Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone familiar with motorcycle charging systems?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted September 25, 2015 - 11:41 AM

Okay, I ask as I have an issue with my Sears going through regulators, 20amp, both cheapos and high priced. The one I just burnt up was actually a higher priced one, it lasted about 2 hrs and burnt up( was using lights) . I have checked the stator and wiring everything is putting out according to specs. The tractor has been converted to battery-coil so I have to have a good charging system to be able to use tractor. I know the headlights put a draw on system and when my winch goes on, it gets really worked ( thinking of putting alternator back on with extra battery for winch). I am not sure it's just not properly heat shielded ( mounting in original location) or just to much draw or what.

I was told once I could use a regulator off a motorcycle as they are similar, but the motorcycle ones are built heavier duty, also go up to 22 amps. I have looked for some, cheapest they come is about $50 where I can buy the Onan regulators from $14-50.

I am just wondering if the motorcycle ones work like the tractors, AC/B+/AC? Wondering if it's worth the cost to buy one and try it versus buying these others that only last 6-8 months or 2 hrs like the last one.

• Alc said thank you

#2 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted September 25, 2015 - 03:47 PM

For what it's worth, I thought I had a bad regulator on Old Girl, so I ordered a new one. Had issues with it too until I ran a ground wire from the regulator mounting bolt to the frame ground point. Both regulators work fine now.

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#3 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted September 26, 2015 - 07:59 AM

Yea did that early on Larry. I think I have a heat sink issue and my accessories pull some amps. I also had a battery issue recently which could have led to this last one burning up quick.

#4 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted September 26, 2015 - 09:07 AM

Do you think a larger heat sink and compound would help. These can be found in broken PC's.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1140119.JPG

• Alc said thank you

#5 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted September 26, 2015 - 02:29 PM

An MC regulator would probably work, maybe off one of the big touring bikes that have a lot of accessories.  But you can easily over load an MC one pretty easy.  If you are burning up regulators I would suspect something else going on.  How do you have the winch wired in?  Maybe see if you can get a draw on what kind of amps that is being pulled on the tractor would help.  As You mentioned MC regulators aren't cheap.  Also just food for thought,  most of the bikes lately all have their regulators mounted on the front of the frame hanging out in the wind so that may be something to consider if you think it may be thermal.

• TAHOE said thank you

#6 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted September 26, 2015 - 09:19 PM

I only run the winch mainly in winter with snow blade, sometimes I use my dump bucket. I do know when I hit the button, initiaL draw is pushing the 20 amp limit as ammeter jumps. The add the lights and I know I am overloading. Thinking a LEDs for light fix.
This last one, I was using it, regulster was almost too hot to touch, then after running with lights for about 20 mins, regulator blew. I was thinking of making a new mount and find a small 12v cooling fan to mount over it to maybe at least help with heat issue.

#7 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted September 27, 2015 - 04:44 AM

I would add a decent heat sink for the regulator, like I pictured above, and don't forget the compound. I think you will be disappointed with LED's unless you get the high dollar ones. The 4" $39.95 lights I put on Old Girl is only about 1/4 the light output that the sealed beams had. If your amp meter jumps when the winch is used, then it is not connected direct to the battery. This may not help the over heat issue, it just sounds like you are pulling too much power from the regulator. There were some discussions in another thread about using a separate battery for the winch function. 

#8 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted September 27, 2015 - 02:40 PM

If you are going to a heavy duty alternator, go to an automotive regulator, if you can find one, they used to be cheap as nuts.

#9 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 27, 2015 - 03:40 PM

I'd go with a small internally regulated alternator and never have to worry about power usage.  They aren't but the size of your fist & put out 45 to 70 amp depending on which one you buy.

#10 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 08:20 AM

I would add a decent heat sink for the regulator, like I pictured above, and don't forget the compound. I think you will be disappointed with LED's unless you get the high dollar ones. The 4" $39.95 lights I put on Old Girl is only about 1/4 the light output that the sealed beams had. If your amp meter jumps when the winch is used, then it is not connected direct to the battery. This may not help the over heat issue, it just sounds like you are pulling too much power from the regulator. There were some discussions in another thread about using a separate battery for the winch function. 

Larry, main power wires from winch are directly on the battery, I just thinks the initial draw pulls a ton of amps. Meter will almost peg, then immediately drop. Even though I have the 20 amp system, the winch maybe over drawing system with a couple hours of constant up/down plowing snow.

As far as the LED's, I don't need to light up the woods. If I can see 15' in front of me, I will be fine. I have some cheapy LED's may temp rig them up and see if I like. If not, will have to look for better ones.

If you are going to a heavy duty alternator, go to an automotive regulator, if you can find one, they used to be cheap as nuts.

I wondered if there was external auto regulators I can use. I figured there was from the older non internal alternators.

I'd go with a small internally regulated alternator and never have to worry about power usage.  They aren't but the size of your fist & put out 45 to 70 amp depending on which one you buy.

I have a std alternator from an old Camaro I used to use. Bad part was, it would boil my battery after some time. I thought maybe battery was too small ( 360 amp) but it still should not have done it. Maybe I can get it ( or the other 3 I have lying there) and make sure it's properly putting out correct amps or get another auto one and add it in the line and see if it helps. I dunno.

Battery finally went caput after 4 yrs of beating it up so need to get the biggest one I can right now, maybe that will help also.

#11 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 11:40 AM

Sounds like the Camaro alternator had a faulty regulator.  The alternator should only put out enough to carry the load and maintain the battery.

• TAHOE said thank you