• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Hydro guy OFFLINE  

Hydro guy
  • Member No: 63243
  • 174 Thanks
  • 128 posts

Posted September 27, 2015 - 05:47 PM

We have for the past 5-6 falls gotten 1-2 bats in the garage,  They are just a nusence, they will move in this time of year or so. I will find them dead in a corner when it really gets cold  Christmas time or so.   .    I have looked numerous times and sealed up every place that I see,  but they still keep thinking that they need to move in..  Do you guys have any idea how to remove them permanently .  Any advice will be helpful.  thanks in advance,  my better half wants to by a electronic device?  is this a good option?  

Edited by Hydro guy, September 27, 2015 - 05:49 PM.

• oldedeeres and chieffan have said thanks

#2 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted September 27, 2015 - 06:25 PM

I will say from experience with the ultra sonic pest repellers they do not work. We have used everything from the 20 dollar wall plug in to these 5,000 dollar super fancy boom box looking bird-x repellers that are supposed to keep away all types of pest from deer, to birds, to rats for the span of several acres.

We have tried these at the mine substation installations to keep animals at bay. None of works. I've seen a birds sitting on the speaker for the boom box thing and move eating in the middle of the floor a few feet from the little box.

Don't waste your cash.
  • chieffan, Hydro guy and backyardtinker have said thanks

#3 Hydro guy OFFLINE  

Hydro guy
  • 174 Thanks
  • 128 posts

Posted September 27, 2015 - 06:37 PM

I will say from experience with the ultra sonic pest repellers they do not work. We have used everything from the 20 dollar wall plug in to these 5,000 dollar super fancy boom box looking bird-x repellers that are supposed to keep away all types of pest from deer, to birds, to rats for the span of several acres.

We have tried these at the mine substation installations to keep animals at bay. None of works. I've seen a birds sitting on the speaker for the boom box thing and move eating in the middle of the floor a few feet from the little box.

Don't waste your cash.

any suggestions???

• chieffan said thank you

#4 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,397 posts

Posted September 27, 2015 - 06:51 PM

I have better bat control right handed...
  • KennyP, LilysDad, chieffan and 1 other said thanks

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,511 posts

Posted September 27, 2015 - 07:23 PM

Buy or build a good bat house and put it up on the South side of a building or tree in an open area.  They will go to the bat house once they find it.  Bats are great to have around.  We have a few and have NO mosquito problem all summer.  The bats will eat over a thousand insects a night to keep your area very comfortable to live in.

• MH81, boyscout862, LilysDad and 6 others have said thanks

#6 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted September 27, 2015 - 07:26 PM

:ditto: :yeah_that: :iagree:

• boyscout862, chieffan and Hydro guy have said thanks

#7 Hydro guy OFFLINE  

Hydro guy
  • 174 Thanks
  • 128 posts

Posted September 27, 2015 - 07:34 PM

now that you mention it we do not have many skeeters at our place.     On a bat house,  got any pics or dimension of what they look like .  Can they hang in a tree or do you have to mount on a building wall .

• chieffan said thank you

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted September 27, 2015 - 07:45 PM

On a bat house,  got any pics or dimension of what they look like .  Can they hang in a tree or do you have to mount on a building wall .

Look HERE.

• MH81, Cvans, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#9 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,511 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 03:38 AM

Do a Google search for Bat House Plans and you will find several different kinds.  They say to mount them on the South side of a building, away from trees and out in the open.  I have mine on the south end of the machine shed about 6' down from the peek of the roof.  Been up a few years and don't know if it is in use or not.  Since bats are nocturnal I have not been around the bat house to watch.  I know I still have them inside the machine shed were they are welcome to stay.

Another good bird to have around is the common Barn Swallow.  We had three different nests this year on the sides of the house, one over a window, one over a door trim and the third on the down spout where it runs back to the house from the gutter to go down.  All 3 nests had 2 batches of babies of 3 & 4 each.  Sure kept the unwanted insect population under control.

• oldedeeres and Hydro guy have said thanks

#10 Yaboyhunna OFFLINE  

Yaboyhunna
  • Member No: 83269
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted June 02, 2016 - 09:47 PM

Cars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk