• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 backyardtinker OFFLINE  

backyardtinker
  • Member No: 73578
  • 249 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted September 25, 2015 - 05:11 AM

Well, since I'm still fairly new to the hobby, and I have yet to find a topic that has explained this I figured I would ask the question. Where is the dividing line between a lawn tractor and a garden tractor? I have wondered this from the beginning. Is there some sort of definitive cut off point? Do lawn tractors only go up to a certain HP level or is it in the ability to attach implements to a machine that designates it as a GT? Tire size/ Perhaps a combination of these things. Maybe it's like the old saying by the famous televangelist that said (sic) "you can't define (a garden tractor), but you know it when yo see it......". Maybe I will finally get the answer to the $64 question. :D

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,521 Thanks
  • 3,914 posts

Posted September 25, 2015 - 05:23 AM

A GT has a heavier frame. Can easily pull ground working attachments. A LT is a light weight riding mower.
  • backyardtinker said thank you

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,750 Thanks
  • 7,522 posts

Posted September 25, 2015 - 05:43 AM

Above is true. I also add that a GT is more versatile and stronger. More attachments are made for it. A good GT has a castiron transmission and horizonal shaft engine. The rear wheels bolt on rather than slide on to the axle. LTs are good for mowing and pulling a light trailer. My Bolens can pull a regular trailer that will also carry it on the road.

Of couse there are some that are in between but there aren't many of them. They were usually called Yard Tractors. I have an AC 916T which is a YT. It is as big as an AC GT but the engine is verticle and the rear wheels slide onto the axles. Visit www.simpletractors.com  to see information on Simplicity LTs and GTs. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, September 25, 2015 - 05:44 AM.

• propane1 and backyardtinker have said thanks

#4 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted September 25, 2015 - 05:45 AM

Component wise think of a LT as a light Duty 1/2 pick up and the GT as a HD 3/4 PICK UP. The estate tractors are more like a 1 ton dually componet wise.

Edited by rustyoldjunk, September 25, 2015 - 06:29 AM.

• shorty, pigsitter, HANKG and 1 other said thanks

#5 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,450 Thanks
  • 3,359 posts

Posted September 25, 2015 - 06:31 AM

The slide on wheels are not a always a good indicator. Some garden tractors had large axles with heavy keyways, that would hold up similar to a 4-5 bolt wheel and the transaxles were capable of ground engaging. But generally you're right.

What I call the tweeners, are the most confusing. Some have heavy frames but the trans axle isn't good for heavy work, some are the other way around. Some tweeners look the part, with bigger wheels and tires, longer wheelbase, etc... but are way too light weight for heavy work. Research is your friend.

• boyscout862, pigsitter and backyardtinker have said thanks

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,243 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted September 25, 2015 - 06:31 AM

Above is all correct, add to it that as a rule of thumb the GT's have 12" rear rims and the LT's have 10's or 8's
The big defining difference is if the MFG has designated them to be able to utilize Ground Engaging Equipment like plows', discs, etc.
If they are OK'd for those duties, then the mfg also had available an optional lifting (usually rear) hitch for them do do so.
LT's have only a tongue to pull yard carts with.
Many LT's had the ability to mount a front snow blade. These should not be confused with the front blades on a GT. These are usually designed to be dirt moving as well.
As an addendum, I have a couple of GT's with vert shaft engines. They are on the lighter end of GT-dom, but are GT's none the less.
  • rustyoldjunk and backyardtinker have said thanks

#7 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,104 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted September 25, 2015 - 08:11 AM

Heavier, with the capability for plows, disks and tillers. Had able to haul heavy loads. I think of gt's as mini farm tractors. Lt's and yt's normally can't use ground engaging tools. Pulled these of my trailer last night with my John Deere 140. I would not even think of hooking a LT or YT to these to get them off the trailer. Noel

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

#8 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,941 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted September 25, 2015 - 08:27 AM

Some times looks can be deceiving.

RED is a 1990 Craftsman, Keyed rear axle, vertical engine, 6 speed aluminum transaxle, thin rear tow plate.

Hulk II is a 1988 Craftsman II, 5 lug rear wheels, horozontal engine, 3 speed (hi-lo) cast iron transaxle, rear plate made for ground enguageing implements.

Both look almost identical, need to look close to see the differences between LT and GT here.

Attached Thumbnails

• post-415-0-14355000-1355702029.jpg
  • post-415-0-26581600-1358805389.jpg

• KennyP, shorty, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,388 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted September 25, 2015 - 06:10 PM

Some times looks can be deceiving.

RED is a 1990 Craftsman, Keyed rear axle, vertical engine, 6 speed aluminum transaxle, thin rear tow plate.

Hulk II is a 1988 Craftsman II, 5 lug rear wheels, horozontal engine, 3 speed (hi-lo) cast iron transaxle, rear plate made for ground enguageing implements.

Both look almost identical, need to look close to see the differences between LT and GT here.

The real thing is knowing what you are looking at!

#10 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,450 Thanks
  • 3,359 posts

Posted September 26, 2015 - 07:13 AM

My AYP built Wizard was almost identical to the Craftsman GT6000 of the same era, had vertical shaft engine and the frame was not super heavy, but heavy enough to be a garden tractor, had a heavy duty 5 speed manual, factory integral sleeve hitch that of course used the lift handle on the tractor. It had keyed axles with 23/12.50 tires.

#11 backyardtinker OFFLINE  

backyardtinker
  • Member No: 73578
  • 249 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted September 28, 2015 - 06:57 PM

A big thank you to all who have responded! That clears it up nicely. I guess my Craftsman GT6000 is on the low end of the GT spectrum with a lighter frame and overall weight than my Bolens Duratrac 2000 which is considerably heavier and more ruggedly built with the ability to engage the ground with numerous implements. My craftsman struggles as a "bull dozer" but plows snow very well, even the New England winter of winters last year didn't stop it. Can't wait 'til the Bolens is finished and I can compare them side by side in service.

• propane1 said thank you

#12 javjacob OFFLINE  

javjacob
  • Member No: 73130
  • 37 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted October 03, 2015 - 11:43 AM

The simple answer is GT's are built to handle ground engaging equipment. LT's are just lawn mowers... just a little tractor that was made to mow the grass at a lower price point. GT's can do it all.

Think of the difference in a lawn and a garden.

What do you do to a lawn? You mow it, some fertilize it and maybe pull a aerator across it once a year and that's about it.

What do you do to a garden? Plow it, grade it, till it ect.