#1 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 10:37 AM

I had an old IH 184 given to me a few weeks ago and if I ever get it running(dealing with lots of rain with no shop)I thought about trying to put a 4 way dozier blade ( I have on an old parts tractor Kubota B-6100) on it.

Not sure it would be string enough to support this so I decided to ask you guys what you thought.

This is the type blade I have(this one isnt the one I have but one like it)I do believe the one I have is more heavy duty,and I am sure the supports for it mounts to the frame further back toward the rear tires.So what say you Ol tractor Gods of the North?2usgbir.jpg

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 11:17 AM

You will only know when you try it. The Cub may have trouble with snow in depths over a foot but it should handle up to there fairly well. When was the last time you had a foot of snow?

If worse comes to worse, you just take smaller cuts and make more passes. If you have a 3 ph it may be easier to rig up a rear blade. Let us know how you do. Good Luck, Rick

#3 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 11:38 AM

You will only know when you try it. The Cub may have trouble with snow in depths over a foot but it should handle up to there fairly well. When was the last time you had a foot of snow?

If worse comes to worse, you just take smaller cuts and make more passes. If you have a 3 ph it may be easier to rig up a rear blade. Let us know how you do. Good Luck, Rick

No snow here..we move dirt down this way...LOL

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 12:11 PM

And rocks----.

• Auburn David said thank you

#5 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 01:48 PM

You were asking us up North. That will be a different problem but can be handled the same way. Just do a little at a time until you find its limit. Chances are the wheels will spin before you get into too much trouble. Good Luck, Rick

#6 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 02:06 PM

You were asking us up North. That will be a different problem but can be handled the same way. Just do a little at a time until you find its limit. Chances are the wheels will spin before you get into too much trouble. Good Luck, Rick

Most folks on here are up north of me..thats why I said "you Ol tractor Gods of the North" :rolling: :rolling:

• boyscout862 said thank you

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 02:38 PM

That Kubota in pix looks "Hosed" for sure, heh!  Could have been a little neater in running those it seems. I have feeling that 184 is not going to be much of a "Dirt Worker" tractor reallyl They don't have big HP, and only 2 wheel drive. I'm not sure where a blade hangs on them, but best to find orig blade or info and see what was used on them. I'm betting real long main frame and hangers going back a ways on the tractor is the norm?? Hydraulics pretty much same as any. Is there places on tractor for running that kind of lift, or have to make it all too? I bet that other dirt moving wreck you have will have better ease of doing that type work if you get it done instead. Case was it?

#8 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 02:50 PM

The Kubota(although it has a good transmission and 4WD system)is pretty much parts..someone tried to put a V-twin on it(that would be me)and really messed up the engine cradle.Most of the Kubota was missing when I got it any way.Just trying to make use of the parts I do have.

#9 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 04:54 PM

Does the IHC have a low enough gear for this type of work? If so I would try it. I'm guessing your not going to be putting any more of a load on that blade than the Kubota did unless your planning on ramming something. It wouldn't take much to put some angle iron reinforcement on the back side of the blade top and bottom. 

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 05:21 PM

That looks like the blade on the one I saw in Colfax a few weeks ago, and was plenty beefy.
Beefy enough is always a dangerous question! Work any machine hard enough something is going to break.
I prefer to find the limits of the implement before the tractor breaks.
That has the breakaway springs and I would want them loose enough to protect the tractor.

#11 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,755 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 06:25 PM

I don't remember seeing pics of the 184 yet...................... :poke:  :poke:

#12 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 09:59 AM

I don't remember seeing pics of the 184 yet...................... :poke:  :poke:

I haven't posted any yet with all the rain.