Made up some hoses , repaired steel tube on the Ford

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted October 08, 2015 - 10:16 AM

A PROPERLY welded hydraulic line should be no trouble at all! As stated, the filler material has a high enough tensile strength to hold hydraulic pressures, as long as the base tube still is structurally sound aside from the weld and "if the weld has good penetration".

Let me stress that I am NOT making comments about Alc's welding proficiency, nor do I mean to cast dispersions on his ability to create good welds! This is more a warning in general about MIG welding and why some folks "worry" about welding pressure lines...

Welding 101 - A good weld joint requires melting of the base metal (or metals where 2 pieces are joined together) as well as the filler material. The PENETRATION, or depth that the base metal melts, has to be deep enough that the base/filler intermix and become one material. If only the filler melts, that is soldering - resulting in a much weaker joint.

With MIG being an automated process (wire feed into the weld arc), it is possible (actually pretty easy...) to create decent LOOKING welds that don't have good penetration. No offense to anyone, but a trained monkey can press a button and slather on weld wire! It takes understanding the machine, using proper settings, practice and some skill to make good welds, even with a MIG! If you cut open a good weld joint, you would see where the process ate into the base metal and deposited the filler, where bad joint cross-sections have no penetration. This is true of ALL weld processes, but much easier to mess up with an automated process like MIG.

Torch, TIG, and to some extent, stick welding are manual processes that allow you to ensure you have good base metal penetration BEFORE you add filler, so while they are harder to learn (?!?!?), they are more reliable in less skilled hands.

MIG gets a bad rap because many of us have seen "good looking" welds that failed because of poor penetration. And because it's so easy to make decent LOOKING welds with a MIG, and the equipment is reasonably priced and easy to get, so anybody can "weld".
  • MH81, Alc, Bruce Dorsi and 1 other said thanks

#17 toppop52 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 54420
  • 3,212 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted October 08, 2015 - 07:59 PM

I actually found stick/arc welding, easier to learn than mig. Brazing came naturally to me and torch welding was a method I used for years before buying a buzz box. Now I almost always mig or even flux wire weld, just because it's easier to grab it and go.
  • MH81, Alc and dodge trucker have said thanks