• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,462 Thanks
  • 1,608 posts

Posted September 25, 2015 - 01:17 PM

I picked up this Gardner that was headed to scrap when I went to pick up a Baird Beaver tractor that I found on Craigslist. The engine turned over and there were some implements laying outside with it. The magneto wouldn't spark, so I changed out the coil and condenser with some spares that I had. I cleaned the points and got great spark. There was almost no compression, so I pulled the head and cleaned the valves and seats. I poured a little oil down the valve stems and oiled the cylinder. I put the head back on, cleaned out the fuel sediment bowl, and put some fuel in the tank which was clean. When the engine started, it shot rust flakes out of the exhaust pipe like confetti. The engine stayed running, so I let it warm up a adjusted the carb a little. I engaged the cone clutches and it walked along just fine. I disengaged the cone clutches and it kept walking since the clutches stuck, HA! I had to pull the plug wire to stop the darn thing, but once I clean the clutches and lube everything, it should be fine. The kill switch is disconnected and I'll be hooking that back up before the next trial run, or walk I guess. This is the first walk behind that I've messed with and I like it. The engine is a Wisconsin AB from 1949, so I guess that's when the machine is from.

• Bolens 1000, earthgrinder, DougT and 6 others have said thanks

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,163 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted September 25, 2015 - 02:02 PM

Don't park it with the clutches engaged or they will stick again.  When you get to the final adjustments be sure that both clutches engage at the same time and you can do that with one hand.  They can be a beast if they don't engage properly.  Good luck with you new toy.

• classic said thank you

#3 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,462 Thanks
  • 1,608 posts

Posted September 25, 2015 - 02:05 PM

Thanks for the advice chieffan. This sat outside since spring, so it will take some tinkering to get it back in shape.

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,699 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted September 25, 2015 - 04:19 PM

Great Save!!

Its a shame someone would even think of scrap something like that!!!!

• classic said thank you

#5 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,462 Thanks
  • 1,608 posts

Posted September 25, 2015 - 04:56 PM

There was no interest in the tractors by the previous owners since they had no use for them. They were basically taking up space, in need of repair, and served their purpose many years ago. Some people get overwhelmed with the clutter and just move it outside when inside space is needed. They saw hope for the Beaver tractor, so they listed it for sale, but with the tires rotting off the Bolens, they figured it was only good for scrap. My plans were to pick it up for parts until I gave it a better going over. Since everything seems functional and it's pretty much complete, minus the oil bath air filter bowl, I will restore it. I'll get the clutches working and adjusted and freshen up the sickle mower. I gotta try this machine out!

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150920_190730-1.jpg

• Gtractor and LPBolens have said thanks

#6 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,656 Thanks
  • 7,681 posts

Posted September 25, 2015 - 07:42 PM

Apparently the Gardeners came with various different engines.