#1 Gtractor OFFLINE  

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,402 Thanks
  • 3,815 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 09:29 PM

This last weekend was our local antique tractor show.  Due to poor management and very poor treatment of exhibitors it has gotten smaller every year to the point where it is now only a two day show.  The tractor pull is gone. There are no flywheel engines because when they pop, it makes too much noise.     Basically the show is dying. 

I always maintain and take 6 Moline tractors out for a local widow.  She lost her husband back in '04 and I make sure her EZ-GO golf cart that is painted like a Moline is there for her to get around on.  She is roughly 80 years young and can't climb upon the tractors like she used to.

This year they featured Massey - Harris - Ferguson and all related equipment.  Sunday evening when I was out to the show grounds to put the Molines away for another 363 day sleep I saw the president of the club.  I don't attend the show itself if I can find ANYTHING else to do so I asked him how many Massey related tractors they had.  He too quickly responded "4" but then stated they might just stop having a feature because when they have "off brand" features they don't get many.  

:say_what:         I wonder if they had any feature tractors.

I once again offered the suggestion of a garden tractor feature.  This idea of mine has been met with serious resistance before by an officer of the club but this guy seemed to be much more level headed.

Or so I thought.

His exact words were: "thats not an agricultural exhibit"

He is too young, as am I, to remember the victory gardens of WWII but this guy is a farmer! 

With that "logic" you guys that garden or actually use your little tractors for anything but mowing need to stop at once.   Those "lawn mowers" weren't designed for plowing and/or cultivating.  

• daytime dave, Alc, hamman and 12 others have said thanks

#2 gunstuff1000 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 40822
  • 924 Thanks
  • 553 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 09:51 PM

I don't know how it is in your area but if you go to any shows this direction and just look around even at the swap meets the majority of what u see has been an increasing amount of garden tractors and related items Would be nice if more shows would focus more on the garden tractors some have started to head in that direction
  • Gtractor, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#3 classic OFFLINE  

• Member No: 52970
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 1,584 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 10:43 PM

Sometimes I think that there might be 6 or seven people interested in what I'm doing with garden tractors. I don't know of anyone close by that has a real interest in these old machines. I'm pretty much in a world by myself unless I come here to chat. I don't mind, because I'll always have an interest and I use most of what I have. I do this whole tractor routine because I like the quality and simple engineering in these old tractors. Researching the history of each and every one is a great learning experience, too. The general population has changed quite a bit, too. I guess everybody has their thing.
  • Gtractor, Cvans, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#4 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,380 Thanks
  • 3,961 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 12:04 AM

Hi Kris, I've made the absolutely same experiences as you here in Germany...  absolutely the same!

• daytime dave, Gtractor, Alc and 2 others have said thanks

#5 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 12:04 AM

Local guy here (heavy equipment operator by trade) finally just bought a piece of land to live on... And host the antique equipment show twice a year. Decided he could no longer put up with the crap at the Park. Way better set up because he went thru the woods and selectively cut the smaller stuff out to lave big shade trees and plenty of room for equipment. He is an artist with a bulldozer (or any other mechanical machine / earth shaper).

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, September 29, 2015 - 12:05 AM.

• daytime dave, Gtractor, Alc and 3 others have said thanks

#6 karl OFFLINE  

• Member No: 38218
  • 926 Thanks
  • 702 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 03:38 AM

Big,New and Grand ideas!To bad the past one's drove everyone away. Time to do the old side step!

• Gtractor, Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 chieffan OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 5,775 Thanks
  • 4,287 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 03:42 AM

Kris, I know exactly what you mean.  A couple of us tried to get the "guy" in charge of the local fair to go with a GT one day show. 'Might have to look at that" was his comment.  That is the last we heard, and the fair is getting smaller every year.  He is one of these guys that is it isn't his idea it isn't any good.

Have the same problem with our local race track.  20 years ago when I was involved the board that run the ground and track were all about the same age.  We had a good time and good crowds.  The people follow the cars and out car count for any given Saturday night would be over 100 in 3 classes.  A we got older and one by one back out (or was pushed out)  by the younger generation who wanted to do things their way.  Car counts kept going down as drivers got fed up with the lack of discipline and favoritism.  Car count is down to 75 or less with 4 classes.  Each car represents about 20 - 25 people in the stands.  Figure that one out and you will see why they can't make it go like it used to.  They don't want any of our advise as they know it all.  Typical younger generation, if they can't make it happen by pushing a button they are lost.

• Gtractor, Alc, wvbuzzmaster and 3 others have said thanks

#8 petrj6 ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,728 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 04:57 AM

Around here I run into the exact opposite, the guys that are running the shows know they are getting smaller and harder to keep going and they are doing everything in the world to get people to show up and display.  I get two or three calls a year to bring my tractors to locale shows, as a matter of fact there is a very small show next weekend that I want to attend but will miss because I have other stuff going on.

Classic- you would be surprised the amount of people out there that do this hobby, I am a bit of a nut about garden tractors and love to chat about them to anyone that will listen and am always surprised by the amount of people that would love to get into the hobby or already are.  Most people aren't as crazy as us and collect ten or twelve they just have one they play with.  As long as we are here and keep going this hobby will stay alive.

• Gtractor, Alc, wvbuzzmaster and 5 others have said thanks

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,707 Thanks
  • 28,350 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 06:24 AM

A few yrs back, we had garden tractors as a feature. Biggest show in years and years.

It all started with a couple of us exhibiting. Showing the diversity these machines had, the potential for work that far exceeded most visiter's expectations, the attachments, etc.

Now, our last two annual tractor tours were thru the woods on GT's (next year will be on big ones open road again, I think) the annual GT Games are a mainstay at our show and more kids have been involved than we've had for several years.
IDK where the future of our local show/club stands, but having GT's and what started with a couple collectors has blossomed into quite a few GT's annually and each year another collector in our midst.
  • Gtractor, wvbuzzmaster, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,750 Thanks
  • 2,726 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 07:14 AM

Although we are the garden state, I don't know of any garden tractor shows here in NJ and in my neighborhood I'm that guy, but we do have some local car shows and I've brought my GT'S to them , the response by people young and old is amazing questions like what is that what do you use that for, where can I get one. I think it would be fun to get together with our members here in NJ and have a little show of our own. I'll tell you this, whenever you bring something red and shiny its going to draw attention. Well, green and yellow shiny also, Deere me what was I thinking.IMG_0858.JPG
  • Gtractor, wvbuzzmaster, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#11 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,207 Thanks
  • 2,363 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 07:16 AM

I was at this show both Friday & Saturday, I would guess about 1/2 of normal tractor numbers for this show.  Part of the problem is the younger generation around here has little interest in these shows.  The older generation that has operated this show is dying off!  Higher expenses in operating them are increasing don't help either.  The garden tractor display was mainly three people & two of us have cut back on our collection.  Not saying "garden tractors" wouldn't be a good feature, but it's only become popular as such in the last few years in this area.  Tractor Shows 2015 001.JPG  Tractor Shows 2015 003.JPG

As for the hit & miss, this show never had the numbers of some area shows.  I ticked one operator off Saturday morning when I got there, here sat his big engine (4' flywheel) 10' from my exhibit, running under a 10' high metal roof.  I asked if he planed on letting it run all day, he immediately got "huffy" about it, but did move it outside!

Don't know what the answer is, but since I'm not willing to join their club, I'm probably not helping either.  Maybe they need to attend a couple of the other shows in the area to see how they operate!  

• Gtractor, KennyP and HANKG have said thanks

#12 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,676 Thanks
  • 39,056 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 07:38 AM

We need to start doing some games or something with them here. We have no ground to work around here. Been trying to figure out an easy to set up balance thingy. I have some 2-3/8" pipe I could use, but not sure if it would be high enough for some of the heavier GT's. Thought about putting a soccer ball into a bucket on it's side. And I have some chain to do use for that game.

• Gtractor and wvbuzzmaster have said thanks

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 07:51 AM

One needs to get creative to promote these events. While there used to be one big event going on at a time to draw a crowd, not the case anymore.
The Drake Relays ( started in 1910) used to be the biggest event in DES Moines every spring. It would draw athletes from around the world and attendance was huge. Now there are at least 4 other big attractions and events going on the same week as the relays.
This splits up the available attendees.
So I think open minded creative promotions are going to be required, to make an event fly.
  • Gtractor said thank you

#14 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 09:04 AM

We need to start doing some games or something with them here. We have no ground to work around here. Been trying to figure out an easy to set up balance thingy. I have some 2-3/8" pipe I could use, but not sure if it would be high enough for some of the heavier GT's. Thought about putting a soccer ball into a bucket on it's side. And I have some chain to do use for that game.

Just don't use bearings and tons of grease like Alan and Steve did on their tractor balance... That sucker is tough to get a tractor to balance on. Although I did get a Springfield to balance on it for over 18 hours... Lol. (Alan took pictures). I'm pretty sure that record WILL stand for years to come lol.
  • Gtractor, MH81, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#15 larrybl OFFLINE  

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,792 Thanks
  • 3,249 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 09:26 AM

From what I have found out, the 44th Annual State "Tractor and Engine Association" show this weekend has not had a GT exibit, but has welcomed us to bring our machines. I think 4 or 5 have committed. I hope we can "grow" on this event. And yes, I am bringing the snow blower. 

• Gtractor, MH81, KennyP and 1 other said thanks