Garden Tractor Forums banner

Zagray in Colchester, CT is 3 & 4 OCT15

2K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  tiretrx 
#1 ·
I plan to go and bring my trailer this time. I'm still kicking myself for not getting the Simplicity 700 last time. Good Luck, Rick

#11 ·
What else is there to do around town? If the weather turns bad, then I'm going to be on a date with little to do on Saturday.

Anyone have any indoor activities you could suggest? She's an engineer, so history, buildings, machines, museums, etc would work.

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
What else is there to do around town? If the weather turns bad, then I'm going to be on a date with little to do on Saturday.

Anyone have any indoor activities you could suggest? She's an engineer, so history, buildings, machines, museums, etc would work.
If she's into antiques etc. there's plenty of nice places. A bit aways, but a real nice antique mall, is one on main street in Clinton. Nice little town also. To the east of that, forgot the town, is the Trove. Also an antique mall. Both have a lot of cool stuff, big variety and fair prices. I picked up an antique Vom Hofe matched pair rod/reel in Clinton last trip for $25. You can get directions to both on the interweb. Maybe I'll see you there :wave:

Also, there's always Mystic Seaport/Aquarium. The seaport is rich in history. Also an artisian village adjacent.

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)

How far are you from the US Navy CB museum in Quansett Point? There is the Nuatilus Museum at the Subbase in Groton. There is indoor machine tool displays at Zagray. UCONN(1/2 an hour from Zagray) has a Natural History Museum and a great ice cream bar. There is aslo the Museum behind Foxwoods. The cradle of US industrialization was in RI along the BLack(something) river where I believe there are a few museums. RI and Eastern CT are loaded with little historic displays that are outdoors. Check the state tourist guides on line. Good Luck, Rick

What kind of engineer? I was civil and military.

#15 ·
I'm not sure if I'm going because of the weather. I'll decide tommorrow morning. If you go, be very aware that the parking area to the left when you come in, gets very muddy. Many cars got stuck in there last year. If it is too wet, I will try to go to the meeting of the Nutmeg Prospectors tomorrow afternoon. It is fun to prospect for gold and semiprecious stones when you want to escape "normal life". Good Luck, Rick

#16 ·
At 0800 hrs it is still raining and very windy here. I had a long day at the VA yesterday so, I overslept this morning. I won't even try Zagray but I will spend some time on a GT in the basement and run some shopping errands. Next Sunday is a Swap Meet in Brooklyn, CT. Good Luck, Rick

#21 ·
The wife and I got there a bit late, but from what I heard the turn out was slim. I bought a Model A brake pedal to put in stock. Even though it was quiet, we had a great time watching the vintage clams, cranes and drag buckets at work. I got some pics and some vids of that to share after I transfer them. Got to watch the saw mill in action. Also met some real nice folks. One member, Bob, gave us the farm/club history. Also showed us pics of his stretched '68 Cub Cadet. He had the pic on a business card. Very nice man! Another gentlemen had a homemade GT that he fashioned off a Panzer from parts he had laying around. Loved that thing!

We're staying over and hitting the show again tomorrow. Hopefully, the weather is a bit better :thumbs:

#22 ·
Weather and turnout a LOT better today. Got a couple neat items, including an old wicker/leather seat that I think would look nice on the LoBoy Custom we're building. A nice Farmall grill. I'm thinking from an H, but that's just a best guess. Some old Tonkas from the 50's - 60's.

Couple pics of stuff that looked cool to us.

This is the gentleman, Bob, that I mentioned earlier driving. He said it was rusting away outside for years before the club redid it. I never laid eyes on a Case Tractor KIng before, but it was as impressive a machine as I've ever seen. What a beast!

IMG_0241_zps2qhmo6pg.jpg

Couple nice Fergies.

IMG_0257_zps6zb46ly7.jpg

IMG_0234_zpsrrehpyum.jpg

This is Joseph. Just met him. We tried troubleshooting his Custom 6 engine problems. Very nice young man.

IMG_0233_zpsvxu2cvp8.jpg

I spent a long time watching these machines in action.

IMG_0216_zpsho8unqqx.jpg

Never got to talk to the owner of this. Don't know what make. Toro? Worthington? Anyone know?

IMG_0202_zpsa5e7dwfm.jpg

Really liked this one. I talked to the gentleman who built it from stuff laying around...........50 years ago. He said he had updated the engine at some point.

IMG_0194_zpsovcblyr6.jpg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.