• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Seebo OFFLINE  

Seebo

• Member No: 2650
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted April 13, 2011 - 10:24 PM

Hi everybody, I just got my first Massey and thought this would be a good place to start!
The tractor is in good shape, with very little rust to speak of. The engine runs perfectly, starts up right away, and the deck works too.

I do have one question though; when I start to drive it up any type of hill I suddenly lose speed and the tractor stops/rolls backward. On the flat it drives fine, so I think this might be a belt issue (ie. slipping)...any input from people? Also I noticed a little bit of oil leaking out of the axle by the back right tire, are there seals in this area that may need replacing?

Thanks in advance to everyone!:smile1:

Attached Thumbnails

• Massey2.jpg
  • Massey3.jpg
  • Massey1.jpg

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted April 13, 2011 - 10:57 PM

Very nice looking tractor. It almost sounds as if you have a sticky variator pulley assembly.

First thing I'd do is check to see if they're OEM belts. If not, they won't work right. Verify the leak hasn't gotten oil on the belts. Next, after the tractor is moving, adjust the variator to the no 5 position and then turn up hill. Repeat in each position to see if there is one that works. If so, I'd bet on the center being stuck. It's a little weird that it will actually roll backwards on you. Be careful.

Download the service manual in the manuals section. Read up on the adjustment section, scratch your head and read it again. Eventually, you'll have to take off the lower dash cover and RH footrest with the rest of the Belt guards. If you have to replace the belts, buy OEM (if someone has a good sub, please tell me).

And before I forget, :welcome: to GTTalk, thanks for joining.

#3 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted April 14, 2011 - 06:09 AM

:welcome: to the forum Seebo! Glad you found us and joined in. I agree with the advice given to you. When it comes to replacing the belts anything other than original equipment will not work. With the right belts and everything adjusted correctly these tractors will really pull. Congrats on finding your Massey, it looks to be in nice shape. :thumbs:

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 14, 2011 - 06:49 AM

Seebo,:welcometogttalk:
Glad to have you with us.

Nice looking MF.

#5 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted April 14, 2011 - 07:08 AM

Nice looking tractor. And with the Deluxe muffler too.
Welcome to GTT.

Probably a dumb ?, but considering the oil leak.
Is the oil level up in the rear end?

Ditto on the belts. Buy only new from MF dealer.

#6 Seebo OFFLINE  

Seebo

• 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted April 14, 2011 - 08:57 AM

Ok, I will start by looking at the belts and the oil level in the rear end. Do you guys think that a little oil leak is much of an issue, or is that pretty common
on this tractor?

Unfortunately I won't be able to mess around with the actual tractor for another week! I'm just finishing up exams. Darn.

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 14, 2011 - 10:43 AM

Ok, I will start by looking at the belts and the oil level in the rear end. Do you guys think that a little oil leak is much of an issue, or is that pretty common
on this tractor?

Unfortunately I won't be able to mess around with the actual tractor for another week! I'm just finishing up exams. Darn.

If it isn't a huge oil leak then you can get away with putting it off for a bit. The axle seals are actually pretty easy to replace and can be had at your local John Deere dealer. I just replaced mine in my Massey 12G. You could actually do it while the rear is on the tractor too if you support it in the right places. I have a thread in the Massey forum about replacing the detent springs and balls on my tranny and have a good many pics.

It does sound like your variator pulley is stuck. There are instructions in the service manual about pulling it off and apart to clean and re-lube for proper operation. I am guessing that if you put the variator handle in the 5th position that it does better then in the #1 position. There are also shims on the rear pulley at the transmission. They can be used to tighten the tension on the rear belt. The more shims between the pulley halves the less tension and the more shims that are on the outside of the pulley the tighter the belt tension.

#8 Seebo OFFLINE  

Seebo

• 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted April 14, 2011 - 11:06 AM

Thanks to everyone for the input! I will let you know how it goes, and of course, take a whole bunch of pictures along the way!

#9 drripley OFFLINE  

drripley

• Member No: 2821
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted April 19, 2011 - 06:15 AM

Nice looking tractor!