Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted September 25, 2015 - 05:52 AM

I've had my Ford 3400 utility tractor for at least 25 years , , used it a lot at first then once I got the PK/fel  it was only used when I needed the backhoe or very large jobs with the fel . . The last job was when I added on to my pole barn then I parked in the garden that fall , around 15 years ago . it sat there until I wanted to use that garden space again about 5 years later  . It took a bit to get going , maybe a couple of hours , Moved it about 50' to get it out of the way , shut it off then the next time no-start , so for the last 10 years I would go out there ones or twice a year , drag a battery , starting fluid you name it , it seemed like every electrical problem there is was it had  lol , ignition sw. starter solenoid , bad grounds , even with new points pugs condenser , couldn't get it to spin fast enough to get anything more then a "pop" once or twice . I would get so  frustrate that would it sit   for another long time  My wife has been a pretty good sport about it , I even had a guy come over to buy it ,what I told him was  " non running parts tractor"  he walked around picking it apart  telling me at least 3 times he would take if for FREE , I finally said that before I would give it away I would give it to my son for scrap . Wed. night when I got home from work I asked my wife what she wanted to do , she said get that yellow tractor running . OK this time I was going to try a different approach , found a set of cables for a old jump start box , took starter connection off wired the + right on the lug , took the starter mounting bolt off and hooked the ground there , OK lets see how fast she spins ,,, motors locked . the hyd pump is mounted to the front crankshaft so the best I could do was a small pry bar tried from  all angles nothing then it broke free . Got it to spin OK , next for the ignition , took the points & condenser out , cleaned everything including where they mount but could get my fingers in for the little condenser screw , after 1/2 hour I gave up and ran the -coil wire don to the battery I hook the condenser right there , for the + side of the coil right that right to the battery to . Cranked over and got spark ! But by that time the battery was weak . called it a night . last night armed with a recharged battery and the charger hook up to it to , would get a few pops then let the battery charge up , came back a few more time then it ran on starting fluid for 10 seconds , OK lets try putting gas in a tank that hasn't had gas in years , , little more trying and it RUNS   :dancingbanana:  :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:  :dancingbanana:   the next will be all putting the electrical system back together enough drive on someone's trailer  and  get this thing   OUT OF HERE  

• NUTNDUN, Bolens 1000, olcowhand and 10 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted September 25, 2015 - 06:07 AM

I have a 1971 Ford 4500 that I only use occassionally. It gives trouble like you discribe(usually because of mice) but I get it running and use it. It paid for itself 18 years ago when I put in the septic system. I pays for it maintenance each time I use it now.

The clutch on my Ford 2000 collapsed and I need the 4500 to pull it up to the house to split the tractor and replace the clutch. Later I will need the 4500 to help work on my AC HD6G. All three of my heavy machines need each other to get things done.

I ask you to think about fixing it all up and keeping it. They can be a savior when you are in trouble. Also, on a practical note, they go for $5000 and up around here, when working right. I have had trouble with the fuel filter screen in the petcock at the bottom of the fuel tank. Good Luck, Rick

• Alc said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,318 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted September 25, 2015 - 06:22 AM

First off... Where's the pics?
Secondly, congrats on getting her running again!

BTW, what's the plan when you need something big done?
  • Alc, KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted September 25, 2015 - 06:47 AM

Yeah! Some pix, some Price, some address (heh)!  PA ought to have lots of tractor guys for Ford or any brand and would buy for right price.

#5 tiretrx ONLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 938 Thanks
  • 686 posts

Posted September 25, 2015 - 07:27 AM

Sounds a lot like my Ford 3000 story, except yours RUNS !!!!  :wallbanging:  That feeling never gets old when they fire and run. Glad to hear about the happy ending, congrats :thumbs:

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted September 25, 2015 - 07:52 AM

I'll post pictures tonight .It's pretty rough ,  lots of surface rust , most hoses need replacing .  I offered it to my son for his place  if he wants but if he wants to go haves on something newer and 4wd I go in with him on that .

#7 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted September 25, 2015 - 08:01 AM

I'm glad to hear you got it going.  

I think you are better off getting something a little newer.  By going in halves with your son, you might cut the maintenance in half.

Good luck with it.

• Alc said thank you

#8 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,804 Thanks
  • 2,206 posts

Posted September 25, 2015 - 06:19 PM

Yah, where's the pics???

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted September 25, 2015 - 06:29 PM

When I tried using the hydraulics last night nothing happened so to start today was adding 2 1/2 gl hyd. fluid . Put the battery up in the correct location ( these pis are from last night when the battery was just on the ground )  Had the starting fluid handy but wasn't needed just the choke .First handle I grabbed rasied the bucket until it blew a hose , tilted the bucket another started leaking lol raised one outrigger but blew the main line going to the backhoe  controls.Was up high enough to see if it would move and once I figured where reverse was backed it up a few feet .Didn't want to move too far until I could add air to the rear tires  I filled the fronts but rears are loaded so valve stems might be frozen on . Tried turning the steering wheel but no go , added some p/s fluid and now it seems to be working the air out Over all I'm happy , the wife came over and was listening to it run , " it really runs smooth you should fix it and keep it "    :wallbanging:

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN1851.JPG
  • DSCN1849.JPG

• olcowhand, Bruce Dorsi, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#10 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted September 25, 2015 - 08:58 PM

Well, that backhoe sure looks big on there. Think I would have to remove that for now and fix-up the loader and tractor part. I would think that big backhoe is almost the Least desirable part of this whole rig. Looks like it needs to go to a bigger tractor. Sell the Ho, and keep the loader tractor, done!

#11 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted September 26, 2015 - 05:45 AM

Grumpy the hoe isn't as big as it looks . Its an old Sherman backhoe from something like a 8n that was adapted to it when I bought it . It wasn't plumbed in so instead of trying to hook the hoes pump to the pto shaft I used a 2 way push/pull valve right under the loader valve . Every hose is going to need to be replaced , today I'll go above the garage to go through the hoses and fittings I've been saving over the years . I'm re-hosing a cable reel trailer at work so might be able to use a few old ones that might still have some life in them .

#12 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,567 Thanks
  • 3,950 posts

Posted September 26, 2015 - 06:24 AM

Over all I'm happy , the wife came over and was listening to it run , " it really runs smooth you should fix it and keep it "    :wallbanging:

Al, don't you just love their logic somedays...... 

• Alc said thank you

#13 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted September 26, 2015 - 06:38 AM

Yea , complained about not using it for ten years now I'm ready to get rid of she wants to me keep it lol
  • olcowhand and shorty have said thanks

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,318 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted September 26, 2015 - 09:17 PM

Al, thats a great looking piece of old Iron

Loving the fact that you're getting the bugger running and moving.

How many handles on the controls?  Looks like an old 4 handle plus the riggers?

Re: Push-pull control... Isn't it funny how many times you forget to pull it before getting settled to run the backhoe? :wallbanging:

• Alc said thank you

#15 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted September 27, 2015 - 06:12 AM

Yes the loader has 4 spools and when I got it there was some strange valve for the outriggers , I can't even remember how it was supposed to work but one spool for both . I had an old 3 spool valve that I plumbed in and capped off the center spool . I need to see if I can put a handle on the push/pull valve it was always hard to move but now its worse or I'm getting old and weak lol