• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rbooker OFFLINE  

rbooker
  • Member No: 54463
  • 265 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 09:23 PM

overall im pretty pleased with the tractor.  im happy to have a set of weights and the blade.  has some issues that need to be addressed as expected.  the biggest issue is with the right rear hub and axle.  for some reason or another someone welded the axle nut to the hub and tried to weld the whole thing to the axle and its a mess.  looks like at some point the key in the axle either was broken/wrong size/left out/etc.   I can probably salvage the hub but will need to replace the axle or have it built back up and machined.   I need to make and install a hand control speed lever.  I would like to find an original style throttle control to install.  if anyone knows any potential source for a control with that style please let me know.  need to do a bit of cleanup/adjustment on the pump mount on the rear and tighten up a few loose fittings on the hydraulics to the loader.  would be a great restoration project having already been painted over before and that is my intention one of these days.   stay tuned here for any progress as/if it occurs.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2386.JPG
  • IMG_2391.JPG
  • IMG_2392.JPG
  • IMG_7256.JPG
  • IMG_2397.JPG
  • IMG_2398.JPG

• RAJ, MH81, Alc and 7 others have said thanks

#2 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 05:58 AM

Great find! Envious on the FEL and back blade. Both are rare pieces for sure!
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 06:35 AM

Nice piece of bush hogdom and a jewel in the rough for any collection.
Bad news about the axel, good luck on fixing her up.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#4 rbooker OFFLINE  

rbooker
  • 265 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted October 07, 2015 - 05:43 PM

short update.  I was able to get some parts and Saturday night I fixed the rear axle/seal/hub issue in short order.  now we are on to ignition.  I am convinced that this tractor has not run in some time due to bad solid state ignition on the tecumseh engine.  im guessing the starter was used to turn the engine over enough to raise the loader up.  this would likely explain installation of a new starter recently but why the tractor had to be loaded manually.  starter solenoid was bad and I had one I had taken off another tractor that worked so I put it on.  now we got juice but no spark.  after checking everything over I just pulled the engine and broke it down and now plan to start the conversion on the ignition.  now im just hoping that they did not ruin the transmission by dragging or pushing it around without opening the bypass.  basically from what I have seen im convinced that the tractor wasn't running even though I was told it was running properly.  as they say...buyer beware.  no hill for a stepper.  I shall persevere.  more info to come one of these days.

• olcowhand, RAJ, Alc and 3 others have said thanks

#5 rbooker OFFLINE  

rbooker
  • 265 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted November 03, 2015 - 03:18 PM

with the rain keeping me out of the field this weekend I was able to tinker with the engine.  after some testing I was able to determine that my stator was indeed bad.  it had great continuity but made no current.  I called a local fellow who is an avid garden tractor puller and has become a good friend (I got one of my bush hogs from him) to ask if he may have an old engine or stator sitting around or if he could point me in any direction to try to find one that may work locally.  he had an oh160 that someone gave him and he said I could have it since he had no intentions of doing anything with it.  it had been on a miller welder so it had a different crank, otherwise I could have probably used it as a replacement.  I was able to put the stator on my engine and I swapped the starter since the one I had had also nearly been ruined and now I have great cranking speed and good spark.  next ill clean the fuel system and go ahead and rewire it then hopefully will be ready to get it going.  slowly but surely...

• olcowhand, RAJ and sacsr have said thanks

#6 rbooker OFFLINE  

rbooker
  • 265 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted November 09, 2015 - 06:37 PM

the hd-12 lives again!  did a little work on the wiring and went ahead and put a new ignition switch.  put the gas to it and it fired up nicely.  runs pretty good and smooth with no smoke.  had to do some work on the hydraulic pump for the loader.  there was a piece of cloth for a key in the keyway so that was not going over well (whoever had this tractor was apparently very opposed to woodruff keys).  got that fixed with a key and a little work on the adaptor.  loader functions very nicely also.  drag link was broken but a pretty easy fix with the welder and then i was able to have drive around the yard.  I was very happy to see that the rear end seems to be in proper order.  a few little things here and there and it should be in pretty good stead.

• olcowhand, LPBolens, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#7 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted November 09, 2015 - 07:13 PM

That's good news!  But what on earth were they thinking using cloth for a key??? :wallbanging:  :(   The things people do!

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted November 09, 2015 - 07:26 PM

That's good news!  But what on earth were they thinking using cloth for a key??? :wallbanging:  :(   The things people do!

Better than welding it together!

• olcowhand and sacsr have said thanks

#9 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks