garden duty, I would use the big rig for deep plowing when nessesary , and rock picking duty
Also really like the new kubota mower that goes on the 3 point, it would make getting in ans out of fields way easier and road travel a breeze.
Another question, who makes a good center pickup small square baler? I have some fields that are billygoat country, and the side pickup units are hairy scarey at best!

#8 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,241 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 09:28 PM

Kubota all the way.

#9 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 10:53 PM

This might be worth a look if a dealer is near you. TYM had excellent reviews from a dealer I know. He had tried different brands without much luck and unhappy customers. After Selling TYM's he never switched again. When he retired the next owner stayed with them and as far as I know still is a dealer for them. I had actually considered selling them but was too close to an established dealer so no go. I haven't followed their latest offerings but it might be worth looking into. 

Good luck with your search and I hope what ever you choose is a good machine for you. 

• skyrydr2 said thank you

#10 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 11:14 PM

Dad has purchased three brand new Mahindra's in recent years.  All three are different, but all are 28 hp compact tractors.  They are doing well and "start" everytime.  I had suggested he sell some of the junk and get something that runs good.  That was all after I purchased an old Bolens diesel.  That started something.  The Mahindra's work well and seem to have good features.  They claim to be popular.  I think they are.  

I'd look at what they have in your HP range.  I don't think they are going away anytime soon.

Good luck.

• skyrydr2 said thank you

#11 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted October 01, 2015 - 03:48 AM

The local Kubota / NH dealer also sells TYM ? I am going to talk with them to see what kind of deal they can do, I also want to try these things out first!! I know the Kubota guys will bring one right out, as will the NH dealer(same guys) not sure about Mahindras, a friend of mine has one and hates it? But his is an older model. Im not sure if they have a model large enough ?
3 major considerations are must haves: good pto features, a very strong 3 point hitch and a rugged loader with good visibility.
  • Cvans said thank you

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 01, 2015 - 07:22 AM

Kioti? They are built by the same company that owns Bobcat. They are solid and well equipped. People used to say they were a Kubota clone. That may have been the case at one point but nowadays the engineering looks to be different from Kubota in many ways, and they deserve to be looked at as a serious brand. When you are getting into 90hp that's an area I am not familiar with. Dealer support is a big consideration and if you are buying used a lot depends on what is available at the time you need it. 

• oldedeeres said thank you

#13 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted October 01, 2015 - 11:05 AM

There is one tractor that stands out in that power range and has decades of good reviews to support it.  That would be the JD 4020. One of these in nice condition can be had for 10 to 12,000 dollars in this area. They make an excellent loader tractor and continue to increase in value. 

They are rear wheel drive though and that might be a problem for you. I understand the power shift is the more desirable of the two options available. I do have experience with them and am grateful for the time I spent on one. Hard to beat a good tractor that appreciates in value while you own and work it.  :thumbs:

• jpackard56 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#14 chuckerfarm2014 OFFLINE  

chuckerfarm2014
  • Member No: 62364
  • 27 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted October 01, 2015 - 12:26 PM

When you you get to 90hp better stay with new holland, Deere, or Massey. Their the brands been farming that scale for years not Kubota or kioti hahah . And ih is a red new holland now
  • oldedeeres said thank you

#15 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,848 Thanks
  • 3,191 posts

Posted October 01, 2015 - 10:57 PM

I agree Cvans, the J.D. 4020 is hard to beat, we had one before we got the 4040. It's a very handy loader tractor as well, but hard to come by in my part of the country. It's been a long time since they were new. The only improvement my Olde Deere wanted on his was front wheel assist for work in a mucky corral and cleaning barns.

• Cvans and jpackard56 have said thanks