13 replies to this topic

#1 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 11:02 AM

Well, since March 7th of 2015 my life has been crazy!! On that day my 24'x42' storage building gave in to the snow load on the roof! The roof caved in crushing a lot of my belongings inside including my restored 1050 that was my dads, and the Bolens mutt! A month and few days later we had our 1st baby on April 9th which has drastically changed my priorities and my life also, in a good way of course!! Since then and still now currently, I've been fighting with the insurance company on rebuilding and assessing what was damaged inside the building, while trying to take care of my little guy, and do all the normal "life stuff" I used to do. Well needless to say I couldn't do it all anymore and my tractors and hobbies have been put on the back burner till I can get everything squared away with my collapsed building, and everything out of it and under the roof of my new building before snow flies. Well finally I had time to un-bury my tractors that were safe in my front garage, an move them to there soon to be new home in my newly built steel building that I attached to my existing front garage. I shot some pictures so everyone could see some of my line up, and my plans for the setup. I plan to line up my tractors along the wall, and then put up pallet racking over top of them. I will then put all the attachments and parts overtop of the tractors. Here are some pictures of the beginning stages, enjoy!

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, Alc and 13 others have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 11:11 AM

The tractors look great!

Looks like you have ALOT of space to add more tractors!!! :D

#3 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 12:35 PM

The tractors look great!

Looks like you have ALOT of space to add more tractors!!! :D

I have 3 more tractors to put in the line up, and I'd like to finish it off with a nice ride a matic before winter hits. Then I'm gonna take a break I think :smilewink:  and go through the ones I have and start cleaning them up to add to your erie county fair spread. No guarantees, but i will try to get something done!

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,168 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 12:42 PM

I do like that red 1050.  How many and to what extent was damaged by the collapsed roof?  I have been on both end of the stick with insurance on a building and it can be a real hassle.  Fortunately with mine it was just minor water damage o  a few items.  Wind took 1/3 of the roof off on one side and twisted the whole structure.  It was an old corn crib.  Finally got them to total it and put up a new steel building.  What they didn't know and I didn't tell them was the termites had been thought it about 4 times and left it in real sad condition.

#5 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,912 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 01:32 PM

Yea man nice line up, the 800 is sweet !

#6 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 02:24 PM

I do like that red 1050.  How many and to what extent was damaged by the collapsed roof?  I have been on both end of the stick with insurance on a building and it can be a real hassle.  Fortunately with mine it was just minor water damage o  a few items.  Wind took 1/3 of the roof off on one side and twisted the whole structure.  It was an old corn crib.  Finally got them to total it and put up a new steel building.  What they didn't know and I didn't tell them was the termites had been thought it about 4 times and left it in real sad condition.

Well if you look in some of the pictures behind my wife's subaru you can still see the walls standing of the old building. It had probably 2 ft of snow on it and it got warm one day, usually the snow just slides off, but this time it didn't. I went outside and heard a popping noise. I looked back and the center of the roof was sagging. I rushed down there with my tractor and loader and started to dig the snow out so I could possibly pull snow off the roof. I got to the front of the building and kaboom!! The whole roof let go! It had a ton of snow on it so it was heavy. It ruined all our lawn furniture, our new storm door I never got around to installing, some insulation I had in there for my garage, my bolens 1050 got a crushed hood, bent rototiller shield, and some general rust from sitting in the weather, my bolens mutt tractor snapped the exhaust off, bent the steering wheel, and damaged the hood hinge or something because the hood wont line up anymore. My attachments and general tube frame parts and rear ends were all stored in there, they all look undamaged, but rust has developed on them from sitting out in the weather.  My father inlaws john deere 425 suffered a cracked side panel, scratched up hood, bent seat, broken headlight lense, his steering column is loose now, and his mower deck is pretty rusty. My Bolens cab is a bit bent, the fiberglass roof chipped, but didnt crack thank god!! My dad had a Cub lowboy 185 in there and it got some rust on the hood, and cracked the front fiberglass nose off.  Several other things got dammaged, but that is all the tractor stuff i can think off. The floor in that building was shale and dirt, so I covered the whole floor with heavy plastic and thick rubber like tarps to keep the moisture out of my stuff, well when the roof went in, it served as a swiming pool for my stuff to sit in and rust. I dont know how the guy is gonna asses the stuff or compensate me for rusted and damaged bolens stuff?? I'm pretty worried I'm going to get shafted on that stuff. But 1st they have to actually come out. I pulled the roof last weekend because the whole week here showed beautiful weather. I called them monday morning 1st thing and told them I needed someone to come out last week because the roof was fully off and i didnt want anymore stuff water damaged. Well I called all week, and no one has called back to setup an appointment with me. My dad and I covered stuff the best we could with plastic and tarps last night because they called for rain today and tomorrow, and the plastic kinda caved in from water in certain places and stuff is getting wet now. No call fron them today either. I'm pretty ticked now! 

• Alc and chieffan have said thanks

#7 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 855 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 04:40 PM

Nice line up and great looking machines! You've sure got an excellent shop to store them in. :thumbs:

#8 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,168 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 08:15 AM

Brian, you mean to tell me this happened in March and no one has contacted you or showed up to look at the damage ? 

I adjusted insurance for about 5 years for our local Mutual.  I had a situation similar to this a couple times.  On one the owner did not have coverage for snow load (lower cost policy).  Only covered for falling objects.  No payment made.  On the other they had complete coverage.  Easy claim to settle. Paid the the insured amount for the building (Total loss) and also paid them the maximum policy amount for their personal property loss (less autos).  That is exactly what your company should have done.  Check your policy close to be sure you have snow load coverage.  May be listed in the exclusions. Do the same with your personal property section.  Not all companies are the same when they write up their policies.  If you find you did have coverage for snow load, call your state insurance commissioner.  Not responding when you report a claim is uncalled for and probably illegal.  Get your attorney on it also as from the sounds of it that company is in financial trouble and you probably will have to sue them if the State don't get anywhere.  Good luck on getting this taken care off.  Last but not least, find another insurance company.

Farmers Insurance do a lot of heavy advertising in this area.  Carolyn got rear ended by a young gal at a stop light.  She had Farmers.  Repairs was within a few hundred dollars of the value of the car from our local body shop, who uses the same exact software that our company does.  Our company agreed the car was totaled and would pay $2500, the resale value of the car without even looking at it.  Farmers adjuster showed up and right off the bat had an attitude problem.  He went over that car with a fine tooth comb picking out everything he could possibly find that was less than new car condition.  Had to start the engine and move it back and forth to be sure it would move on its own.  Run the AC, heater, radio CD player, wipers, power seat, etc. etc.  It had a 6 deck CD player in the trunk.  I had the trunk lid taped shut to keep the rain out as it was still our car.  He had to cut that open to take a picture of the CD deck.  On and on he went.  Got a letter from them a week later where they offered $1200 for the value of the car as they took off every little thing that the adjuster found.  Even took off $500 for dirt accumulation on the front oil pan to block joint as that "indicated heavy oil seepage".  In my book heavy oil seepage is a leak.  Our adjuster laughed when he heard that.  Sent a check out for $250 the next day to cover a child safety seat that was in the car at the time.  A week later we got a check for $2500 for the car and they had made arrangements to have the vehicle picked up.  Our adjuster called a few days late to be sure we got the check.  His comment was that Farmers was going to pay them for everything and then some, they just don't know it yet.  Grinell Mutual Re-insurance company is a lot bigger than Farmers.  Just an example of how insurance companies are supposed to work.

Edited by chieffan, September 29, 2015 - 08:47 AM.

• fonz3482 and Bruce Dorsi have said thanks

#9 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 12:21 PM

Brian, you mean to tell me this happened in March and no one has contacted you or showed up to look at the damage ? 

I adjusted insurance for about 5 years for our local Mutual.  I had a situation similar to this a couple times.  On one the owner did not have coverage for snow load (lower cost policy).  Only covered for falling objects.  No payment made.  On the other they had complete coverage.  Easy claim to settle. Paid the the insured amount for the building (Total loss) and also paid them the maximum policy amount for their personal property loss (less autos).  That is exactly what your company should have done.  Check your policy close to be sure you have snow load coverage.  May be listed in the exclusions. Do the same with your personal property section.  Not all companies are the same when they write up their policies.  If you find you did have coverage for snow load, call your state insurance commissioner.  Not responding when you report a claim is uncalled for and probably illegal.  Get your attorney on it also as from the sounds of it that company is in financial trouble and you probably will have to sue them if the State don't get anywhere.  Good luck on getting this taken care off.  Last but not least, find another insurance company.

Farmers Insurance do a lot of heavy advertising in this area.  Carolyn got rear ended by a young gal at a stop light.  She had Farmers.  Repairs was within a few hundred dollars of the value of the car from our local body shop, who uses the same exact software that our company does.  Our company agreed the car was totaled and would pay $2500, the resale value of the car without even looking at it.  Farmers adjuster showed up and right off the bat had an attitude problem.  He went over that car with a fine tooth comb picking out everything he could possibly find that was less than new car condition.  Had to start the engine and move it back and forth to be sure it would move on its own.  Run the AC, heater, radio CD player, wipers, power seat, etc. etc.  It had a 6 deck CD player in the trunk.  I had the trunk lid taped shut to keep the rain out as it was still our car.  He had to cut that open to take a picture of the CD deck.  On and on he went.  Got a letter from them a week later where they offered $1200 for the value of the car as they took off every little thing that the adjuster found.  Even took off $500 for dirt accumulation on the front oil pan to block joint as that "indicated heavy oil seepage".  In my book heavy oil seepage is a leak.  Our adjuster laughed when he heard that.  Sent a check out for $250 the next day to cover a child safety seat that was in the car at the time.  A week later we got a check for $2500 for the car and they had made arrangements to have the vehicle picked up.  Our adjuster called a few days late to be sure we got the check.  His comment was that Farmers was going to pay them for everything and then some, they just don't know it yet.  Grinell Mutual Re-insurance company is a lot bigger than Farmers.  Just an example of how insurance companies are supposed to work.

1st let me introduce myself, My names Alfonso, not sure where Brian came from, but I wish I was Brian so I could have his Bolens collection(Bolens1000) LOL!  Anyways thanks for the info. To explain this mess, its gonna be a lenghty story so sorry in advance!!

I have travelers insurance and they did come out and give an initial qoute within days of the building collapsing and gave a payout for my building damage in March. They totalled the building, and tried to pay me very little to replace it. So I called and they tried telling me the low qoute was due to depreciation. I understand if the building was an 100yr old barn and was falling apart in the 1st place, but this was a good, sealed up, solid building where I stored stuff for safe keepings that our crazy winter last year just got the best of like several other buildings and businesses in our area. Also since when do homes, buildings and properties depreciate if maintained?? They tend to increase in value. So they sent out another qoute, again it was a bit low. I then got building qoutes from 3 local contractors that would work in my area and sent it to them and told them if they had a guy to put me up a new building for what they had qouted, to send him, because this is what the only 3 contractors in the area that will travel here to work qouted me. They finally sent me the last qoute stating thats all they could pay out under my current insurance policy for the damaged structure. Contents are totally seperate and covered up to $160,000 the adjuster stated. So we called the adjuster back and told him the money still didn't cover a new building and removal of the old buildng, so in order to build something, we were goin to have to tear down and remove the old building on our own and replace it with a smaller building. We also stated that it was going to take awhile because contractors were booked through july and I wasn't going to remove the roof off the old building because it was covering alot of thing still and keeping them dry until the new building was built in another location on my property and I could move stuff as soon as they assesed the damage of the contents into and under a safe roof. So they said this was all fine and to call when the roof was off. Well it took me until about a month ago to get the building complete because between my crappy mortage company withholding my insurance money on me, and saving money from my own pocket to buy concrete and garage doors, and schedule all this stuff to get done, it took me all summer. So I then called and told them within the next few weeks I'd be working on getting the roof off and asked how long it would take for someone to come out and look at it once I pulled the roof. They said at the most 5-7 days usually. So I waited for good weather and pulled the roof off, called 1st thing monday morning 9-21-15 and left a message. No call back that day, called again 1st thing tuesday morning 9-22, no call back at 2pm. Called my insurance agent, and she said she'd handle it. My adjuster called the next morning 9-23, he said he wasn't in the area and he contacted someone that was, and they would contact me in a day or 2. I told him i pulled the roof because of the good weather, all my stuff is sitting out in the weather, and they are calling for rain next week, so someone needs to come out asap! He said you'll be hearing from the adjuster to set something up shortly. No call as of friday 9-25 so I called back once again. No answer at my adjusters # so I left a message reminding him all my stuff is out in the open, and rain was coming sunday night, someone needs to come out asap! no call by 3pm, so I called my agent again. Got her voice mail and told her the samething. No call from her. Sunday my dad and I ran to the store and grabbed a huge roll of plastic. We covered everything the best we could but I checked it monday and the wieght of the rain pulled the plastic down in the middle areas uncovering all the  stuff on the sides of the building. I called again yesterday, and today, haven't heard anything. I'm beyond ticked now!! its rained all day for the last 2 days, so everything that is out, some stuff that was undamaged butI could move because it was surronded by damaged stuff, is now wet and ruined also. I'm not sure how this is all going to play out in the end, because alot of the stuff is bolens parts, attachments, and pieces that havebeen smashed, or sitting in water and are now rusted?? Maybe someone can tell me how this will all work for repairs and replacement of my bolens items that can't be bought new no more?? Also the stuff that wasn't rusty crusty and now is due to sitting in snow and water?? Travelers even raised my homowners $231 a year in August and the claim isn't even closed yet!  I plan to finish this claim out and look elsewhere for insurance because this is ridiculous!!

• Bolens 1000 and KennyP have said thanks

#10 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,168 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 06:12 AM

Sorry about the wrong name.  I am not sure where I got Brian either.  My screw up.

It is a common practice for insurance companies to depreciate EVERYTHING, unless you have a full coverage policy.  As a rule the most they depreciate is 50%, regardless of age.  Just because you have a 30 year old building in excellent original condition that is totaled, your not going to get the price of a new building out of it - UNLESS you have a full coverage policy.  And then they will only pay what you have coverage for on that building.  Not the price of a new building.

Homes are not in the same category as your outbuildings.  You can get replacement cost on your home and personal property if it meets certain standards.  Your outbuildings are another mater.  If you want to be able to replace an old building with a new one you have to keep increasing the coverage each policy renewal.

It is the property owners responsibility to take care of his property after the loss.  PHOTOGRAPH everything in its place.  Then remove the good items to the new building and those damaged beyond repair left where the are.    Your going to have a real hard time justifying not taking care of your property because you were waiting for an adjuster to show up.  As for your items that cannot be replaced new, get a list of the items and a fair market value of each item and present that to the adjuster when/if he does show up and hope for the best.

Insurance companies seldom play fair and very few people know what coverage they actually have until they need it. When you go shopping for an insurance company, Make sure they have a local adjuster.  Many use an adjusting firm to do their adjusting for them and if a heavy work load come in they just walk on through with no big concern as they could care less.  A good company will have their own adjusters.  GEICO is a good example for a fly by night substandard company.  No agents to speak of, private adjusters and their closets rep is 3 states away.  A local Mutual may be one to look at.  When you do decide, make sure you know what coverage you are getting.

Sorry if I stepped on some toes but facts are facts.  In this area all the companies have gone to a mandatory $1k deductible for wind and hail damage.  They claim it was due to the major loss suffered in the 9-11 incident.  We are 2000 mile from that situation !  When I was adjusting we would average about 175 wind and hail damage claims a year.  At a grand a claim sure makes for good pocket money don't it.

Edited by chieffan, September 30, 2015 - 06:15 AM.

• Bruce Dorsi and Paulgo have said thanks

#11 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 10:28 AM

Sorry about the wrong name.  I am not sure where I got Brian either.  My screw up.

It is a common practice for insurance companies to depreciate EVERYTHING, unless you have a full coverage policy.  As a rule the most they depreciate is 50%, regardless of age.  Just because you have a 30 year old building in excellent original condition that is totaled, your not going to get the price of a new building out of it - UNLESS you have a full coverage policy.  And then they will only pay what you have coverage for on that building.  Not the price of a new building.

Homes are not in the same category as your outbuildings.  You can get replacement cost on your home and personal property if it meets certain standards.  Your outbuildings are another mater.  If you want to be able to replace an old building with a new one you have to keep increasing the coverage each policy renewal.

It is the property owners responsibility to take care of his property after the loss.  PHOTOGRAPH everything in its place.  Then remove the good items to the new building and those damaged beyond repair left where the are.    Your going to have a real hard time justifying not taking care of your property because you were waiting for an adjuster to show up.  As for your items that cannot be replaced new, get a list of the items and a fair market value of each item and present that to the adjuster when/if he does show up and hope for the best.

Insurance companies seldom play fair and very few people know what coverage they actually have until they need it. When you go shopping for an insurance company, Make sure they have a local adjuster.  Many use an adjusting firm to do their adjusting for them and if a heavy work load come in they just walk on through with no big concern as they could care less.  A good company will have their own adjusters.  GEICO is a good example for a fly by night substandard company.  No agents to speak of, private adjusters and their closets rep is 3 states away.  A local Mutual may be one to look at.  When you do decide, make sure you know what coverage you are getting.

Sorry if I stepped on some toes but facts are facts.  In this area all the companies have gone to a mandatory $1k deductible for wind and hail damage.  They claim it was due to the major loss suffered in the 9-11 incident.  We are 2000 mile from that situation !  When I was adjusting we would average about 175 wind and hail damage claims a year.  At a grand a claim sure makes for good pocket money don't it.

Thanks for the help! I finally recieved a call from an adjuster yesterday. He stated I had some forms to complete online before he came out. I looked at the form, and Travelers wants me to create a spread sheet that includes damaged items, serial or model#'s of the item, quanity of the item, how old the item is, price paid, replacement cost, estimated market value, price paid before tax, and attach any reciepts i have to the list and email it all to them.  Now, my issue is- Why couldn't they tell me this in the 1st place??? Like back in March??? Also I have no idea how to place values on everything in there, and I really don't have the time or internet availability(I only get 5g a mo with verizon total) to look all this stuff up. I mean its a 24'x42' building that I had packed tight for winter. There is ALOT in there!! So I called the adjuster, and we came to the agreement that I would make a list simply of the damaged items and what is damaged on the item, and thats all. So moving forward at this point. Hoping for smoother sailing to complete all this, but I doubt it!

• chieffan said thank you

#12 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,168 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 06:35 PM

Fonz, That spread sheet they are asking for is a standard insurance industry from that is used all over the country.  I had one also but it was hard copy.  When you look at your entire building and all that was damaged it will be over whelming.  You said the building was a 24 X 42 structure.  I would suggest you take photos of small areas, like 12' square, front 12' then back 12', move overdo it again.  If you can those photos on you computer where you can enlarge them and get a good look at each 12' square area it will be much easier to go through the entire building.  List the item individually first and the damage.  Don't worry about price  yet.  You mentioned a lot of items are rusting from the moisture.  Those, for the most part can be media blasted and primed.  For those items, use your best judgement as to how many hours it would take you to clean them up and then spray paint them.  Figure your labor a $15 an hour min.. Then figure the total cost of the media to clean it up.  Do not figure any that you salvage and reuse.  Once it goes out the gun it is gone, get it?  The figure how many gallons of paint and thinner it will take.  Figure strong as there will be a lot of loss due to over spray.  Then add in the wear and tear on equipment, equipment rental that you may not have, protective gear like respirator, etc.  Make it enough but don't get carried away.

Now go back to your photos again and list the items that were damaged beyond repair.  On those item use your best guess as to the current fair market value of each.  Don't worry about that BS of what you paid what it is worth before taxes, etc. etc.  That is nothing but BS they put in there to weed out the false claims.  That adjuster has better things to do than to sit down and try to figure out if you are inflating the value of a bunch of old Bolens parts.  He will look at the over all $ amount and go from there.  If he does question any single item, or group of items value, tell him to go to eBay or any other place and find that identical item with a price tag on it.  Won't happen.

If you go at that spread sheet in this method it won't be near as nerve racking.  Take you time and do it right the first time and it will boil down to what he thinks the total should be and what you think it is.  Stand you ground and let him probe you wrong on that total figure.  As an added  lever, if you know someone that does clean up and painting have them look your situation over that throw a price down on paper as what they would want to do the job.  Bet it will be at least 50% higher than what you come up with.  When the adjuster starts to argue drop that paper on him and let him know that if he want top dicker about the total cost you will use the professionals figure and we will start with that total amount .

Sorry I rambled on so long on this but hope this help you out of a hole a little bit anyway.  I learned real fast, there is absolutely nothing simple or cut and dried about insurance.  Good luck.  Rog

• KennyP and Paulgo have said thanks

#13 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 07:11 PM

Thanks Chieffan! You've been a big help with all this. I'm hopefully gonna get started this weekend if weather cooperates. I work 2nd shift this week so it's dark when I get home, and when I get up I got baby duty in the house till work.

#14 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,168 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted October 01, 2015 - 06:45 AM

Glad I could be of a little help to you Fonz.  A lot of the info they are asking for relates to the big ticket items, like for a lost home.  They want some evidence as top how old the items actually are, like the fridge, washer dryer, TV, etc.  You kind of have them over a barrel as that adjuster more than likely has no knowledge what so ever about GT's and would not know where to go look for parts or prices.  He wouldn't know a mule drive from a cats litter box. 
Good luck.