#1 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted September 26, 2015 - 07:26 PM

is not what I call fun but this year ...... well this let's just say has been strange in a busy way. Our garden received a gross lack of attention due to us being away from home and not here to tend to it. I have several projects sitting in both garages and just have not had time to get to them. Now it's hunting season and we are still behind here at " Goofy Acres ".  We will not have enough time to get all done this month and will not be home to do so until the second week of October. I have managed to get the lawn mowed and tidied up but just can't get time enough to finish those projects. Next year will be better as far as busy because we already know we have a lot going on next year so we will work hard this winter to get most of the projects done and not start any more new ones ...... " Ya right". Hope your summer and fall are going great. Take care and stay safe.                                                              Roger

• KennyP, Cvans, tiretrx and 5 others have said thanks

#2 backyardtinker OFFLINE  

backyardtinker
  • Member No: 73578
  • 249 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted September 26, 2015 - 07:32 PM

It has been a very busy year for me here as well. Won't get everything done this year I wanted to but we made a pretty good dent. Next year shaping up to be a busy one too but maybe not quite as busy as this year has been. Good luck with getting everything done that needs doin'

• hamman and classic have said thanks

#3 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted September 26, 2015 - 07:50 PM

Yeah it stinks days are getting short.
It's the mad dash to get parts prepped and painted and engines ready for rebuilds over the winter.

#4 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted September 26, 2015 - 08:16 PM

Fall came quick this year for some reason. I try not to put a time frame on the tractor rebuilds or it turns into a job instead of a hobby. I thought that I would be further along with what I'm working on at this point, but other things have been keeping me too busy. The main thing is to just stick with it and enjoy the hobby. The projects will get done if you want them done bad enough, and the end result will be worth it with patients. I plowed the garden this past spring and now it's ready for it's second cutting with the sickle bar. Never got to planting anything. My desire was with the tractor projects, so maybe I'll get to planting a garden next year. Firewood is a must have, so I'm gearing up for that and plowing snow....and working on the tractor projects.
  • hamman said thank you

#5 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,686 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted September 26, 2015 - 08:24 PM

You know, this only gets worse as time goes on. The old timers among us will testify to what I'm saying.

• hamman, JDBrian, WNYTractorTinkerer and 2 others have said thanks

#6 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted September 26, 2015 - 08:30 PM

I feel ya. This year has been my most stressful one yet for me. With the job market, lay offs at my work, and the continued threat of lay offs for us left.

My garden was planted but it all died off as my wife didn't have time to water and weed in the evening and I'm not home enough. I think I got 6 tomatoes and 4 peppers off all the plants I put in the ground. I even "seed started" all my plants this year. I was proud that I had so many plants I started from scratch.

I only worked on tractors as repairs to cut grass....

Now it's dark at 730ish.

I did complete a lot of projects for other people. 93 sheets of drywall hung and finished at a friends 2 story pole barn was the biggest. Plus a slew of side jobs I got paid for. Made a good bit of side money this year.

Put a lid on this year, its over. It'll be snowing before long. But on the bright side 6 months or so it will be spring again.

But all in all this has been a good year. Celebrated my sons first birthday. Little girl started school and will have her 6th birthday in November. Me and my wife will celebrate our 3rd wedding anniversary. If we'd stop arguing about her wanting a 3rd baby things would be better on that front.

Lilysdad you couldn't be more right. Every year I get older time goes so fast. I swear I can blink and its 3 months later...I'm scared to think how fast time will go when I'm older than 31. I've thought more and more about what i want to spend the second half of my life doing. I've wasted probably 28 years of my life already on nothing.

Edited by toomanytoys84, September 26, 2015 - 08:33 PM.

#7 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted September 26, 2015 - 09:23 PM

every year I wind up working the summer away and say "next summer will be better, take more time to enjoy life "  and so on. so far I have not been able to fulfill that wish.

Pete

#8 tiretrx ONLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 938 Thanks
  • 686 posts

Posted September 26, 2015 - 09:24 PM

I think it's a pretty rare person that gets it "all" done, Roger. Well, ones that do their own work any way. My lawn/landscaping was pretty poor this year. And the garden was largely in pots this year. But got a lot done with my buildings and storage though. I try to take the baseball analogy and "wait till next year!" You're not alone  :thumbs:

• hamman said thank you

#9 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted September 26, 2015 - 09:54 PM

Yep older, and not as fun anymore. Gettin' out because of that. Now been doing House improvements and even That is harder for older guy. JuSt go with the flow, do what you can, just slower speed now. Have to pick Prioritys now, important stuff first.
  • hamman, DennyIN and classic have said thanks

#10 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted September 26, 2015 - 10:48 PM

If you get it all done you don't have enough on your plate. 

#11 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,446 Thanks
  • 3,995 posts

Posted September 27, 2015 - 03:11 AM

I see this problem coming, too. As a retired, you'll have no time for your hobbies... :biting_nails:

• Mr Electrak and hamman have said thanks

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 27, 2015 - 06:07 AM

Busy year here as well. Got too much on the go and I only work 2 days a week now. Have my major project for the year, a new shed/workshop almost done. Doing drywall now and will have heat and lights in there just in time for the colder weather. Cost much more than I thought and sucked up all my free time since June. I hope to get out there and get a few projects done this winter. 

• hamman said thank you

#13 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted September 27, 2015 - 01:33 PM

Like right now. I have to replace the floor in my 2004 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax ..... Ya it's rotted out. Wasn't going to do it but nearly put my foot thru the floor yesterday. Almost done and I broke the last drill bit I had that would work so the wife had to run to town to get some more 1/8 and 7/64 " bits. This took us away from other projects but it has to get done. I have written a complaint to GM on this. I have a 1992 Silverado 1/2 ton and a 1993 Silverado 1/2 ton both have over 320,000 ,miles on them and the floors are still solid. Must have used Chinese steel for the floors.  Well she's back, and it's back to work for me. I feel embarrassed to leave my hobby of GTs and let them set. Maybe after the first of the month things will slow down enough to get them out for fall pictures and cleaning. Have a great day every one and thanks.                                                                                                                                           Roger

• classic said thank you

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted September 27, 2015 - 03:23 PM

GT's have all but been forgotten here except to use them for needed jobs.  And a busy year is a major understatement.  Priorities have to be made, and as much as I love my GT's, they are a distance away in my list of priorities.  About all I can do GT wise is talk about them.   :(

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you