• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 kscheuring OFFLINE  

kscheuring

• Member No: 4159
  • 4 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted September 25, 2015 - 11:32 PM

I have been having a problem lately with my 110 clutch.  When I press it down and let it go again, sometimes the pedal will only come up to the "slow" speed position or in otherwords it only comes up half as much as it should.  Sometimes it will come up all the way but when it doesn't, the only thing I can do is physically pull the pedal up and then it works fine though sometimes it creeps back down.  I have replaced the primary and secondary belts, taken the variator off and verified that the center sheave is moving fine, I also confirmed that the variator will pivot properly when not connected to the linkage.  There is nothing bent as far as I can see and everything is greased properly.  Does anybody have any ideas because I am completely stumped.  Oh, before you ask, I did confirm that the variator is adjusted properly.  Thank you for any help you can give.

#2 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted September 26, 2015 - 06:58 AM

Variator needs lubricated.  I use spray graphite from Napa and it works great.  What kind of grease is on it?

Edited by Trav1s, September 26, 2015 - 06:59 AM.

• kscheuring said thank you

#3 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted September 26, 2015 - 09:40 AM

Replace the variator spring and you'll be good to go. These springs start to stretch over time and it will cause the problems that you are having. 

#4 kscheuring OFFLINE  

kscheuring

• 4 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted September 26, 2015 - 01:23 PM

Trav1s, when you say the variator needs lubricating, where exactly do you lubricate it? I've already put grease in the fitting and it came out where it should.  Is there someplace else you would recommend to lubricate it?

#5 kscheuring OFFLINE  

kscheuring

• 4 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted September 26, 2015 - 01:27 PM

Johndeereelfman, which spring are you talking about? The only spring I know of is the one I have to remove to take the variator out. Is that the one?  When I go to put it back on, it seems to have alot of tension but I know that from what you are saying it may not be enough. Is that true?  A spring is certainly an easy fix.

#6 kscheuring OFFLINE  

kscheuring

• 4 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted September 26, 2015 - 01:30 PM

Trav1s, I forgot to tell you that the grease I used is what my JD dealer recommended.  I was already there so I bought a tube.

#7 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted September 26, 2015 - 08:51 PM

Johndeereelfman, which spring are you talking about? The only spring I know of is the one I have to remove to take the variator out. Is that the one?  When I go to put it back on, it seems to have alot of tension but I know that from what you are saying it may not be enough. Is that true?  A spring is certainly an easy fix.

Yes, that is the spring that I'm referring to. They will feel as though there is enough tension, however when you install the new spring, you'll see that the old spring doesn't compare to the new one. The spring is roughly 1 1/2" in diameter, one end hooks to the variator, and the other usually hooks to the frame, just to the right of the shifter. Just be careful when replacing it, as they can be very stubborn to reinstall. 

#8 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted September 27, 2015 - 07:59 AM

Trav1s, when you say the variator needs lubricating, where exactly do you lubricate it? I've already put grease in the fitting and it came out where it should.  Is there someplace else you would recommend to lubricate it?

I don't know the late machines that well but I am guessing the point that you greased is the pivot point on the frame - #28 in the attached diagram.  My post was to the shaft on which the center pulley of the variator moves. I am guessing this diagram is the right version without a serial number.  The piece I am referencing is is 29 in the attached diagram. 

Attached Thumbnails

• MP3171_________UN01JAN94-2.gif

#9 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,746 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted September 27, 2015 - 10:25 PM

did you grease the pivot bolt #2 in the picture Travis posted.

Do not over tighten the pivot bolt.

You might have to loosen the pivot bolt a little.

Had that problem on one of my 200 series GT.

I over tighten it and the variator would not move.

#10 kscheuring OFFLINE  

kscheuring

• 4 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 06:58 PM

Lyall, I did not grease the bolt, I didn't see anything that suggested I should. I did grease the pivot which looks like #5 in the picture. I'll loosen the bolt a little and see what happens.

Trav1s, my serial number is 320894. If I put the spray graphite where you are talking about, won't it get on the belts and if it does will it cause a problem? I just ordered the spring today and it should be in on Wednesday. Hopefully by the weekend I'll be able to get it installed and see if that helps too.

Thanks so much everybody for all of the great suggestions. I'll post an update when I have it.

#11 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,746 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 07:37 PM

if you use the powdered graphic you will be okay.

I use it on all my 200's (4 of them)  and 110.

using the spray can graphic, the oil can get on the belts and may cause a little slippage.

#12 kscheuring OFFLINE  

kscheuring

• 4 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted November 22, 2015 - 10:47 AM

Sorry for not updating sooner than this. I did replace the spring and put graphite where suggested. The pedal will still not come up all the way sometimes, and sometimes when I am using it the pedal will come up and I run at full speed. Anyone else have any ideas? I am completely stumped.

#13 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,746 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted November 22, 2015 - 08:23 PM

You might have to remove the variator and clean the bolt and where the bolt goes thru the variator arm.

After years of usage the bolt get rusty and it does not allow the variator arm to swing easily.

#14 kscheuring OFFLINE  

kscheuring

• 4 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted November 23, 2015 - 08:04 PM

Lyall, when I've had the belts off and the spring disconnected, the variator swings easily.  When I put it back together and start then engine, I can move the variator lever all I want and the variator never pivots.  Not sure if it has to actually be driving in order for it to pivot, but standing still it will not.  I tell you, this thing is a son of a gun and is trying to keep me up nights just trying to find another angle to solve the problem.  Any ideas now cause I'm clean out of them.