• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 13, 2011 - 08:22 PM

If you do what saws do you have? I would almost bet that over 80% of our members would own a chainsaw or two. What I find funny is chainsaws are almost as addicting as garden tractors.

Right now I only have two of them. I would like to get one more which would be at least a 70cc. So far I have a Stihl MS362 and a Dolmar PS401. We have plans of getting an outside wood burner and burning around 10 cord of wood a year. Last year we went and got a lot of wood for free but we did a lot of driving and hauling for it. Decided that it wasn't worth it with how much fuel and wear and tear on the truck and trailer so we are going to start having logs delivered and I will buck and split it myself.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted April 13, 2011 - 08:31 PM

I have 2, a small 18" Craftsman (Poulan I believe), and a 20" Husqvarna. The Husky is out of commission due to carb trouble, and today I cut up a tree that root-wadded onto a fence & just got finished as it started leaning out also. Gotta get both up to snuff soon.

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted April 13, 2011 - 08:41 PM

I have quite a few saws laying around.
Off the top of my head I have some Stihl's ,a Lombard, Homelite, John Deere , Echo and A bunch of McCulloch's I probably have more that I just forgot about LOL

My main 2 that I use are my Echo CS440 and my Mini Mac to trim branches

#4 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted April 13, 2011 - 09:17 PM

My "using" saw is a 029 Farm Boss Stihl w/16" bar that I bought new several years ago.

The only other saw I've owned I still have. It is a 1010 McCulloch w/16 & 20" bars. I've been trying to sell it, but it seems nobody wants an obsolete chain saw! :rolleyes:

Oops, forgot about my Poulan pole saw, bought it for one project because I couldn't justify a "good" one, still use it for occasional trimming. ~~ grnspot

Then there's the Remington electric chain saw in the shed too! It has it's place, sometimes.

#5 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted April 13, 2011 - 10:07 PM

Well off hand 017 stihl, 031av (thats my old standby), 290 sthil, 18 in Craftsman, Homelite??? there has to be 1 I'm missing, and the Craftmans Electric. Almost to LAZY to use any of them.

#6 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted April 13, 2011 - 10:35 PM

I like my stihl's , got some polans, a homelite, and a mac. but my favorite is the Case Davis, hey it has a cutting chain and saws through tree roots. for a little bit anyway lol . Shawn

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted April 13, 2011 - 10:45 PM

McCullough electric for anything close to the house. MiniMac 25 (curb rescue) for anything outside the reach of an extension cord.

I used to have a Homelite, but hurt my shoulder throwing the piece of garbage when it wouldn't start. That thing was the worst chainsaw EVER.

Dad always had Pioneer 550 & 650's until the parts became unavailable. He still has a couple of engines around somewhere.

#8 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted April 13, 2011 - 11:31 PM

I have a 16" Dolmar PS401 and an electric Poulan. I like both of them a lot!

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 14, 2011 - 05:24 AM

I have a 16" Dolmar PS401 and an electric Poulan. I like both of them a lot!

That's the model number I was trying to remember, the PS401. I wrote it as being PS140. It's been a while since I had the saws out. We have about 5 trees that need to come down before they start blooming too much. I really like the little Dolmar, for a little 40cc saw she does pretty good.

#10 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted April 14, 2011 - 07:36 AM

I have a Stihl 290 farm boss with a 18" bar and love it. It can be a little heavy at times (like when up in a tree) but the power is worth it.

#11 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1337
  • 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted April 14, 2011 - 12:01 PM

I have a Husqvarna 55 and a little Echo for limbing/arborist type work. At our old house we burned aroun 4 to 6 cord/year. I always got my wood "free". Our new home is oil-fired radiant floor heat; this is when oil was reasonable. We are looking at getting a wood boiler this year as well. Like you George, I'll probably get a load of logs delivered, at least to start. I usually cut a couple/three cord each year just to remove the trees that have encroached onto my fields. By the time I make my way all around the trees where I frist started should be ready again!

#12 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted April 14, 2011 - 07:39 PM

Had a nice Husky until the house was broken into and it left along with quite a few other tools. Now have a Poulan Wild Thing with 18" bar, that does OK for an inexpensive saw.
I'd like to find an older Homelite XL just to have as an extra small light limbing saw. Sold an old David Bradley and a big Mall last fall at an engine show. They were really collector saws although both worked. Just didn't want to store them anymore needed tractor space.

#13 tex tractor jack OFFLINE  

tex tractor jack

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1854
  • 41 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted April 14, 2011 - 07:46 PM

Got a Husky that I really like, a Poulan with the long extension for reaching for limbs and a Mac in a box.

#14 RustyTub OFFLINE  

RustyTub

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2702
  • 25 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted April 15, 2011 - 06:54 PM

I have a few saws, we burn wood as our main heat source so I always am cutting wood. My main saw that does most the work is my Sthil MS440 Magnum it is outfitted with either a 20" bar or a 24" bar ready to go for it. My Back up saw is a Sthil MS 210 it runs a 20" bar I use this for limbing and quick work cause it is the lightest. For large heavy work I use an ex race saw which is a Mac pro610 it was MFG in 1971 I modified it to run the sthil bars and it is setup with a 32" bar for falling and big stuff. Then the back up for all the back ups is an 80's vintage mac pro 810 with a 20" bar. I have a bunch of parts saws all Sthils AV's and what not.

Last year I bought a chain sharpener from a old tree faller and I now sharpen all my own chains and during Firewood season I sharpen friends chains for 2 dollars each to pay for the stones and beer. I also have a smaller electric chain sharpener I made a base for it and it mounts on the bumper of my truck. When we are in the woods cutting and I tend to make enough off sharpening chains in the woods for guys to pay for my day of wood getting.

#15 Tinkerer OFFLINE  

Tinkerer

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 259
  • 18 Thanks
  • 200 posts

Posted April 15, 2011 - 09:25 PM

I am not sure which is bigger now , my chainsaw collection or my GT collection. I actually started collecting chainsaws before GT's. Where to begin. I have a Jonsered 80, Jonsered 621, Jonsered 49sp(needs repair), Jonsered 2050 Turbo, Jonsered 2036, Makita DCS520i(it is actually made by Dolmar), Stihl 012AVEQS, Wen electric, Tanaka ECS-415, Craftsman 2.6 cu. in. 18" bar, Homelite Ranger 16", Homelite Super EZ Automatic, Homelite XL, Lil Jon(seized up from lack of use), McCulloch Pro Mac 610, Husqvarna 142(needs repair), Homelite 330(needs repair), Olympik 950F Super(needs repair), Echo (needs repair), Homelite Ranger 33 cc(parts machine), Homelite 240(needs repair) and Partner. I can't locate the Partner or Echo right now to get the model numbers(they are buried in the shed). Of all the saws listed above I like the Jonsered 621, the Makita DCS520i and the Homelite Super EZ Automatic. Out of my collection I have only purchased the Jonsered 621 and I got that one from a small engine shop for $25 with an almost new chain and bar. The rest of the saws have been given to me because people just don't want to fix them. The GT collection takes up more space than the chainsaws. I heat with wood during the winter and I also help my FIL cut his wood and also my wife's grandfathers.