12 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,142 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted September 27, 2015 - 07:35 PM

Need a good used preferable, or a new Walbro LMH for a Wisconsin S14D.  They have a different set up for the throttle opening set up.  I have an LMH off a Tech but it will not work on my S14D.

#2 ClassicBolens ONLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Member No: 48806
  • 946 Thanks
  • 375 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 12:56 PM

If you have a known good LHM-18 carb, you likely just need the Wisconsin part # LF146 adapter to mount it to your S14d. This was needed to mount the Walbro carbs to the Wisconsins. Usually can be bought for less than $20 new. I don't have any on hand right now. Also, the Walbro WHG-31 Carb is the replacement # for the LMH-18, so you have another option to look for.
  • chieffan said thank you

#3 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 01:28 PM

If you have a known good LHM-18 carb, you likely just need the Wisconsin part # LF146 adapter to mount it to your S14d. This was needed to mount the Walbro carbs to the Wisconsins. Usually can be bought for less than $20 new. I don't have any on hand right now. Also, the Walbro WHG-31 Carb is the replacement # for the LMH-18, so you have another option to look for.

:ditto:

Whats the model of the LMH on your tecumseh? Those adapters are only $ 12.96 new and could probably get you up and running with the tecumseh

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,142 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 06:56 PM

:ditto:

Whats the model of the LMH on your tecumseh? Those adapters are only $ 12.96 new and could probably get you up and running with the tecumseh

I just put it back on the Tech this morning so will have to get down to the machine shed and look it over.  The original on the Wisconsin has a bracket screwed to the head flange with a lever attached to operate the throttle.  Will get back to you on that.  Thanks much.

#5 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,142 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 12:10 PM

The bad carb I removed from the Wisconsin is an LMH - 18.  Both shafts are froze as well as the idle adjusting screw.

Carb-1.JPG        Carb-2.JPG

Photos are of the carb that is on the Tech engine, a 16 hp with bad coil.  The only identification I can find on it anywhere is Walbro cast in the side.  On the bottom two sides of the engine side of the carb flange are   1269 on one flat and WHG 16 B 2349 on the other flat.  Is there an adapter that will work on the good carb for my Wisconsin engine?

#6 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 03:24 PM

I would say as long as your throttle shaft is the same and the bolt holes on the carb are the same as the one on the LMH the adapter will fit

Attached Thumbnails

• 123.png

#7 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,142 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 03:42 PM

The arm on the throttle shaft is off 90°.  The arm end with the hole for the rod needs to be towards the rear.  It is to the front.  I can probably get the bracket off the old carb with the lever OK.  Have to remove the arm from the shaft and mount it 90° to the rear.  What all is included with that adapter?  The manual show the same photo you have posted but don't say what is included.

The back, dirty carb is the one off the Wisconsin.  The clean on is off the Tech.2 Carbs.JPG

The two carbs are not the same by any means.  Different location for the slow speed adjustment and that may create a problem mounting that linkage.

Edited by chieffan, September 29, 2015 - 03:51 PM.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#8 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 04:02 PM

Only thing that is the adapter is #81

Just for the fun of it I'll price a new LMH18 and see how much it is , one of the guys who parts tractors on here may have a used one pulled from a Bolens you can use maybe????

#9 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,142 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 05:26 PM

Thanks Brian.  I was hoping for a used one from the get go.

#10 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 05:42 PM

have you tried soaking the original carb in some PB blaster for a couple days to try to free it up?

#11 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,142 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted September 29, 2015 - 07:55 PM

have you tried soaking the original carb in some PB blaster for a couple days to try to free it up?

Been spraying it with PB Blaster several time a day for several days.  Arms are loose on the shaft now.

#12 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,142 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted October 13, 2015 - 12:43 PM

Put the carb in a coffee can of brake fluid and let it soak for about 5 days.  Both shafts were seized tight, just like they were when I removed the carb.  This morning I decided I was getting nowhere fast.  New carb is over $200.  Used one that needs rebuilt is $170.  NO thank you!

Cleaned the carb up and dried if off.  Measured in from the flange to the center of the shaft, both throttle and choke.  Made a small dot on the bowl side of the carb where the bottom of the two shafts should be.  Clamped the carb in a drill press vise and lined up the bit.  A bit of drilling oil and started to slowly drill an 1/8" hole through the casting to the bottom of the shaft.  With the shaft being brass I could easily see when I was at the shaft.

After both holes were drilled the carb was clamped in the bench vise.  Using a small, about a 3/32 punch and light ball pin hammer proceeded to drive the shafts out of the body.  Choke shaft came easy right off and could work it out with my fingers.  Throttle was a little tougher and had to tap on the punch  little harder to get it to move.  Once it was moving, the rest was easy.  Both shafts are out and the carb will be saved.  Will have to re-drill and tap the two holes for the throttle linkage bracket as both screws twisted off when I tried to remove them.  That will be an easy fix.  Will get a couple pictures later today.

carb-10.JPG    Carb-11.JPG   Carb-12.JPG

Holes that were drill can be filled in with JB Quick.  Just have to make sure it go to deep and get to the shaft.  I will put a small amount of oil on the ends of the shafts before I install them.  hat way is the JB does get to far in it won't stick to the shaft.  Will clean it up with denatured alcohol first to assure a good stick.  Little more anxious to get the motor out now and clean up the fly wheel and some V pulley flanges.  Going to be  while but making progress along with all the other things I need to get done yet before winter.  Picking up a pair of rear Ag bar tires Friday I latched on to for $120 for the pair.  Painted the rear rims yesterday so they should be ready for the tires by Saturday.

Edited by chieffan, October 13, 2015 - 04:45 PM.

• Bolens 1000, Alc, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#13 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,142 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted October 14, 2015 - 11:03 AM

Worked on that carb some more today.  I put a little oil on the end of the shafts with a Q-tip and inserted the shafts in the carb body clear to the bottom.  With the carb on it's top to hold the shafts' in place I filled the two holes with JB Quick and let it set for about 10 min.  Holes Filled.JPG

Then I went after re-attaching that throttle link.  After looking it over I decided to leave the two broken off screws and use them as alignment pegs.  I drilled a third hole in the bracket and drilled and tapped a matching hole in the carb body.  I used a 6-48 tap about 3/8" deep.  Cut the screw off so there is a good 3/16" of thread into the carb body.  There is no pressure on this link.  It only changes the direction of movement from the governor to the throttle.

Link Attached.JPG

I need to do some re-organizing of my storage shelves, and since I am still recovering from the 1 day flue, this might be a good day to do that.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Found