Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Torque drive tube leak repair (PK 1618)?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 zuren OFFLINE  

zuren
  • Member No: 65629
  • 37 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted September 27, 2015 - 08:28 PM

Guys that own Jeeps have a saying - Jeeps don't leak, they just mark their territory.  My PK thinks it is a Jeep.

I have an irregular leak from the flange on the torque drive tube just below the driver's seat.  Sometimes it is an occasional drip, other times it is a tablespoon or 2 of oil.  Going up and down slopes seems to make it worse.  I would like to fix this once and for all.  What would be the best approach to get this sealed up?

I'm not thrilled by the idea of taking most, or all, of the driveline apart.

Thank you!

#2 backyardtinker OFFLINE  

backyardtinker
  • Member No: 73578
  • 249 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted September 27, 2015 - 09:24 PM

If you can pin point the leak, maybe you can JB Weld it.

#3 zuren OFFLINE  

zuren
  • 37 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted September 27, 2015 - 09:29 PM

It looks like it is the seal/gasket that is bad.

#4 backyardtinker OFFLINE  

backyardtinker
  • Member No: 73578
  • 249 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 05:05 AM

Oh I was thinking it was a pin hole in a weld or something

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 05:16 AM

The guys that really know about PK's will give you some insight , I kind of remember that your not supposed to fill the transmission to full because they will drain back and overfill the rear . Your gasket should still seal though , How fuss are you ?  If it's just the flange gasket I've used this Permatex spray sealer on a front timing cover of a International DT466E because it's such a big job for a little oil leak  

http://www.permatex....k-repair-detail

#6 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 06:58 AM

Your tranny is too full.  You're only supposed to have a small amount of fluid in it.  Trying to remember if it was a pint of half a pint.  In any case, it should be to the point where you can stick your finger through the fill hole on the side, bend it down 90 degrees and you should just touch the top of the oil.  Drain the tranny, fill with STP and you'll take care of the leak as well as a good bit of the grinding.

• Alc said thank you

#7 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,016 Thanks
  • 838 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 12:42 PM

Hi as David posted the trans is overfilled Owners Manual says 1/2 pt or 1" below the filler plug, if you have the manual its on page 19 of the manaul or 21 in PDF format.

• David Brown said thank you

#8 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 01:02 PM

There really is no bandaid repair for these leaks. Its all or nothing,,,do the deed or park it on a drip mat..

#9 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 01:04 PM

I'm not sure why they ever put a gasket in that area.  The tube runs dry.  The only time it has oil in it is when the tranny is overfilled.

• Alc said thank you

#10 zuren OFFLINE  

zuren
  • 37 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 02:26 PM

Thanks for the replies.  I need to do a full fluid replacement on everything soon.  The previous owner had filled the tranny and may have over done it.  I will do a drain and proper replacement.

What STP product specifically should i use?  I tend to be a Mobil 1 or Lucas fan but if there is something better I should get, I'm all ears.  The rear tranny rarely grinds.  The front tranny grinds if I'm not quick with my shift.

#11 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 02:54 PM

SLOW shifting, with throttle down, and once clutch is pressed, don't release till done with shifter movemnt. This is after stopping tractor guess should stay. Once clutch is out and gears moving again, even in Nuet,, it will want to grind some. Best to have tractor completely stopped to pick a gear. YOU CAN'T shift on fly like a car/truck.  Sure clutch is releasing all the way?

ON the trans, the stock ones did not have a rear seal on back bearing or front either. If oil was splashing around or too full  it could slowly leak out thru back bearing and down the tubes  and eventually back to rear-end and even the bull gears, making them ALL too full after a long time. There is only a thin paper gasket at the tube ends and it isn't much. As noted should not be much oil ere anyway.  Oil also can leak past the brake shaft seals and get on those and cause no stopping. I believe in Lucas more than STP and also don't believe in FULL STP only, but use half gear oil 80 wt, and then the Additive. 8 oz is the amount, do NOT fill till it runs out the level plug, that is too much.  Only way to open this system up IS to pull engine loose and seperate at clutch housing or end of trans by pulling engine ahead. Most tins will have to come off to do this and see the driveline also. If you get really into it, could but new bearings with sealed sides in the tranny's to keep it all in there better.  Good Luck!

Edited by glgrumpy, September 28, 2015 - 02:55 PM.

• Alc said thank you