Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Found a Pioneer Manufacturing Co. ( Red-E) paper tag after removing the tire from Page tractor rim

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 02:31 PM

The Page tractor that I picked up had no I.D. tag and was painted orange over red. All I could do was assume that it was a Red-E branded Page tractor until now. I just removed one of the tires from the rim and found this paper tag with the Pioneer Manufacturing Co. address on it. The tractor will get painted red when I get around to restoring it.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150928_151713-1.jpg

• Gtractor, Alc, KennyP and 5 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,489 Thanks
  • 39,723 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 03:27 PM

It's so cool to find things like this on our tractors! Congrats!

• classic said thank you

#3 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 06:23 PM

The other wheel has a tag in much better shape. You can read everything on this one.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150928_190243-1-1.jpg

• Alc, Talntedmrgreen and Traill95 have said thanks

#4 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 06:31 PM

An interesting read on the Electric Wheel Co.
http://www.farmcolle...c-wheel-co.aspx
  • Alc, Talntedmrgreen and Bmerf have said thanks

#5 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,222 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 07:52 PM

way cool !!! you going to get that of and save it ?? make a neat little collectors thing in a frame on display.

Pete

• classic said thank you

#6 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 08:19 PM

No way to get it off without destroying it, Pete. The tires are already changed out and aired up. I guess I'll just save the picture.
  • Alc, KennyP and petrj6 have said thanks

#7 oldiron1 ONLINE  

oldiron1
  • Member No: 43924
  • 292 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted October 02, 2015 - 12:57 PM

I actually discovered the same tag inside a rim on a Page that I had and kept the picture of the tag for the same reason. I thought it was funny though, as I purchased the tractor from a guy in Qunicy, IL; the same town the the manufacture of the rims were out of. 

Keep in mind that the Page branded tractors of this era as well as the Red E branded tractors of this era were built by the same folks in the same factory. At our local Red E reunion show earlier this month, Adam and I were approached by a gentleman that worked at the Red E factory out of high school in the early 60's that cut the steel for the frames and machined the axle shafts. He pretty well confirmed that all of the tractors were manufactured by Red E; for both Red E and Page which was brand new news to us as we thought the other way around. This being said; it wouldn't matter if the tractor was sold as a Page or Red E brand, the tag in the wheel would have had the Red E address on them. 

Based on the other info and pictures though, that you've posted of this tractor, there is no doubt in my mind that your tractor is a Red E branded tractor. 

Thanks, Rob

• bread320i, KennyP and classic have said thanks

#8 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted October 02, 2015 - 01:55 PM

Thanks Rob, it's not often that a person gets to talk to someone that worked at the factory where they were made. I looked over the pics from the Red-e reunion and I would have like to have been there. I was wondering if all of the rims for the Page and Red-e tractors from the 60's were painted red.

#9 oldiron1 ONLINE  

oldiron1
  • Member No: 43924
  • 292 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted October 02, 2015 - 05:30 PM

It's hard to say for sure but can confirm every original Page and Red E from this era that I have seen has had red wheels. (Ehich has been only a handfull of tractors) The key there is "original" as many garden tractors have received unique paint jobs throughout the years.

Thanks, Rob

Edited by oldiron1, October 02, 2015 - 05:33 PM.

• classic said thank you

#10 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted October 02, 2015 - 06:56 PM

Thanks again Rob. My tractor was worked hard in the past and had a bunch of added on things, along with the orange paint over the red. I just got done servicing the dropped gear boxes and differential. The previous owner never slid the Fafnir bearing lock collars over the bearings, so the axles would move in and out of the gear boxes about 1/2". Luckily, nothing was damaged and back together. I should have taken a pic of the machined brake bands. They are a thick cast steel/iron ring that push out onto the inside of the bull gear/drum. Metal on metal wet brakes, I didn't expect that. I also changed out the badly dry rotted tires with a better pair of Goodyear 7-16 Super sure grip tires. My tractor is far from original, since its missing the hood and draw bar/lift assembly. I didn't pay much at all for it and it's a blast to use around the place. I will be tearing it down and going over it at some point. I want to see it red again.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150929_133050-1.jpg

• oldiron1 and Tbrooks have said thanks